Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum percentage broadband speed

Options
  • 29-01-2016 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me if a broadband provider is bound to provide a "minimum percentage" of the "upto" speed that is quoted on my bill?
    On my Eir bill I am paying for upto 30mb but am only getting between .80 and .90mb download
    I don't expect to get 30mb but still this does seem a little poor
    Can anyone tell me what my rights are regarding this and what my rights are with regards to my contract 
    Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭eir: Alan

Steve F wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if a broadband provider is bound to provide a "minimum percentage" of the "upto" speed that is quoted on my bill?
    On my Eir bill I am paying for upto 30mb but am only getting between .80 and .90mb download
    I don't expect to get 30mb but still this does seem a little poor
    Can anyone tell me what my rights are regarding this and what my rights are with regards to my contract 
    Thank you

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Hi Steve F

There is no minimum percentage in the term up to as broadband cannot be guaranteed. The universal service obligation set by comreg does not apply to broadband but in terms of a phone line the following applies:[/font]

[font=Times New Roman","serif]use all reasonable efforts to make sure that connections to the publicly available telephone network can send and receive data at a rate of at least 28.8 kbit/s, if necessary by removing carrier systems equipment and increasing the data speed on certain lines, - See more at: http://www.askcomreg.ie/tell_us/universal_service_obligation___what_it_means_for_your_phone_service.264.LE.asp#sthash.uBb7lTrw.dpuf[/font]

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Feel free to Drop me a PM including your eir account number and I'll check for possible improvements to your speeds.
    [/font]

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Thanks[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Al
    [/font]

Advertisement