Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One controller woes

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Is there any actual difference between the Covert and normal controller now though, apart from the colour?

To me, its like returning a blue lamp that wasn't working, and then having to pay the difference between a red lamp, when in fact it is the same lamp.

No difference only price in the catalogue.

If you bought the blue lamp for €50 originally and the red lamp was €60 then you'd expect to pay the difference when returning the Blue for red.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

emmetkenny wrote: »
    No difference only price in the catalogue.

If you bought the blue lamp for €50 originally and the red lamp was €60 then you'd expect to pay the difference when returning the Blue for red.

Well, then definitely I shouldn't have to pay the difference. Why should I pay the difference when the item was faulty? I wasn't changing the controller because I didn't like the colour. It was faulty.

Well, then definitely I shouldn't have to pay the difference. Why should I pay the difference when the item was faulty? I wasn't changing the controller because I didn't like the colour. It was faulty.

Are you actually being serious here?

You can't see why you would have to pay the difference between an originally lower price item and a more expensive item?

If Argos had have had another Covert Controller in stock then you would have swapped like for like. They didn't so you opted to swap a cheaper controller for a more expensive one so you have to pay the difference to get the more expensive controller.

Are you actually being serious here?

You can't see why you would have to pay the difference between an originally lower price item and a more expensive item?

If Argos had have had another Covert Controller in stock then you would have swapped like for like. They didn't so you opted to swap a cheaper controller for a more expensive one so you have to pay the difference to get the more expensive controller.

But they are essentially the same controller. It's not my problem that they don't stock the covert one anymore.

They are essentially changing like for like in my book.

Anyway, there's a difference between following the rule book to the letter and customer service.

But they are essentially the same controller. It's not my problem that they don't stock the covert one anymore.

They are essentially changing like for like in my book.

Anyway, there's a difference between following the rule book to the letter and customer service.

Argos are exceptional at customer service. They honor misprices and everything.

The controllers are fundamentally the same but are DIFFERENT products, hence the different catalogue codes.

As they are different products you are not exchanging like for like but two similar products with different prices.

What essentially happened was you were given store credit to the value of the Covert Controller and then used this credit and paid the extra for the more expensive controller.

• Advertisement

Argos are exceptional at customer service. They honor misprices and everything.

The controllers are fundamentally the same but are DIFFERENT products, hence the different catalogue codes.

As they are different products you are not exchanging like for like but two similar products with different prices.

What essentially happened was you were given store credit to the value of the Covert Controller and then used this credit and paid the extra for the more expensive controller.

Fundamentally the same but different products? Does Argos' almighty catalogue and product codes supersede common sense now?

We've very different definitions of great customer services it would seem.

Anyway, don't want to drag this discussion on and on. I'll give customer service a ring on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

Spudman, did they offer a cash refund?

erkifino wrote: »
    Spudman, did they offer a cash refund?

They offered me store credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

I could be wrong, but if the product isn't of merchantable quality, you're entitled to get it repaired or replaced or get a refund... I know hindsight is great but Smyths are selling standard controllers for €41.99...

erkifino wrote: »
    I could be wrong, but if the product isn't of merchantable quality, you're entitled to get it repaired or replaced or get a refund... I know hindsight is great but Smyths are selling standard controllers for €41.99...

The controller was of merchantable quality but they have a manufacturering defect where a small piece of plastic breaks off in the thumbstick and causes drift.

Under consumer law your entitled to repair, replacement and then refund. As far as I'm aware the retailer has two attempts to repair before you can get a replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,293 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

You could have just sent it to the manufacturer. Argos are the best around for customer service in my experience and have replaced controllers without hesitation on two occasions for me. It's unreasonable to expect them to give you a more expensive product in exchange without you paying the difference, I seriously doubt anyone would do that.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    You could have just sent it to the manufacturer. Argos are the best around for customer service in my experience and have replaced controllers without hesitation on two occasions for me. It's unreasonable to expect them to give you a more expensive product in exchange without you paying the difference, I seriously doubt anyone would do that.

Its more expensive because that's how they priced it, not because the normal controller is any better than what I had. In fact, the controllers are for all intensive purposes exactly the same as we've established.

Say I go up to the Toyota garage tomorrow and buy a brand new silver Avensis. The car develops a fault, and I'm offered a replacement, a pink Avensis, and the salesman says I have to pay the difference because its more expensive because pink is a very popular colour.

Maybe I'm thick, but I still don't see why is should have to pay the difference.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,293 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Its more expensive because that's how they priced it, not because the normal controller is any better than what I had. In fact, the controllers are for all intensive purposes exactly the same as we've established.

Say I go up to the Toyota garage tomorrow and buy a brand new silver Avensis. The car develops a fault, and I'm offered a replacement, a pink Avensis, and the salesman says I have to pay the difference because its more expensive because pink is a very popular colour.

Maybe I'm thick, but I still don't see why is should have to pay the difference.

You'd have to pay the difference because that's the price it retails at, it's really that simple.

You'd have to pay the difference because that's the price it retails at, it's really that simple.

Ok, out of interest, say we have the same scenario and the replacement normal controller is actually cheaper than the Covert one. Would I have been refunded the difference between the two?

If the garage can't source/don't stock the silver anymore and pink is more expensive than the silver then yes you would have to pay the difference, the garage won't cover the extra cost.

Ok, out of interest, say we have the same scenario and the replacement normal controller is actually cheaper than the Covert one. Would I have been refunded the difference between the two?

I'd expect them to give the difference in store credit.

I'd expect them to give the difference in store credit.

They wouldn't have though, would they. I would have got the same spiel about them being different controllers.

I appreciate all the replies guys. I'll let ye know what customer service says.

More than likely you would.

I bought a coffee machine in Argos before for €99. Brought it home and it wouldn't work. My girlfriend brought it back and exchanged it for one she thought looked better. It was €75. She got a Voucher for €24.

They wouldn't have though, would they. I would have got the same spiel about them being different controllers.

I'd expect the fact they're different products with different prices would make it more likely you would be compensated with store credit than not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

It's a tough old world my friend, I once bought a horse so I could compete in gymkhana, but unfortunately he threw a shoe and couldn't compete. I took it back for an exchange but all they had were zebras at 5 times the price. I know they're fundamentally the same but I just took my refund.

You live and learn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Absolutely they would. Why wouldn't they? Not giving it to you in either a partial refund or store credit would be against consumer law, and i'm sure Argos are not in the habit of breaking the law (knowingly).

In this case you purchased a distinct item for x amount. Consumer law states that:

Replacement

If it is impossible to repair the item, or if it is more convenient than repairing it, then the seller may replace it for you. For example, if you bought a laptop and it overheated, causing significant damage to itself, it may be very difficult or even impossible for the seller to have the laptop fixed for you, so they may offer to replace it instead. If you opt for a replacement, it should be the same as the item you bought, or of similar quality and price. You should not have to pay extra for a replacement and should be given the difference in price if the replacement costs less than the item you originally bought.

- See more at: http://www.consumerhelp.ie/faulty-goods#sthash.1B1wZc2L.dpuf

The part in bold is important here- for all intents and purposes you received an item that was FUNDAMENTALLY the same as the item returned. so in theory it should have been a direct replacement. However, it is a different model with a different model number, and has a completely different SNK, rendering the above moot. As such, an indirect replacement is offered, with an item of similar quality, with a higher retail price. It could potentially have been discounted, but this is completely at the discretion of the retailer, and may not be part of the mandate. You could try return it for a full refund, or try to speak to a manager and get a partial refund. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Case in point- If you buy a Powercolor Graphics Card from any retailer for €150, and it is faulty and has to be returned with repair not being an option, and they can only offer you a Radeon version of the same, you will end up paying the difference or taking a refund.

A lot of Argos shareholders on this thread tonight.:)

Again, thanks for the discussion all.

It's a tough old world my friend, I once bought a horse so I could compete in gymkhana, but unfortunately he threw a shoe and couldn't compete. I took it back for an exchange but all they had were zebras at 5 times the price. I know they're fundamentally the same but I just took my refund.

You live and learn.

Serves you right for buying such a high horse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭simdan

A lot of Argos shareholders on this thread tonight.

Again, thanks for the discussion all.

Serves you right for buying such a high horse.

Lol

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

There's a Consumer Issues forum that may be more appropriate for this conversation, you may get more advice on your issue there, Spudman.

You can find the forum here.

From my point of view, it seems like Argos are on solid ground here, as they see the two controllers as different products and always have. Morally, I can see where you're coming from, and the only way to get a result here would be to kick up enough fuss that they'd find it easier just to cave in to you. You already seem to be on top of that, what with contacting Customer Support.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭WolfSpinach

Apologies if it's poor form necroing this thread, but I don't think it warrants a new thread. I also have the left stick drift issue. Is there any chance of getting a controller that's not replaceable fixed? I bought mine outside the country ages ago and I've seen some Youtube vids on resoldering the part but I have neither the soldering iron or the experience of using one.

Advertisement