Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starter kit for giving up smoking.

• 28-01-2016 9:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this isn't allowed (normally Id use the search function but it's a bit faffy in mobile and I want up to date advice) but my partner is ready to give up smoking again and wants suggestions on where to buy a kit for vaping. He gave up successfully for over two years on a kit he bought at a stand that no longer trades and it was great quality. He felt like he was going to start smoking again and started vaping with a new one he bought which constantly had to be replaced and he ended up smoking again.

Hes looking a good quality unit with reasonable battery life that is built to last. Aesthetics are not an issue, no need for fancy add-ons like digital displays. Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,972 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Was it a kix stand he went to before? The brand of the e-cig is nicofresh I think. You can buy from them online, just Google nicofresh and it will come up near the top. From reading posts on here people use all sorts of fancy attachments but the basic e-cig always worked fine for me. Maybe order an extra charger just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jonski

The setup that most on here have been recommending for the last 9 months or so has been an iStick and nautilus mini and it is still pretty much the best kit out there for beginners .

There is a new kit out called Innokin Endura T18 Starter Kit that a lot of reviewers are giving the tumbs up to but I have no experience of it and am not sure if any Irish vendors stock it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

IMHO, I'd go with a Kanger NeBox + Battery, they are built like tanks, and are pretty much foolproof.

I know most would say this is an intermediate kit, but he can buy more "starter kits" and keep replacing them and get pissed off, or get a one-time-bigtime decent kit (thats easy to use) and easy to get spares for as kanger replacement coils are available in every vape shop

Not "that" cheap, but they chuck the vapor out and have amazing battery life, easy to find replacement heads (or built your own), reasonably small (not tiny though) and can be charged with USB.

Those other starter kits 2+ years ago seemed great, but times have changed alot. I bet your other half would be happy as a pig in mud with a decent vaporizer.

Outlay is going to be around 70 euro including 2 decent batteries, which is what, a weeks worth smoking ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

If the Nebox starts leaking on them they will be back on the fags with frustration. I couldn't recommend it for a beginner. Too many modes and for direct lung really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

was.deevey wrote: »
    IMHO, I'd go with a Kanger NeBox + Battery, they are built like tanks, and are pretty much foolproof.

I know most would say this is an intermediate kit, but he can buy more "starter kits" and keep replacing them and get pissed off, or get a one-time-bigtime decent kit (thats easy to use) and easy to get spares for as kanger replacement coils are available in every vape shop

Not "that" cheap, but they chuck the vapor out and have amazing battery life, easy to find replacement heads (or built your own), reasonably small (not tiny though) and can be charged with USB.

Those other starter kits 2+ years ago seemed great, but times have changed alot. I bet your other half would be happy as a pig in mud with a decent vaporizer.

Outlay is going to be around 70 euro including 2 decent batteries, which is what, a weeks worth smoking ?

He rolls his own so €70 would be closer to 5 weeks of smoking, but that wouldnt be out of budget if it did the job. You're right though, the new starter kits are useless and he ran into that many problems that he was often left with nothing to smoke!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 473 ✭✭nuttyboy79

The Nebox isn't a starter kit it's more intermediate/advanced. The iStick 30 or 40w with either a GS air or Aspire Nautilus is a great set up to go to from the ego "pen" kits good flavour and decent clouds. Get your partner to go into a vape shop (not a stand/kiosk) and they'll point him in the right direction.

nuttyboy79 wrote: »
    The Nebox isn't a starter kit it's more intermediate/advanced. The iStick 30 or 40w with either a GS air or Aspire Nautilus is a great set up to go to from the ego "pen" kits good flavour and decent clouds. Get your partner to go into a vape shop (not a stand/kiosk) and they'll point him in the right direction.

Unforunately his most recent dealings were with the closest vape shop and the owner was less than knowledgeable. It was off them that he got the recent units, all broke within weeks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

If you want to say what general location you are, people could recommend good shops where they know what they are doing.

But as has been mentioned, istick and either a nautilus mini or GS air have been the most recommended kits on here for nearly a year.

Those pen style e cigs are rubbish and end up costing more in the long run than what we are recommending.

If you want to order online we can recommend some good Irish vendors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

The Nebox isn't a starter kit it's more intermediate/advanced. The iStick 30 or 40w with either a GS air or Aspire Nautilus is a great set up to go to from the ego "pen" kits good flavour and decent clouds.

The new 40w isticks have the same temp control options that the NeBox has ;)

The old Subox mini is more foolproof and replaceable battery.

Def wouldn't call the NeBox advanced, but yes, more intermediate. However the non-stickky-outie-tank form factor and ease of parts is a big plus.
    Get your partner to go into a vape shop (not a stand/kiosk) and they'll point him in the right direction.

Amen, definitely the best option.

Just make sure they are selling him something thats a decent brand name thats easy to get spares for (google before you buy!)

A friend of mine recently bought "a vaporizer just like mine" for $50, A week later he burned out the coil and needed to spend another $25 on a new tank that he could actually get spares for.

I wont go into the 3 step voltage adjustment and built in battery :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 473 ✭✭nuttyboy79

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Unforunately his most recent dealings were with the closest vape shop and the owner was less than knowledgeable. It was off them that he got the recent units, all broke within weeks!

Any of the decent vape shops will talk you through it all over the phone. But if it was me I'd be getting a refund from the first place then getting an iStick like I posted earlier. I'd go with the 40w one because it has a little bit more ooomph for further on down the road if he wants to upgrade his tank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jonski

I'd have to agree with Nuttyboy here, I wouldn't recommend a Nebox to a beginner . There is also a lot of talk about them leaking on the net and that would be really frustrating for someone trying to quit if it happened to them .

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ben36

Istick and mini nautilus is what i'd recommend for beginners,im using this setup 18 months now and haven't looked back,not into replaceable batteries and blowing big clouds,just keeping off the smokes is all i want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭chipfox

+1 for the Subox Mini. Have mine about 3 months now and still going strong. In the end they're all the same though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭JH_raheny

I am clearing out some of my vape gear so if not to worried about aesthetic's I could give you the one that got me off the smokes 2 years ago, it's a Tesla VW and looks somewhere between a light sabre and a steel dildo, I have 2 nautilus tanks to go with it

JH_raheny wrote: »
    I am clearing out some of my vape gear so if not to worried about aesthetic's I could give you the one that got me off the smokes 2 years ago, it's a Tesla VW and looks somewhere between a light sabre and a steel dildo, I have 2 nautilus tanks to go with it

This made me laugh, super hard :pac:
    PM me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭j26m

I'm a beginner and I bought a Joyetech eGrip a couple of weeks ago.
    It works great, is easy to use, has decent battery life and is fairly rugged, which suits my uses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

j26m wrote: »
    It works great, is easy to use, has decent battery life and is fairly rugged, which suits my uses.

Yeah it's great to have an all in one mod,I never got on with the first stock coils they supplied,I think Joyetech improved the coils since,which I have never tried yet.
    I use the re-buildable coil all the time,it is a 100% better than the first coils,what is the name of the coil that you are using,is it a CS or is that the old coil.

Yeah it's great to have an all in one mod,I never got on with the first stock coils they supplied,I think Joyetech improved the coils since,which I have never tried yet.
    I use the re-buildable coil all the time,it is a 100% better than the first coils,what is the name of the coil that you are using,is it a CS or is that the old coil.

It's the CS. They only seem to last a week though with the liquid I have (50% VG). I'm thinking about the rebuildable one - is it worth it?

Can't speak for that device's rebuildable section but since I've started coil building you can't really go back. A big bag of cotton and 25m of kanthal can cost the same as just a few disposable coils.

It's a learning process but well worth it. You learn to make good coils from making bad ones, and believe me I have made some garbage ones

Can't speak for that device's rebuildable section but since I've started coil building you can't really go back. A big bag of cotton and 25m of kanthal can cost the same as just a few disposable coils.

It's a learning process but well worth it. You learn to make good coils from making bad ones, and believe me I have made some garbage ones

• Advertisement

It's the CS. They only seem to last a week though with the liquid I have (50% VG). I'm thinking about the rebuildable one - is it worth it?

You should have a re-buildable coil included in your Egrip Kit or am I thinking of some other kit.
    They sell them here http://www.thebestshop.eu/shop/vv-mods/547-joyetech-egrip-rba-base.html it should be already coiled & wicked & you get 2 spare coils & cotton,I've been using the same coil for 6 months now,I change the cotton every couple of months but it all depends on how you vape,if you vape it all day,you will need to change the cotton every week,you'll know yourself when to change it,the vapor & taste gets muted eventually.
    Here is a handy adapter for the re-buildable coil,it can check the ohms of your coil & the best thing with it,you can dry burn the coil so it will last ages,they are out of stock at the moment but maybe somewhere else http://www.cigatec-ireland.com/rebuildable-atomizers-/190-egrip-adaptor.html?search_query=egrip&results=4 I couldn't wait for the Irish vendors to get them,I bought mine in Germany.
    There's another vapor on this Boards.ie that swears by the egrip & re-buildables,I can't remember who but he might chime in here with more advice if he reads this.
    Hope this helps a bit...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

The RBA deck doesn't come with the device, at least didn't with mine.

Absolutely worth it though. I've 3 eGrips myself and have the RBA for all 3. It really does transform the device and it's my go to device which I use 90% of the day. I have an eVic Mini for sub-ohming, but my eGrips get far more use. As mentioned by ydp, you really do need to get the 510 adapter, else you won't be able to check ohm's and dry burn it effectively (on another device).

I've been getting literally months out of the coils too. Just take out the old cotton, dry burn, run under a tap, a few times, new cotton and boom, back in business. The RBA can leak a little especially if the tank is nearly empty but if you're careful with replacing the wick it shouldn't cause you too much bother.

TinCool wrote: »
    The RBA deck doesn't come with the device, at least didn't with mine.

Absolutely worth it though. I've 3 eGrips myself and have the RBA for all 3. It really does transform the device and it's my go to device which I use 90% of the day. I have an eVic Mini for sub-ohming, but my eGrips get far more use. As mentioned by ydp, you really do need to get the 510 adapter, else you won't be able to check ohm's and dry burn it effectively (on another device).

I've been getting literally months out of the coils too. Just take out the old cotton, dry burn, run under a tap, a few times, new cotton and boom, back in business. The RBA can leak a little especially if the tank is nearly empty but if you're careful with replacing the wick it shouldn't cause you too much bother.

Is the leaking a major issue? I don't fancy being soaked in nicotiene....

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭thevaper

Great little bit of gear for a starter, good flavour and a nice bit of cloudage on the stock coils. Even better with the aspire bvc coils which are easily adapted to fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Is the leaking a major issue? I don't fancy being soaked in nicotiene....

Not really. Just weeps a little from the air hole in the RBA. You wouldn't end up with a pocket full of juice unlike say a subtank if that leaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

TinCool wrote: »
    Not really. Just weeps a little from the air hole in the RBA. You wouldn't end up with a pocket full of juice unlike say a subtank if that leaks.

I saw a guy on YouTube file down the ring of his rba base, it made the holes line up better. I find the metal bits inside stop you lining the cotton up perfectly.

EGriff wrote: »
    I saw a guy on YouTube file down the ring of his rba base, it made the holes line up better. I find the metal bits inside stop you lining the cotton up perfectly.

Yeah, I've seen that too. To be honest, it doesn't bother me all that much. It's only very slight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Excellent starter kit:

https://www.fasttech.com/p/3932302

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 comeon

Hi, what kind of istick do people recommend. On this websiete there are three
    http://www.thebestshop.eu/shop/27-vv-mods

Eleaf iStick TC60W
    Eleaf iStick 100W Express Kit
    Eleaf iStick TC40W Express Kit

i have natiulus mini, want to replace my ego any advice?

40w definitely to go with a nautilius mini, the others are total overkill, you prob won't turn it up past 16 watts.

May as well get a full size nautilus while you're at it, holds more juice and matches the size of the iStick much more neatly.

I broke out the eGrip this evening after not using it for a few months. I still have some prebuilt and wicked coils for the RBA that I got from vaperus a long time ago. Forgot how nice it sits in the hand, it really is tiny, fantastic vape from the RBA too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭jno547

Patww79 wrote: »

The 30W istick is still available and is probably the best of the isticks with built in battery and at this stage I'd say it's well proven itself to be a capable little mod.

jno547 wrote: »
    The 30W istick is still available and is probably the best of the isticks with built in battery and at this stage I'd say it's well proven itself to be a capable little mod.

Yeah my 30w is still going strong after 9 or 10 months. So is my 40w though after about 6 months. But I have a fair few mods so neither is getting massive use.

• Advertisement

EGriff wrote: »
    Yeah my 30w is still going strong after 9 or 10 months. So is my 40w though after about 6 months. But I have a fair few mods so neither is getting massive use.

Likewise here,quite a few mods & not over used,I'm still using 3 Umax's,similar to the Vmax,up to 6v which I bought 4 years ago & they are used everyday as my bed vapes :D:D

We have been calling all battery devices "Mods" from the beginning of Vaping (2009) because the battery devices were poorly made & we had to modify most of them ourselves,the name Mod just stuck with us & we called all battery devices Mods & we still do,never heard of a tank being called a mod,all tanks have their own names now.

Me personally,I wouldn't touch a GS Air,never worked properly for me,Nautilus(5ml) or Nautilus Mini(2ml) with BVC coils 1.6 or 1.8,fantastic tanks & coils & the same coil fits with either.

• Advertisement

+1 for the nautilius, get the big one not the mini, it will fit better on the 30w, plus less filling. Also BVC coils are the ones you want.

You can adjust it to 4 or 5 different sized holes,I use the biggest hole all the time,great for mouth to lung.
    Don't forget to prime the new coil first & try not to tighten the base & coil too tightly to the tank,otherwise it will be hard to unscrew on your next fill,if you did,you will need to use rubber gloves or pliers to loosen it,I use pliers all the time now,that is the only downside to the Nautilus,unscrewing,but it just becomes part of the routine.

Regarding the BVC coils,dual coil means there is one coil with two wires inside the coil,which are parallel, on other coils,there can be 2 separate coils inside one coil,like one on top of the other but both coils are inside one coil.
    You may come across dual coil RDA's which are also called drippers,the dual coils in these are separately fixed to a positive & a negative post & cotton is pushed through the coils,which is your wicking.
    Priming is pre-soaking the cotton inside the coil,3 or 4 drops of eliquid into the centre hole towards the side & one drop on each of the wicking holes on the outside of the coil,once done,screw the coil tightly into the base & fill up the tank & screw base/coil onto tank.
    Nautilus's usually work great between 10w & 12w,depending what type of juice you are using,start off low on the watts,about 9w & work your way up until you find your sweet spot.
    GS & Nautilus coils are a similar setup,most tanks have the same sort of setup,hope this helps...

That's terrific Pat,those istick 30w do have a funny lip on it,is it the big Nautilus you ordered...

• Advertisement
Advertisement