Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unlocking a PDF (OSX)

Options
  • 28-01-2016 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭

I have a PDF that I need to unlock. I have the read password, but everything else is locked down with an owner password (it's house insurance). I've tried asking the company but they only say it's your birth date (that's the read password) and can't help otherwise.

Is there an app, preferably free or low cost that'll open it so I can print the damn thing?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

You could try printing the document to a PDF and see if that works ?

Open the document in Preview (Mac OS X app) then click File > Print ... and at the bottom left of the window select the PDF drop down menu and Save As PDF ...

This 'should' allow you free access to the document.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭OU812

It's locked for everything except opening under some password & opening is DOB

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

So you can't even print it out then ? Are you viewing it in Adobe Reader ?

Ken

Yeah have tried it in several PDF openers. Unfortunately it's locked down tight. I guess I'm gonna buy one of the apps that strips passwords...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

As a stop gap you could try using PrtScn (whatever the Mac version is) to get a screen grab of each page, then print off the resulting image(s).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

OU812 wrote: »
    It's locked for everything except opening under some password & opening is DOB

did you try all combinations, ddmmyy/mmddyy and ddmmyyyy/mmddyyyy.

did you try all combinations, ddmmyy/mmddyy and ddmmyyyy/mmddyyyy.

Yup. It's AA Insurance & they say it's the DOB but damned if I can get it to work.

Ended up getting an app to do it.

Advertisement