Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Workshop Ducting Set-Up with this extractor

Options
  • 28-01-2016 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hello,

I want to set up extraction for my small workshop. My machines are as follows

• Hammer N4400 Bandsaw – with 120mm port
    • Makita LS1013L Compound Mitre saw
    • Trend router table
    • Pillar Drill

I’m considering buying this extractor :

http://www.recordpower.co.uk/product/150l-2000w-compact-wall-mounted-extractor-4-inlet#.Vqn4RvmLSM9

This will be about 3m from the bandsaw . Here is a diagram of the shop. Because of space constraints / configuration – machines cannot change position.

Extraction_zpsrq4wy9nc.png

I’d be really greatful for advice as to the best way to step-up from the 4’’ extractor to the 120mm/ 5’’ bandsaw. Or do I use a reducer at the bandsaw port to achieve this?

And then down to 2 ½ ‘’ for the rest of the machines.

As well as any recommendations on what specific ducting kit to purchase.

I’m more interested in a straighforward set up and will pay a litlle extra for this.

Thanks, Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Its a complicated subject. You would be better off getting a standard chip extractor for around the same money and adding a cartridge top. The Record has a small brush motor and simply can't get extraction levels of about 850 m3/ hour which is what you need.
    Have a browse on www.axminster.co.uk who have a good range of products. A 5" to 4" reducer is available for the Hammer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

There isn't much dust off any of those machines. Why not just set up a sweep up point and just brush what's there to it. Every ninty degree bend you put in and every port will kill suction ( regardless of what. They tell you) do you really want a clatter of pipes in a small workshop? 4 or 5 ports even when shut off will leave you with no suction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Ideally, any extraction system will fire up automatically and that's fine with machines that are used once a week. The miter saw is going to be used all day long and you should consider hooking it up to vacuum extractor with a 'slave' socket. One downside to having a big extractor connected to power tools is the energy they consume with every small crosscut and the heat they waste if situated outside the workshop.Have a look at 'Dust control made simple' by Sandor Nagyszalanczy - it even comes with its own DVD !

Advertisement