Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One controller woes

Options
  • 28-01-2016 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭

My Xbox One controller timeline -

December 2013 -
    Day One edition controller. Left analogue stick internal fault. Returned to Microsoft directly to be replaced with a Day One edition.

March 2014 -
    Day One edition controller (as replaced in Dec). Left analogue stick internal fault. Returned to Gamestop as I decided Day One edition were prone to this fault. Replaced with standard controller.

January 11th 2016 -
    Ordered and received one of the new revised controllers with 3.5mm jack. That same day the left analogue stick developed an internal fault. Returned to Amazon.

January 22nd 2016 -
    Received the replacement controller and yesterday it developed the same left analogue stick internal fault.

The controllers are in no way being mishandled. I'm using them exactly the same way as I used my still perfectly serviceable 360 or original Xbox controllers. There's clearly something wrong with the design of these controllers.

Has anyone else had issue with the new controllers with 3.5mm jack ?

https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/251650-console-accessories/suggestions/6251942-improve-sturdiness-of-left-stick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I've found even the 360 controllers have pretty poor quality for a 50 euro product, some of mine have developed sticky and spongy buttons within only a matter of months of use.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

That's bonkers OP
    I've had no problems with any of my console controllers.
    And I've a lot!
    Seems like you're just unlucky, or is there something specific about the Xbox One?
    My launch 360 pad is still working albeit with a change of batteries some 11 years later, though my now 12 year old son chewed the rubber analogue sticks back when he was 1!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    That's bonkers OP
    I've had no problems with any of my console controllers.
    And I've a lot!
    Seems like you're just unlucky, or is there something specific about the Xbox One?
    My launch 360 pad is still working albeit with a change of batteries some 11 years later, though my now 12 year old son chewed the rubber analogue sticks back when he was 1!

The first couple of day one edition's that broke I put it down to new tech and bad luck. Each of the new ones broke after only a couple of hours in exactly the same way. I heard a crack inside the controller and after that the stick clicks when it reaches a certain point of rotation.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

That's insane, can't believe you've had that run of bad luck. The left thumbstick does seem to be an issue, but thankfully it hasn't happened on any of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Youre-holding-it-wrong-Samsung-documentation-instructs-you-about-the-right-way-to-hold-the-Galaxy-S-III.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭Corvo

Can you post up a picture of your left hand please? My suspicion is that you have a hand ala Hills Have Eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

My controller has developed issues with Left Analogue Stick the last week or so as well. While centred, the output always appears to be a command to move up/forward etc. Have a new one waiting for me to collect today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Rorok

The on,y problem that has ever happend with me for controllers is my dog chewed one of the analog sticks

This is exactly the same issue as I have - https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/251650-console-accessories/suggestions/6251942-improve-sturdiness-of-left-stick

I've a replacement on the way. Hopefully this one lasts more than a few hours.

This is exactly the same issue as I have - https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/251650-console-accessories/suggestions/6251942-improve-sturdiness-of-left-stick

I've a replacement on the way. Hopefully this one lasts more than a few hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Praise be! Someone else who has experienced the woes of the substandard Xbone controller!

I too have had a 'few' faulty controllers whereas in years of playing the xbox 360 I had none whatsoever, apart from replacing worn thumbsticks.

I exchanged my latest faulty controller at the retailer just last Wednesday, everytime they give me a fresh receipt which I have kept. I counted how many of these 'exchange receipts' I have and they numbered 14! FOURTEEN controllers have all developed the same fault on the left thumbstick. FOURTEEN.

Think that's bad? Add another 4 to that, these four went on holiday to Microsoft repair centre in Germany to be sorted.

So that's EIGHTEEN Xbox One controllers, all with the same fault.

I hasten to add that I only really play Fifa, I don't play it even half as much as I would have done in my single days on the 360, and not one 360 controller gave me bother. Next gen my farce. I would love one of them Elite controllers for a while to see how they fare.

Also, the last dude in the retailer that exchanged it for me also said he and his mates have encountered the same issue.

On the whole, a better controller but they've skimped on a key part - previously it was metal on the 360 controller, the same part is plastic on the One controller.

Edit: Google tells me that the elite controller has the same shoddy materials inside.

Im not too sure this is a problem with my controller, but when I play xbox one, normally I have the controller sort of upside-down and the left analog stick seems to be popping in and out a small bit (like Vevex) however it doesnt really bother me, would I be able to get a new ond for free cause I think the warranty is running out and I dont want to pay to get it fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liamalone wrote: »
    Praise be! Someone else who has experienced the woes of the substandard Xbone controller!

I too have had a 'few' faulty controllers whereas in years of playing the xbox 360 I had none whatsoever, apart from replacing worn thumbsticks.

I exchanged my latest faulty controller at the retailer just last Wednesday, everytime they give me a fresh receipt which I have kept. I counted how many of these 'exchange receipts' I have and they numbered 14! FOURTEEN controllers have all developed the same fault on the left thumbstick. FOURTEEN.

Think that's bad? Add another 4 to that, these four went on holiday to Microsoft repair centre in Germany to be sorted.

So that's EIGHTEEN Xbox One controllers, all with the same fault.

I hasten to add that I only really play Fifa, I don't play it even half as much as I would have done in my single days on the 360, and not one 360 controller gave me bother. Next gen my farce. I would love one of them Elite controllers for a while to see how they fare.

Also, the last dude in the retailer that exchanged it for me also said he and his mates have encountered the same issue.

On the whole, a better controller but they've skimped on a key part - previously it was metal on the 360 controller, the same part is plastic on the One controller.

Edit: Google tells me that the elite controller has the same shoddy materials inside.

The console was released in November 13 so if you had the console since then that's 27/28 months. So your going through a controller every 6 weeks.

Man no offence but you must have hams for hands if your going through them so fast.

There is a known problem and my launch day controller developed that fault in November 15 so two years after I got it. And that involved thousands and thousands of hours of play, and I'm not exatly gentle with it, even fell off the TV stand a good few times.

My only advice would be to ease up on the controller when you are playing and it'll last much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

Hi all

I got an xbox one start of October in xtra vision. The RB button was abit stiff and would kinda stick alittle bit when I first got it but thought that was just cos it was new but now when you hit RB it just stays down and the only way to pop it back into place is by moving the right trigger in and out Afew times until it pops back up (kinda makes playing madden a pain in the arse)

Would it be Microsoft I would have to contact about this since xtra vision have went tits up?

Any help or links would be most appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭Liamalone

emmetkenny wrote: »
    The console was released in November 13 so if you had the console since then that's 27/28 months. So your going through a controller every 6 weeks.

Man no offence but you must have hams for hands if your going through them so fast.

There is a known problem and my launch day controller developed that fault in November 15 so two years after I got it. And that involved thousands and thousands of hours of play, and I'm not exatly gentle with it, even fell off the TV stand a good few times.

My only advice would be to ease up on the controller when you are playing and it'll last much longer.

Only got the console for Fifa 15 in September 2014 so that's 17 months lol

My playing style isn't at fault here, 7 years playing footy games on the 360 the same way and no controller issues. First Xbone controller lasted a week I think. Only 'variable' that has changed is the material used for a component in the controller is now plastic instead of metal. Metal is stronger than plastic I think, plastic is cheaper than metal I would think. Money talks.

It doesn't even bother me anymore, I play it for 4 hours a week tops on a good week so there's a decent gap between them breaking. The retailer in question hasn't refused a replacement yet and I'm able to have a KFC while I'm in the area. Mmmmm KFC.

Me no got arms like hams, me just push hard at times. Mmmmm ham.

Think I'm hungry.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭ShaunC

I also have the left thumbstick issue on my replacement day one controller, my first controller lasted a few months and the replacement lasted just over a year (both day one controllers).
    I bought a spare controller and have it two years now which never gave me a problem, could the issue be with the first gen controller? Should Microsoft do a recall on these obviously faulty controllers?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I suggest people bring in their hands for replacement if they are experiencing this issue :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

My lb button gets stuck every now and again but i notice an issue with responsiveness off buttons when playing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭tripperman

On to my thrid controller in 18 months now it's a covert forces one hope it lasts better then the previous two, they don't get any abuse, was playing Madden and found the A button in responsive by Times and that when running or passing going slightly left, but put on A.C. syndicate and going for a leap of Faith just as I do he turns left and falls the wrong way, seems the left thumb stick is gone, can't bring it back to where it was bought for me as a present as xtravision are gone

tripperman wrote: »
    On to my thrid controller in 18 months now it's a covert forces one hope it lasts better then the previous two, they don't get any abuse, was playing Madden and found the A button in responsive by Times and that when running or passing going slightly left, but put on A.C. syndicate and going for a leap of Faith just as I do he turns left and falls the wrong way, seems the left thumb stick is gone, can't bring it back to where it was bought for me as a present as xtravision are gone

Im pretty sure hmv will deal with it if its xtravision

• Advertisement

I'd say get on to MS about it so, well within warranty. By phone not the web chat if you want to save your self time and a headache.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭tripperman

I'd say get on to MS about it so, well within warranty. By phone not the web chat if you want to save your self time and a headache.

Thanks will try that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

The right trigger on my Covert controller is beginning to stick. :mad:

I've had it for 6 months and it was a big improvement over the standard controller (better d-pad and bumper buttons).

Anyone have any experience returning controllers to Argos? Is it usually straightforward to get a replacement?

The controller itself was well looked after and didn't get a huge amount of use in the grand scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,231 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I got 2 with mine about 16 months ago and they were both faulty within 3 or so months. Sent one away but the left stick cracked on the other one and it's still gathering dust at home. Still works but there is definitely a loose part inside. The other one had a thumbstick drag issue. As with others here I rarely if ever had an issue with controllers before and I used to play an awful lot more 6 or 7 years ago.

Hmmmm, I've noticed a drift on my controller as well.

Disappointing, because the Xbox One controller is great but it definitely isn't as bulletproof as the old 360 controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

The right trigger on my Covert controller is beginning to stick. :mad:

I've had it for 6 months and it was a big improvement over the standard controller (better d-pad and bumper buttons).

Anyone have any experience returning controllers to Argos? Is it usually straightforward to get a replacement?

The controller itself was well looked after and didn't get a huge amount of use in the grand scheme of things.
    I've the covert controller for 4 months, and the left trigger is getting stuck... I mostly play is Fifa and even at that I haven't played it to death.

There's a lot to be said about the aul 360 controllers...

Any luck with returning to Argos?

erkifino wrote: »
    I've the covert controller for 4 months, and the left trigger is getting stuck... I mostly play is Fifa and even at that I haven't played it to death.

There's a lot to be said about the aul 360 controllers...

Any luck with returning to Argos?

Will head there over the weekend.

They don't seem to have the Covert controllers in stock, so not sure what's going to happen.

Headed to Argos today. They exchanged the controller no problem, but because they don't stock the Covert version anymore, I had to pay the €18 difference to get the regular controller.

Bit crap, as there really isn't any difference now between the Covert and the regular one as far as I can tell i.e. the normal controller has the 3.5mm headphone socket now too.

Tried to argue the point with yer wan at the till, but no dice. F for customer service for Argos from me today

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Headed to Argos today. They exchanged the controller no problem, but because they don't stock the Covert version anymore, I had to pay the €18 difference to get the regular controller.

Bit crap, as there really isn't any difference now between the Covert and the regular one as far as I can tell i.e. the normal controller has the 3.5mm headphone socket now too.

Tried to argue the point with yer wan at the till, but no dice. F for customer service for Argos from me today

You were only paying the difference between the list price of both controllers.

Same as if you bought a 300 TV and brought it back because of a fault but decided you wanted a 500 TV instead. You have to pay the difference.

• Advertisement

emmetkenny wrote: »
    You were only paying the difference between the list price of both controllers.

Same as if you bought a 300 TV and brought it back because of a fault but decided you wanted a 500 TV instead. You have to pay the difference.

Is there any actual difference between the Covert and normal controller now though, apart from the colour?

To me, its like returning a blue lamp that wasn't working, and then having to pay the difference between a red lamp, when in fact it is the same lamp.

Advertisement