Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheep dipping Unit

• 28-01-2016 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Has anyone made their own sheep dipping unit or know where you can get one without costing a fortune

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Built or mobile?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭gaz123

Built

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

gaz123 wrote: »
    Built

I did one ten years ago, used a JFC tank, but it was €450 at the time, I'd imagine that concrete ones are better and cheaper, but the concrete suppliers had no interest in supplying them during the building boom......I wouoldn't do t with a JFC tank the nxt time though

I see the concrete ones are €450 as well. Id prefer one to make one like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ5d0KAc5LQ

I see the concrete ones are €450 as well. Id prefer one to make one like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ5d0KAc5LQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Built our one using blocks and cement.. haven't a clue how much it cost though

Can I see a picture of your sheeprun DavidK

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭serfspup

cast my own tank about 5X5 can dip 3-400 sheep per fill. one man operation.
    still making adaptations but on the whole would do the same again

Sounds good. Any pictures of it ?

In the first picture. The pen is built in a semi circle so as the sheep are dipped they can be tightened in. The dippinformation tank is under the weighing scales. The covers are lifted off using the 3cx and emptied out with the back actor. When the sheep are dipped they climb up steps to get out. The draining pens are behind the tank where the sheep are standing. The sheep stand in the pen for a half hour. The dip flows down the pen into a drain and directed into the tank

In the third picture. The gate divides the sheep into the different pens. The drain leafs into a man hole where the dip flows into the tank. When not in use the run off from the yard is directed into a soak pit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

davidk1394 wrote: »
    In the first picture. The pen is built in a semi circle so as the sheep are dipped they can be tightened in. The dippinformation tank is under the weighing scales. The covers are lifted off using the 3cx and emptied out with the back actor. When the sheep are dipped they climb up steps to get out. The draining pens are behind the tank where the sheep are standing. The sheep stand in the pen for a half hour. The dip flows down the pen into a drain and directed into the tank

In the third picture. The gate divides the sheep into the different pens. The drain leafs into a man hole where the dip flows into the tank. When not in use the run off from the yard is directed into a soak pit

No pics... :(

Picture 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Picture 1

Still no pics

pics could be too big?

sorry about that :confused: ... here ye go :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Jack180570

Has anyone made their own sheep dipping unit or know where you can get one without costing a fortune

Put in a precast one a few years ago, think it was around 450... think better than plastic or building as less work and safer... the one in your video is WAY too big.. will take too much dip to make up the dip and just not necessary, I think...
    You will need an area above the tank for the sheep to drip and return the dip to the tank... this is for environmental and cost reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭kk.man

Jack180570 wrote: »
    Put in a precast one a few years ago, think it was around 450... think better than plastic or building as less work and safer... the one in your video is WAY too big.. will take too much dip to make up the dip and just not necessary, I think...
    You will need an area above the tank for the sheep to drip and return the dip to the tank... this is for environmental and cost reasons.
    Like your dip.. Plenty food for thought

This is a video of us dipping sheep in the tank we installed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0Yz1LiTI4I&feature=youtu.be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

This is a video of us dipping sheep in the tank we installed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0Yz1LiTI4I&feature=youtu.be

Do you only put in one at a time?

That a custom tool for dunking them?

• Advertisement

razor8 wrote: »
    Do you only put in one at a time?

No Razor... that was just for the video... when dipping we keep two in the tank all the time and as one is getting ready to climb out, the 'third' one is being backed into it... we would do about 35 in a batch, let them drip and then strengthen up the dip again before the next batch...
    Works fairly good insofar as you need to have them in the dip for about a minute to dip them properly so I dont think a bigger tank would be any great benefit...

ganmo wrote: »
    That a custom tool for dunking them?
    ... no ganmo... it was a 4 prong pike and adjusted with the grinder and welder... watching the vid I was thinking that you would want to be careful with it not to pick the eye out of a sheep... havnt so far but wondering myself if there is a better tool for the job...

The only tool I ever saw used for dipping had a head like ~

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Cran

That's a great job never seen one in a shed before, how do you cover it when not in use?

Cran wrote: »
    That's a great job never seen one in a shed before, how do you cover it when not in use?

Thanks Cran... we set tank 3 inches below ground surface and we cut some 6 x 3's just over the width of the tank and when not in use we cover with those.
    It works pretty well, just that it can be a bit slippery over that area when we have sheep in the crush. I think we might 'groove the boards when we get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cloonman

What size tank would be best? I was looking at precast ones that are 180 gallons and one that are 340 gallons, something in between would probably be best, what size is your tank David?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

sorry about that :confused: ... here ye go :D

You made a really good job of that dip sir

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Iodine1

cloonman wrote: »
    What size tank would be best? I was looking at precast ones that are 180 gallons and one that are 340 gallons, something in between would probably be best, what size is your tank David?

Your choice really depends on your approximate flock size:
    180 gallons allows you to dip 400 sheep, then you have to empty and refill with fresh solution. The 340 gallon tank will allow you to do 765 animals. You cannot keep dip overnight and the smaller tank is cheaper to fill but slower to do numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Iodine1

Also most popular tanks are 200-220 gallons, but I don't know if they can be got precast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Iodine1 wrote: »
    Also most popular tanks are 200-220 gallons, but I don't know if they can be got precast.

It was easy get them precast when construction went bust, don't know about now though since precast guys are busy again.
    JFC make them too but even if you fill them with water to back fill them the sides are inclined to come in, probably need timber props as well by right

Advertisement