Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling to music shops

Options
  • 28-01-2016 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, looking for advice here as its my first attempt to try selling anything to retail.

I will be providing and trying to sell a handmade ukulele accessory, it is niche but I believe there is a market, and it seems the best market to sell to is musical instrument shops. They should retail at around 10-15 euro

I've never approached any retailer about selling a product and was looking for advice on how to go about this. Is it a case of just walking in off the street and showing my wares? Do I try get a name and contact number? Or do shops (music shops) just have a central source that they order from.

I do plan on setting up something online, I don't believe I need an entire website dedicated to it, but perhaps sell on the likes of etsy (like a craft/handmade gifts version of eBay)

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks for reading

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭JMR

Absolutely, you should walk in off the street and talk to the owner if possible.
    You will get invaluable and immediate feedback (good or bad) on your idea.

Prior to walking in, you should have a clear idea on pricing.
    What is the TOTAL cost to you to make or buy the product?
    What margin would you require on your selling price to the retailer?
    What RRP would provide him with his required margin?

I know nothing about the music shop business so don't know if chains exist but I would target independent stores, run by the owner who will be in a position to make a decision to take a chance on you and your product.

Do not give up if you get rejected the first couple of times, use each rejection as a means to hone your product demonstration and sales pitch.

As for online, great idea to test the market with ebay before investing anything in a website. You need to prove that a market exists for your product, ebay can allow you to do this.

Best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

As JMR says just jump in there with the indes but be sure to know your numbers and your supply dates. It's very frustrating for a shop owner when someone comes in with something new they like and have no idea of price or how long it will take for them to be able to get it!

If it's anything like our shop they are probably getting inundated with emails it's still a good idea to email ahead and see if you get a replay buy don't worry if you don't. I would imagine the margins are pretty big in something so niche so I would think something retailing at €15 is going to need a wholesale price at around €6-€8 is that realistic for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Guys thank you very much for your informative and positive replies. I have only managed today to get back on to boards.

I agree with the idea you have of approaching smaller music shops, these guys do have a bit more time for customers. However on Saturday I was in town and decided to pluck up the courage to just approach the sales staff and ask how I go about getting my product into retail. I got a name of the general manager and will be contacting him today.

Hopefully something will come from it, I will keep you updated.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Good to hear you went out and did it. The only way they are going to stock your product is if you go and ask! I'm about to start down that route so know how tough it can be to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Strings.ie

Hi, this is kinda our area as we sell Ukulele Accessories. I'd certainly love to hear more about your product and I can tell you what interest there might be and put you in touch with some Ukulele communities. PM me if you want.

In terms of approaching shops, as the others have said; just contact the owner/manager. Without knowing what you have I don't know what the interest would be. You could provide some samples or do a sale or return to get the ball rolling. If there is demand then you could approach a distributor later on to take things up a level. Most small businesses have limited cashflow and in this industry there is no shortage of brands and products we all would love to stock but it's just not possible. Hence if you can make it an offer they can't refuse that would help you.

• Advertisement

Strings.ie wrote: »
    Hi, this is kinda our area as we sell Ukulele Accessories. I'd certainly love to hear more about your product and I can tell you what interest there might be and put you in touch with some Ukulele communities. PM me if you want.

In terms of approaching shops, as the others have said; just contact the owner/manager. Without knowing what you have I don't know what the interest would be. You could provide some samples or do a sale or return to get the ball rolling. If there is demand then you could approach a distributor later on to take things up a level. Most small businesses have limited cashflow and in this industry there is no shortage of brands and products we all would love to stock but it's just not possible. Hence if you can make it an offer they can't refuse that would help you.

Thanks for the offer strings.ie, I will be doing some photos over the weekend and I will be on you to send on

Strings.ie wrote: »

PM sent strings

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭padjo5

The Sound Shop in Drogheda stock and sell a decent level of Ukuleles. Very approachable folk too. PM if need a name.

Advertisement