Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement Screen iPhone 6

• 28-01-2016 11:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭

So I broke my iPhone 6 screen this morning and got onto Apple who are looking for €260+ off me for an 'out-of-warranty' screen repair so I'm going to explore other options. I would like to attempt to try to replace it myself but has anyone any experience of doing it? And where would be the best place to purchase a new screen and the tools to replace it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

glued wrote: »
    So I broke my iPhone 6 screen this morning and got onto Apple who are looking for €260+ off me for an 'out-of-warranty' screen repair so I'm going to explore other options. I would like to attempt to try to replace it myself but has anyone any experience of doing it? And where would be the best place to purchase a new screen and the tools to replace it?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=98351980&postcount=4

€127 from apple, supply and fit. Be aware that if there is any other damage, casing or otherwise, this price will head north of €300.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

dodzy wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=98351980&postcount=4

€127 from apple, supply and fit. Be aware that if there is any other damage, casing or otherwise, this price will head north of €300.

Hey,

Thanks for the reply.

The €127 deal only applies to iPhone's that are still in warranty, ie less than 12 months old. My phone is 15 months old so Apple want to charge me north of €260 for the privilege.

glued wrote: »
    Hey,

Thanks for the reply.

The €127 deal only applies to iPhone's that are still in warranty, ie less than 12 months old. My phone is 15 months old so Apple want to charge me north of €260 for the privilege.

Yep, I was 100% sure that was the case too but another poster corrected me recently so I did what any doubting Thomas would do - I rang Apple ;)

Guess what ? He was correct and I went back to eat some humble pie afterwards and edited my post. It applies to phones outside of warranty also with the proviso that there is absolutely no other damage (housing included). If this is the case, and it's only the screen, then it's €127.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Get one on eBay and do it yourself. It's simple. I've broken mine 3 times in 4 months (ridiculous, I know :/ ). Last week I decided to get one from a guy in Blackrock on eBay and change it myself. It took all of about 20 minutes and cost €95.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 SusieZoom

have you tried talbot st? They do repairs for such a cheap price. The shops look rather dodgy but Ive never had a problem with repairs there.

• Advertisement

Get one on eBay and do it yourself. It's simple. I've broken mine 3 times in 4 months (ridiculous, I know :/ ). Last week I decided to get one from a guy in Blackrock on eBay and change it myself. It took all of about 20 minutes and cost €95.
    €95 for a non-OEM part and having to DIY as opposed to a warranty repair with original part for an extra 30€ ?

A bit of a no-brainer I think.

Advertisement