Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Train or Motorway?

• 28-01-2016 12:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭

I'm editing my OP.

I worked in Dublin for over a year and I have usually got a city centre ticket.

I am now in professional training and go back to the new office at the start of April.

My previous job was always finishing at 5.15 pm everyday, so I know how long it would take to get back to the station and home.

New job will mean not sure on finishing times everyday. But it will never be before 6 pm and will probably be between 6.30-7.00 pm.

There will be free parking at the new office.

Basically wondering would I be better off driving seeing as I will have free parking and later finishing times?

Also what will it be like cost wise? - train for city centre ticket will be around €200 p/m, I'm guessing driving will be around €240 p/m.

I will be coming from the N7 at the Naas junction and driving to the Ballsbridge area.

Anyone any ideas on costs and what traffic is like on the M50 after 6.30?

It's around 50km, and usually without much traffic it would be 40 mins.. but what about the times I stated above?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

If you get a bike, where would you leave it when you are getting the train home in the evening. During the peak commuter times, you can't take a bike with you on the train.

Where are you commuting to/from specifically? The "far side of the city" could be anywhere. It's a bit hard to offer up opinions on the driving option, unless people know where you're going and what M50 exits you'll be using. Some of them have terrible bottlenecks at rush hour, some are okish.

If you get a bike, where would you leave it when you are getting the train home in the evening? you can't take a bike with you on the train, during peak commuter times,

Where are you commuting to/from specifically? The "far side of the city" could be anywhere. It's a bit hard to offer up opinions on the driving option, unless people know where you're going and what M50 exits you'll be using. Some of them have terrible bottlenecks at rush hour, some are okish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

More details please. It doesn't actually rain all that often so using Dublin Bikes after getting off the train might be handiest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

ProudDUB wrote: »
    If you get a bike, where would you leave it when you are getting the train home in the evening. During the peak commuter times, you can't take a bike with you on the train.

I don't like giving specific details but around the D4 area.

I am well aware that you cannot bring a bike onto the train, however you can bring fold up bikes, which I would buy.

I would be taking the Cork exit on the M50 so onto the N7. I could however take the Tallaght exit and head onto the N7 from there. Again, would rarely be leaving the office before 6 and could be in until 7 a lot of evenings. Is traffic a lot calmer at these times along the M50?
    More details please. It doesn't actually rain all that often so using Dublin Bikes after getting off the train might be handiest.

Have been keeping an eye on Dublin bikes - any morning I've ever got to the station there has never been any bikes available. No point in this option really unless there would be bikes available.

Is doesn't rain all that often? Ha, good one!!

Thanks for the reply though.

I'm kind of aware of Dublin bikes/biking in general, also aware of buses and LUAS as I've worked near this area before, however I used to finish at 5.15 on the dot everyday so there was trains every 15 mins and it was a lot easier to judge what one you would get everyday and what time you'd be home. The profession I am going into now I won't be able to just "clock out" so to speak, and as I said could leave one day 5.50, another day 6.20 another day 7.10. So I thought considering that there is free parking at the office that if the traffic was a lot calmer after 6 or 6.30 that maybe it would be better to drive. As I said I would be only 50km from work so if there was barely any traffic it would only be a 40 min journey. I wouldn't mind 60-75 mins though. But anymore than that and I might as well just get the train as at least on a train you can sit there and go on the iPad or read a book or whatever.

Appreciate all the replies though. Just trying to gauge how driving would be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Buffman

chops018 wrote: »
    I don't like giving specific details but around the D4 area.

I've read your posts a couple of times and still have no idea where you're coming or going from/to? Are you living in D4 looking to commute to west Dublin for work? Are you going towards Dublin or Naas on the N7? Is the train you're referring to the Dart?

We don't need names and addresses but the areas would help? For example you live in Dundrum looking to commute to Parkwest.

Based on the limited info you gave, the uncertain finish times and free parking would lean me towards driving, but without specifics I can't give you any solid advice.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Advertisement

Buffman wrote: »
    I've read your posts a couple of times and still have no idea where you're coming or going from/to? Are you living in D4 looking to commute to west Dublin for work? Are you going towards Dublin or Naas on the N7? Is the train you're referring to the Dart?

We don't need names and addresses but the areas would help? For example you live in Dundrum looking to commute to Parkwest.

Based on the limited info you gave, the uncertain finish times and free parking would lean me towards driving, but without specifics I can't give you any solid advice.

Apologies.

I don't like being too specific to be honest so prefer to say general area.

Would be commuting from the Naas direction on the N7 to the D4 area, near Ballsbridge.

Referring to the train.

Yes, so finish times will more than likely range from anywhere between 6-7, parking at the office is free, so driving would be handy to just hop in the car right away and drive home, but don't like the idea of sitting in traffic on the M50 but if I was to leave around 6.30 or 7.00 pm I am wondering is traffic a lot calmer? Also cost-wise train would be 176 p/m so wondering would driving be much more expensive?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Is there anywhere in Ballsbridge that's 45 minutes walk from Lansdowne or Sandymount DART stations? You're talking 45 mins from Heuston?

If you give us a street it would help. You might be able to get a bus, either a Dublin Bus or provincial bus that would drop you closer?

n97 mini wrote: »
    Is there anywhere in Ballsbridge that's 45 minutes walk from Lansdowne or Sandymount DART stations? You're talking 45 mins from Heuston?

If you give us a street it would help. You might be able to get a bus, either a Dublin Bus or provincial bus that would drop you closer?

My question is directed at driving and the times and costs compared to train/LUAS/bus.

I know all about the above, I know what buses go to and fro, also usual times.

Wondering if anyone knows what the traffic is like on the M50 after 6 pm really and cost of doing about 50km up and back per week in a 1.6 petrol.

Apologies.

I don't like being too specific to be honest so prefer to say general area.
    No worries, I understand where you're coming from.
    Would be commuting from the Naas direction on the N7 to the D4 area, near Ballsbridge.

Yes, so finish times will more than likely range from anywhere between 6-7, parking at the office is free, so driving would be handy to just hop in the car right away and drive home, but don't like the idea of sitting in traffic on the M50 but if I was to leave around 6.30 or 7.00 pm I am wondering is traffic a lot calmer? Also cost-wise train would be 176 p/m so wondering would driving be much more expensive?

Thanks.
    It's probably the morning commute which would be harder to put a time on and most likely to delay you as the M50 southbound can grind to a halt without warning. Also the inbound N7 can be a disaster if there's an incident. The evening time should be easing off, as in medium traffic, at the times you're thinking of.

Regarding cost, as you already have the car on the road and paid for, you'll have to estimate how far e176 worth of fuel will get you and would it equal a month of commuting.

It might be worth trying all your options and then decide which is best for you.

There may also be buses serving UCD which might be an option for you.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

Buffman wrote: »
    No worries, I understand where you're coming from.

It's probably the morning commute which would be harder to put a time on and most likely to delay you as the M50 southbound can grind to a halt without warning. Also the inbound N7 can be a disaster if there's an incident. The evening time should be easing off, as in medium traffic, at the times you're thinking of.

Regarding cost, as you already have the car on the road and paid for, you'll have to estimate how far e176 worth of fuel will get you and would it equal a month of commuting.

It might be worth trying all your options and then decide which is best for you.

There may also be buses serving UCD which might be an option for you.

Thanks for the reply.

As I said I worked near enough where the new office I will be working in before and the few times I did drive in the morning I left at 7.30 and was always there for around 8.30.

Evenings were a joke but I was leaving 5.15.

Don't see a point in stopping at UCD and getting a bus if I have free parking at the office, agree?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Jem72

The car will almost certainly be quicker, but that will change dramatically once the Phoenix Park tunnel is operational. A folding bike between Heuston and Tara Street might work for you. Costs are a different matter.

240 per month is a very optimistic estimate for running a 1.6 petrol car. Even at current costs, that will probably be your fuel costs a alone for 50km 10 times a week.

It will vary according to the age of your car but maintenance on a 10 year old car will be about 1,000 euro a year to do 24,000 km plus the odd random 2 grand choice between fix or replace. A newer car will be about 400 a year (one or two services and 2 or 3 tyres). 200,000 km will be your limit for the car to remain reliable enough for that kind of milage so you'll effectively be replacing a new 20 grand car every 8 years or a 12 grand good second hand car after 4 years. If you start with a banger, it will leave you on the side of the road a couple of times a year and you can add tows to your bill.

People rarely take wear and tear and depreciation into account when it comes to running a car on a commute. Also, 200 a month is a bit on the high side for the cost of public transport if you're able to get TaxSaver. I pay less than this for a point-to-point from Edgeworthstown which is 120km each way.

Don't see a point in stopping at UCD and getting a bus if I have free parking at the office, agree?

Sorry, I meant there are bus services coming from Naas heading to UCD which might serve Ballsbridge, so no need to change transport modes.

But, the fact you already have the car on the road, free parking, and variable working hours would swing me towards the car.

Jem72 wrote: »
    The car will almost certainly be quicker, but that will change dramatically once the Phoenix Park tunnel is operational. A folding bike between Heuston and Tara Street might work for you. Costs are a different matter.

240 per month is a very optimistic estimate for running a 1.6 petrol car. Even at current costs, that will probably be your fuel costs a alone for 50km 10 times a week.

It will vary according to the age of your car but maintenance on a 10 year old car will be about 1,000 euro a year to do 24,000 km plus the odd random 2 grand choice between fix or replace. A newer car will be about 400 a year (one or two services and 2 or 3 tyres). 200,000 km will be your limit for the car to remain reliable enough for that kind of milage so you'll effectively be replacing a new 20 grand car every 8 years or a 12 grand good second hand car after 4 years. If you start with a banger, it will leave you on the side of the road a couple of times a year and you can add tows to your bill.

People rarely take wear and tear and depreciation into account when it comes to running a car on a commute. Also, 200 a month is a bit on the high side for the cost of public transport if you're able to get TaxSaver. I pay less than this for a point-to-point from Edgeworthstown which is 120km each way.

Yeah I was keeping an eye on the Phoenix Park tunnel and how that will operate. Heck, it would even be only a 15 min walk from Grand Canal Dock to where I am going, which would be grand. If the LUAS lines were already connected and running there wouldn't even be a discussion as I would probably just get that.

However my worry is that I am going into a job that isn't a 9-5 and you're out the door.. times may vary. If it's a late one and you get to Heuston at 7.50 pm you could be waiting 40 mins for the next train. Driving you just hop in and go, but obviously if traffic is still bad after 7 then no point.

I am not sure about the tax saver option with the new office. My previous job offered annual tax saver tickets but I didn't get it as I new (or hoped) I would be leaving so didn't see a point. As I am doing a traineeship I have a student card and can get student rates, but the tax saver rates are much better by the looks. I will look into it when I am back in the office, thanks for reminding me. Will be on min wage though so might not be much of a saving with that option.

I think I will just have to suss it out over 2-3 months and see what's the best.

I would love to just get a fold up bike and cycle across from the station as I know taking it easy on the bike I would be over there in only 15 mins, but I am worried that it would result in sweating arriving to a 10 hour work day ahead, or if it was raining one morning getting destroyed (suppose could always take the bus on the rainy mornings).

As I said, looking like I will have suss it out for myself.

Just think at present driving would be easiest as I am unsure of finishing times each evening and with free parking which you rarely get.

I was just trying to gauge costs and traffic in the evenings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

I travel to sandymount at least three times a week from Sallins, so I guess I'd be taking a similar enough route. I don't travel at the popular commute time in the morning, but if I leave here at 10am, I'll be at the junction beside Donnybrook garage at about 10.45.
    Going home - I find that the traffic starts getting bad from 4pm, and it begins to ease a bit by 6.30ish. If I set off from Sandymount at 5, I won't be home till 6.30 (on a good day) no matter what variation route I try, and I have tried many. If, however, I set out home at 6.30 or later then the traffic is moving nicely, and I'd be home in about an hour.
    Just for your own info - the route I take that I've found is the most reliable to keep moving is n7 - m50 - exit at junction 13 (Dundrum), take the 3rd exit at the roundabout to take that road up to sandyford, then drummartin link road all the way to beech hill road - then beaver row to the junction beside donnybrook garage.

My car is diesel and I'd say it costs me about €20 a week. Hope that all helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Jem72

The OP said he was driving a 1.6 petrol so fuel costs for the slightly greater distance would be twice that - depending on how old it is. I've had two old 1.6 petrol cars and both would struggle to do better than 25 MPG on the commute between cold starts and traffic.

I'd say if you've got an old car with low mileage, the balance of costs would work out around the same for driving for a couple of years particularly if TaxSaver is no use to you. If your car is relatively new and you're putting nearly 25,000 km commuting a year onto it, you'll destroy any resale value or it won't last you more than a few years. If it's old and high mileage, you'll start having reliability problems really quickly.

If the Phoenix Park Tunnel delivers as promised and you're 15 minutes from GCD, that will be a no-brainer even with your odd hours when that service starts up. Until then, you're probably better off with the car rather than taking multiple transport modes.

Thanks for all the posts guys.

It's a 2006. Lot's of mileage already on it.

I think you're right Jem - drive and wait for the Phoenix Park tunnel to open and then when the LUAS is connected, will have great public transport options then.

The Luas doesn't go to Ballsbridge. Even when the two lines are connected, I don't see how it will make your trip easier or quicker. As it stands now, you could get the Red Line all the way to the end of the line at the Point. It's about a 15/20 minute walk from there, to the Landsdowne Rd/Aviva stadium area of Ballsbridge. It'll be further, if your job is over at the Merrion Gates/Donnybrook end of Ballsbridge. Or use Dublin Bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

I'd take the car if the parking is free. It gives you more freedom with your times as you are not tied down to times of public transport and won't be stuck in the event of an incident that causes delays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

You could get a foldup bike. Those are allowed on anytime because you can collapse them and theres 0 issues with going on the train with those.

The hazelhatch to gcd connection is possibly slated for the autumn atm once the works are complete in the pearse yard area. Would be your best option then.

Infini2 wrote: »
    You could get a foldup bike. Those are allowed on anytime because you can collapse them and theres 0 issues with going on the train with those.

The hazelhatch to gcd connection is possibly slated for the autumn atm once the works are complete in the pearse yard area. Would be your best option then.

Yeah. I'm aware of the fold up bike situation.

I take the train everyday.

It's just with the new office, free parking and varying finishing times I am being inclined to drive.

Obviously cycling across would be the best time-wise as it would only take 15 mins. But what if it's lashing rain one morning, or middle of the summer and arrive in sweating buckets....

I don't fancy leaving my suits in work either and changing on arrival and leaving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭trellheim

It does not actually rain that often , whoever posted that was correct. LONG time cycle commuter here . Cycling in the summer is much nicer though.

I work in a big city centre office with no parking, theres a huge cohort of cyclists who change and shower in work - sure why would you not ?

It does not actually rain that often , whoever posted that was correct. LONG time cycle commuter here . Cycling in the summer is much nicer though.

I work in a big city centre office with no parking, theres a huge cohort of cyclists who change and shower in work - sure why would you not ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Lolly01

Hi Everyone,

sorry to jump on your post.

I was just wondering, how do you/did you commute from Naas to Ballsbridge? I am moving to Naas in a couple of weeks and need to be in Ballsbridge for work each day (9 to 5.15). Could you advise what you found to be the best route and realistic travel times?

Thank you!

Advertisement