Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax relief on rental Income

Options
  • 28-01-2016 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

Quick one guys

If i rent a house for 2016, can i offset repairs that i did in 2015 against the tax on the rental income ?

Or do the repairs have to be in the same year as the rental

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Mitzy

It depends on whether the first letting for the property was in 2016.
    Any preletting expenses are not allowed for tax deduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭sunnyday1234

so if first rental was 1st jan 2016 but i had it cleaned in december for the new tenants - is that not available to offset?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Quick one guys

If i rent a house for 2016, can i offset repairs that i did in 2015 against the tax on the rental income ?

Or do the repairs have to be in the same year as the rental

Have to be in the same year as the rental and during the rental, or between two different rentals. Cannot be done before you first rent it out I believe.

thanks and am i correct in saying i cant claim against a new sofa for example or water softener?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

thanks and am i correct in saying i cant claim against a new sofa for example or water softener?

They can be Capital Expenditure. 12.5% over 8 years but don't quote me on that.

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    They can be Capital Expenditure. 12.5% over 8 years but don't quote me on that.

ok thanks for the help

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Sofa you can write off on a flatline basis over 8 years.
    Water softener- probably not- I'd ask advice on this- but as a general rule, it probably wouldn't be allowable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

you claim for large items over 8 years ,
    eg 320 e fridge, from powercity, claim 40 euro for the next 8 years , 8x40 =320 .
    of course you,ll need the receipt from the shop.
    copy the reciept for your own tax records .
    small items say 40 euro kettle ,claim in the year it was bought .

Advertisement