Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double beads on Shotguns!?!??

Options
  • 28-01-2016 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

Been shooting a gun with these for years, I still don't get it.Seriously what's the idea of them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Seems there are two types, which I noticed when looking at a selection of shotguns online.

One type is the double bead at the tip of the barrel, where there is a small gap between the beads. My guess would be that some people prefer it. The gap is what you're aiming with, so you can see the target through the gap, rather than cover it with the bead.

The other type is the bead at the tip of the barrel and another bead in the middle of the barrel. My guess here would be to help with proper alignment, keeping the gun level would be easier when lining up the beads. It would reduce the sight margin of error I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

The double bead with one at the muzzle and one halfway down the rib, allows for proper 'sighting' , in the correct gun mount the shooter should see a figure eight '8' with the frount bead sitting on the rear one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

goz83 wrote: »
    Seems there are two types, which I noticed when looking at a selection of shotguns online.

One type is the double bead at the tip of the barrel, where there is a small gap between the beads. My guess would be that some people prefer it. The gap is what you're aiming with, so you can see the target through the gap, rather than cover it with the bead.

The other type is the bead at the tip of the barrel and another bead in the middle of the barrel. My guess here would be to help with proper alignment, keeping the gun level would be easier when lining up the beads. It would reduce the sight margin of error I suspect.
    normally found on Trap or sporter shotguns rather than game guns

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Had a tiny bead half way down my mossberg pump action. Never used it to aim but I used it to see if I was shouldering the gun straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Never heard of it and looked it up there . Looks ridiculous . My Baikal lost its bead years ago but I've shot with it same as always . Never used a bead anyway. If your used to your gun you know where to aim without the bead. And should know where to aim on all sorts of quarry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭scoobydoo07

It's of use in disciplines where the gun is pre-mounted prior to the shot(s) been taken like DTL,ABT etc to ensure as lads have said above to have correct gun alignment. You would rarely have double beads on a game gun as it would not be needed

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭useurowname

Its a pointless gimic as far as I'm concerned, they were a fad on sporters in the early noughtys, I don't see them fitted to new guns.

Advertisement