Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election 2016 - Dublin Mid-West

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,884 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Wow this has gone off topic.....

Anyway, just listed to newstalk podcast and Ivan Yates predicts

1) O'Brion
    2) Fitzgerald
    3) Kenny
    4) Keating

His logic on Keating was that 1-3 are all clondalkin and DK will get a lot of the Lucan votes and transfers when other Lucan Candidate ( Curran, Tuffy, Gogarty ) are eliminated.

Does anyone at all have a good word to say about Keating? I see him being the first 'major party' candidate eliminated.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Wow this has gone off topic.....

Anyway, just listed to newstalk podcast and Ivan Yates predicts

1) O'Brion
    2) Fitzgerald
    3) Kenny
    4) Keating

His logic on Keating was that 1-3 are all clondalkin and DK will get a lot of the Lucan votes and transfers when other Lucan Candidate ( Curran, Tuffy, Gogarty ) are eliminated.

Just going back to this. I have quite a bit of time for Yates but his logic is all over the place on this one and he doesn't know the constituency.
    1 & 3 are Clondalkin alright but Fitzgerald polls strongly across the whole constituency.
    Also, Curran is Clondalkin-based.
    The Lucan vote will be between Tuffy, Gogarty and Keating (after you consider Fitzgerald)
    Keating also polls quite well in Palmerston.
    It remains to be seen how the likes of McNally might affect the Lucan vote.
    What might ultimately drag Keating across the line is how many of Fitzgerald's transfers actually go to him!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Heroditas wrote: »
    Just going back to this. I have quite a bit of time for Yates but his logic is all over the place on this one and he doesn't know the constituency.
    I think that's basically it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

It's all about transfers for Keating - if people decide they want to keep the current government, you have no choice but to vote for him. It's not all about local issues or whoever gets the pothole filled.

I think Gogarty might spring a surprise - if you wanted a left leaning candidate, but the stench from SF and the complete loopers on the far left put you off, he's a safe choice for the middle class mammy.

hmmm wrote: »
    I think Gogarty might spring a surprise - if you wanted a left leaning candidate, but the stench from SF and the complete loopers on the far left put you off, he's a safe choice for the middle class mammy.

I'd go for McNally in that case but the Social Democrats just don't have a high enough profile in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭brick tamland

hmmm wrote: »

Don't think so. He only got circa 1500 votes last time. Nowhere near even been close. I don't think he's repaired his reputation enough yet. Maybe I'm wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Derek Keating will have hard battle to get back in.
    One he signed up to FG he lost a lot of support - he was good as a councilor, not good as a TD.
    He made a mess of promoting himself onto to be caught trying to nab all the Lucan Gazettes in the area.

For those of you who are blow-ins - Lucan has been campaigning for a swimming pool for the past 40 years, not 10 as some of you think.
    The population has grown, this thing about people coming up from the country to "save" Dublin - that's just silly talk.
    People go to where the work is. Whether or not people came up from the country or not - the population would still have grown to the 40,000
    that it is.

You are where you are and while you are there you need to try and make the best for yourself, and more importantly for you kids and their kids.
    This government did not do anything for Lucan. Luas was knocked on the head. St Eds aminity zone is gone. Liffey Valley green space is dead.
    There is very little cleaning and upkeep from the council, the Lucan Tidy Towns committee do all the hedge trimming as far as I can see.
    The parks are a mess with rubbish and ant-social behaviour.

The only thing keeping Lucan going as a community are volunteer groups, and it seems to be the same few people doing all the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Don't think so. He only got circa 1500 votes last time. Nowhere near even been close. I don't think he's repaired his reputation enough yet. Maybe I'm wrong

Did he not cruise in on the last local council vote?

stoneill wrote: »
    Derek Keating will have hard battle to get back in.
    One he signed up to FG he lost a lot of support - he was good as a councilor, not good as a TD.
    He made a mess of promoting himself onto to be caught trying to nab all the Lucan Gazettes in the area.

For those of you who are blow-ins - Lucan has been campaigning for a swimming pool for the past 40 years, not 10 as some of you think.
    The population has grown, this thing about people coming up from the country to "save" Dublin - that's just silly talk.
    People go to where the work is. Whether or not people came up from the country or not - the population would still have grown to the 40,000
    that it is.

You are where you are and while you are there you need to try and make the best for yourself, and more importantly for you kids and their kids.
    This government did not do anything for Lucan. Luas was knocked on the head. St Eds aminity zone is gone. Liffey Valley green space is dead.
    There is very little cleaning and upkeep from the council, the Lucan Tidy Towns committee do all the hedge trimming as far as I can see.
    The parks are a mess with rubbish and ant-social behaviour.

The only thing keeping Lucan going as a community are volunteer groups, and it seems to be the same few people doing all the work.

Your obviously living in a different Lucan than where I am. For example:
    1) The running club got a 200,000 grant to build a new track
    2)Sarsfields got a big grant also
    3)Some of the football clubs got good grants also.
    4)Griffeen Park is cut twice a month
    5)Hedges get cut every year where we are.
    6)The street cleaning machine is out every 2 weeks
    7)The grass areas beside the road is cut every 2/3 weeks also.
    8)New playground in Griffeen, other one getting upgraded there also and a new one down by larkfield

As for the Luas getting knocked on the head, that was brillant, I get the luas from our inlaws most days, it takes longer than the bus and the bus service was slashed. The route they picked for Lucan luas would of took 50-60 mins to get into town if not more and going thru bad areas, it would be like the red line and trust me thats not a good thing.

As in relation to Keating, for sure a better councillor than TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Did he not cruise in on the last local council vote?

He was 4th in Lucan with 1,221 1st preferences. Elected on the 11th count behind SF, FG and independent Guss O'Connell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Oh and I think voting for a TD on the basis of who'll deliver a swimming pool is lunacy. That's what Councillors are for. TDs should be about running the country not solely about their local area.

Dodge wrote: »
    Oh and I think voting for a TD on the basis of who'll deliver a swimming pool is lunacy. That's what Councillors are for. TDs should be about running the country not solely about their local area.

Totally agree with you there, TD should be about at national level but should keep a presence in the area like Fitzgerald has.

Sadly in Ireland we play the local politics instead.

Next politician who knocks on my door, I'm going to ask when Weston is going to be upgraded to an international airport.
    We deserve one out here in Lucan.
    I also want a new football/rugby/GAA stadium that can hold 30,000
    Maybe another motorway to bypass the Ring Road...

Next politician who knocks on my door, I'm going to ask when Weston is going to be upgraded to an international airport.
    We deserve one out here in Lucan.
    I also want a new football/rugby/GAA stadium that can hold 30,000
    Maybe another motorway to bypass the Ring Road...

Only one has knocked on my door so far!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

So Fitzgerald is fairly sure and after that it's devil take the hindmost.

Curran, Gogarty, Keating, Tuffy have also all been TD's but I can't see Gogarty or Curran getting back.

Tuffy would probably come back ahead of Keating. If people are transferring to the government partners and either Tuffy or Keating are eliminated that should get the other past the post.

Predictions of O'Brion topping the poll means nothing because any SF candidate pretty much has to top the poll to have any chance because they are transfer toxic. What is interesting is how many of those who deserted FF for SF last will go back. If Curran does well then O'Brion may suffer. The left wing vote is split, and all pretty much saying the same thing ( water , 8th , social housing etc. ) and some left wing votes will go to Tuffy.

Lucan and Clondalkin both have similar populations so if you are only getting votes from one you'll need to get 40% of those votes. And that's going to bite most of the candidates. And Palmerstown is there too and more like Lucan.

It'll take a few counts to sort out. Will probably depend on the order of eliminations. It could be nailbiting time when there's four left in the race because the number of votes being transferred will be going up.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭masti123

masti123 wrote: »

I think Curran will come third, he pulled a big first vote in the last election and alot will return back to him that voted for Keating the last time.

With AAA-PBP backing adams, that could hurt their vote

• Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭emo72

enda really really went a full 180 from the weekend with his "WHINGERS" and "No, I wont apologise", to this in the journal.ie........

Meanwhile, Enda Kenny admitted earlier that he makes mistakes “the same as everybody else”. The Taoiseach was speaking at the end of campaign that has been marred by a series of gaffes.

i can see now why he gets slagged about not being let out without his handlers.

also read the indo today and not surprisingly very anti SF throughout. with many sections of the media warning me and trying to scare me if i vote for them, im inclined to be a bit naughty and vote for them.

3610lk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭emo72

cant argue with that:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,404 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'm going to ask when Weston is going to be upgraded to an international airport.

It already was a few decades ago. An international airport without any checks. Isn't that how a local criminal family made several billion? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

unkel wrote: »
    It already was a few decades ago. An international airport without any checks. Isn't that how a local criminal family made several billion? :cool:

Says 'Senor Fring' !! :D

It was very busy in Esker School this morning around 7:30!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

https://www.twitter.com/RTEdubMIDWEST/status/703539358901657600

Genuinely surprised that Curran did that well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

phasers wrote: »
    https://www.twitter.com/RTEdubMIDWEST/status/703539358901657600

Genuinely surprised that Curran did that well.
    I can't believe he's doing so well, it's like there's been a breakout of collective amnesia.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

O'Broin
    FitzGerald
    Curran
    Kenny

Such poor options amongst the non left wing candidates got Curran in.

Such a big vote FF might run two Candidates at the next election.....in 6 months.......

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Didn't expect Tuffy to do that badly. From two TD's to a quarter of a quota. :eek:
    20% +1 vote will get you in. So O'Broin and Fitzgerald can relax.

Curran is probably safe too :(

And going out on a limb here, :pac:
    looks like someone from the left, *awaits* transfers.

https://twitter.com/RTEdubMIDWEST
    100% tally: O'Broin 22.54%, Fitzgerald 21.11%, Curran 16.09%, Kenny 10.73%, McNally 6.15, Keating 5.42%, Gogarty 5.89,% Tuffy 4.88%

Such poor options amongst the non left wing candidates got Curran in.

Such a big vote FF might run two Candidates at the next election.....in 6 months.......
    I'd also argue that too many options amongst the left wing candidates also helped.

Keating is ex-FF, ex-PD , ex-independent and probably soon to be ex-FG on that performance.

A ff h government means no pool for lucan, we get nothing off them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

A ff h government means no pool for lucan, we get nothing off them

That is the mentality that has seen two Healy Raes elected in Kerry, Lowry in Tipperary and a mish mash of communists and single issue candidates elected today .

National infrastructure, housing and public services enhanced through a nationally coordinated plan is what's needed and we we will get none of that due to the incoherent mess that will govern the country shortly.

Lucan needs a hell of a lot more than a swimming pool.

Advertisement