Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 advice? Am I eligible?

Options
  • 28-01-2016 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

So the story goes that I just finished off a 4 year bachelor's, the third year of which was studied in the states. I'm going on 24 but I've never done a summer J1 before so I'm interested now. Currently doing a one year post-grad diploma, will that be good enough to qualify to take part in the programme?

Also, since I've been on a few holidays to the states growing up, and spent a year studying there etc., it's looking for all my past visa information. I've no clue where to go about finding all the documents.

Can anyone in the know help me out here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

Pretty sure you're more than eligible man. You need a sponsor while doing a J1 . USIT are by far the most popular sponsor, check out their website, they've all the info there. If you're based in Dublin then it's no harm dropping into their office in town for some guidance.
    I only had good experiences with them when I did my J1 two years ago.
    If you don't qualify for the J1, you'll most certainly qualify for the graduate visa, but I'd go on USIT's word not mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

I am 24. I'm enrolled in a post-graduate higher diploma, but since it's only a year long I can't apply for the J1 summer work in America visa. I called USIT looking for advice and they pointed me towards this 1 year USA graduate visa, since I graduated from my bachelor's less than 12 months ago I'm eligible.

I'm totally lost on this though. I want to do a summer thing, like go over sometime mid June and come back late August as I'm hoping to start a Masters in my field in September. Is that possible? I've read accounts of others who've done it and they're all saying things like "I hopped over in January and it was fantastic, blah blah etc", so I'm worried now that a summer option mightn't be an option for me. Is that an option for me with this visa?

Any and all help appreciated, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

Yeah I'm sure that's possible, but I imagine you won't be getting much value out of it whatsoever, considering you'll be paying for a 12 month visa. But I'm sure you can do it if you really want to. People leave early for all sorts of reasons.
    Just call USIT again, if you haven't done so already, they're always happy to help.

Advertisement