Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballyhoura tech loops

Options
  • 28-01-2016 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

The technical loops in ballyhoura, do they loop back to the route your on or back to the trail head. I have done the 1St 2 close to the start but there are some further on the trail as well
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Tech 1 & 2 are basically extensions of the white trail.
    If you're wondering fitness wise, you'd want to be able to complete the brown loop in full comfortably before having a bash at the white + the two tech loops.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭casion3

Tech 1 & 2 are basically extensions of the white trail.
    If you're wondering fitness wise, you'd want to be able to complete the brown loop in full comfortably before having a bash at the white + the two tech loops.

Thought there was a tech loop off the mid of brown loop
    Done the white loop before so not 2 worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

casion3 wrote: »
    Thought there was a tech loop off the mid of brown loop
    Done the white loop before so not 2 worried.
    Yup but that then links to the white.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Ger.O.Mahony

If you take a right at the bottom of tech 2 and follow the fire road you can loop back up to the brown at the next post on the right. Taking in the two tech loops extends the brown to about 24km

If you change the map settings to Satellite Map and zoom in you will see Tech 1 & 2 and where I looped back up to the brown:

https://www.strava.com/activities/476034191

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

The 2 of them are good craic, they used have drop offs in them but now they took them out and you can roll all of it.

To get back to the brown turn right after tech 2, or to get to the white turn left. You can get to the brown turning left as well. If you're able for the white you may as well put the two tech loops onto that spin, it doesn't add much distance onto the overall loop, and any it does add is mostly downhill

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

The 2 of them are good craic, they used have drop offs in them but now they took them out and you can roll all of it.

To get back to the brown turn right after tech 2, or to get to the white turn left. You can get to the brown turning left as well. If you're able for the white you may as well put the two tech loops onto that spin, it doesn't add much distance onto the overall loop, and any it does add is mostly downhill

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭casion3

JBokeh wrote: »

Thanks lads will have a cut off it. Far from tech 2 to brown loop post?

Once you exit Tech 1 and left onto fire road, you head down to the next way marker post on left to bring you back up to Tech 2, sorry can't remember post number. This is the same post you return to if you take a right at the bottom of Tech 2. It's approx 1.5km from Tech 2 exit back to here.

You can take the normal marked trail back up or this crosses a forestry track a little ways up and if you follow this track straight up it will bring you up to the fire road about 200m below the big log so swing a left here. It's about 800m of a nice climb :-). Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

How difficult/dangerous are these tech loops ? the signs at the start saying they are only for experienced riders always put me off so Ive never taken them , I'm only out on the mtb about 10 times a year I'm able to handle of the other stuff in ballyhoura at a decent clip but i'm definitely a novice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭El Vino

These days I only get out on the mtb 2 or 3 times a year and I found them ok, first time around take it handy so you see how technical they are, you can then decide how much speed you are comfortable with.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

Sorry for going OT but are the two longer routes reopened in Ballyhoura - the last time I was down they were closed for windfarm construction and hard to find out from the website

Advertisement