Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sexual assaults in Tallaght

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

So what is the truth here? No description of the attackers means we can presume they are not white, not Irish and not women. Minority groups are protected from discrimination by media in the law. Therefore logic can 100% determine that the group of attackers was a minority group.

What minority groups are protected? Homosexuals, non-Christians, non-white ethnic groups, "women" (insofar as the legislation includes gender discrimination).

Therefore, a group of non-Irish non-Christian males committed a group sex attack in Tallaght. If anyone has any clarifiying information, please supply it. Otherwise, logic, the law and the reports so far suggest what it is. As if it is a surprise.

and by non-Irish, I mean ethnic Irish: this is different to the naturalised resident holder of a passport of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

So what is the truth here? No description of the attackers means we can presume they are not white, not Irish and not women. Minority groups are protected from discrimination by media in the law. Therefore logic can 100% determine that the group of attackers was a minority group.

What minority groups are protected? Homosexuals, non-Christians, non-white ethnic groups, "women" (insofar as the legislation includes gender discrimination).

Therefore, a group of non-Irish non-Christian males committed a group sex attack in Tallaght. If anyone has any clarifiying information, please supply it. Otherwise, logic, the law and the reports so far suggest what it is. As if it is a surprise.

and by non-Irish, I mean ethnic Irish: this is different to the naturalised resident holder of a passport of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Here's another gang rape, from Rathfarnham. I think it actually happened nearby in Knocklyon.

Honestly, when I heard about it at the time it was first reported around the time it happened I think there was some indication that the boys involved were foreign nationals. But, I cannot find any referenced to this anymore.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/district-court/one-of-five-boys-accused-of-sex-with-girl-15-opts-for-trial-by-jury-1.2515305

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

aphex™ wrote: »
    Here's another gang rape, from Rathfarnham. I think it actually happened nearby in Knocklyon.

Honestly, when I heard about it at the time it was first reported around the time it happened I think there was some indication that the boys involved were foreign nationals. But, I cannot find any referenced to this anymore.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/district-court/one-of-five-boys-accused-of-sex-with-girl-15-opts-for-trial-by-jury-1.2515305

I don't think so, in the articles in the Indo when it first became known the five Rathfarnham boys were referred to as local lads from "respectable" families, wearing suits not tracksuits to the court.

I think that people underestimate the scale of baseline sexual assaults that are happening every day without any imported input (which still remains a potential threat, of course).

mhge wrote: »
    I don't think so, in the articles in the Indo when it first became known the five Rathfarnham boys were referred to as local lads from "respectable" families, wearing suits not tracksuits to the court.

I think that people underestimate the scale of baseline sexual assaults that are happening every day without any imported input (which still remains a potential threat, of course).

Link? It hasn't come to court yet. You have to google Knocklyon to find the original mentions of it, but now the media have changed it to Rathfarnham.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Link? It hasn't come to court yet. You have to google Knocklyon to find the original mentions of it, but now the media have changed it to Rathfarnham.

It has

Link? It hasn't come to court yet.

OK so whatever they were attending with their parents. It was actually a good while ago at the start of the proceedings... I'll try to find the link.

It has

Well, I spent a lot of time Googling the case before I made the post, and I couldn't find any other mentions of any court appearences other than the one I posted.

Perhaps if you posted a link your 'it has' post would be more useful, informative etc.

Awaiting your link. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

For those saying mass assaults are rare in Ireland, this article was from a few years ago

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/dramatic-rise-in-number-of-irish-teenagers-reporting-gang-rape-by-peers-608144.html

There might be a mismatch with the definition of mass assaults. For me it is a unique incident which involves several victims and at least dozens of perpetrator.
    The hundreds of victims and thousand perpetrators in Cologne definitly fit my definition (as do some of the smaller scale incidents in other German cities), but I don't see anything in your link suggesting anything like that happened in Ireland (it is mentioning "gang rape" which could be one victim and 2 or 3 perpetrators).

Don't get me wrong I am not saying in any way that taking part in a smaller scale "gang rape" is not as evil as take part of the Cologne assaults, just that I don't think calling it a mass assault is an appropriate description (how do you call Cologne then, which is definitely a much larger scale assault?)

That's the piece I mentioned:
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/amid-the-usual-teen-court-dramas-a-case-that-will-shock-the-nation-34260969.html

The voice of the teenage boy was barely audible. Glancing back nervously at his mother and father, the schoolboy asked Judge Patricia McNamara, presiding over the children's court list at Tallaght District Court, if he could speak to his parents. The professional, middle-class couple, who seemed at sea in a court that all too frequently processes the life and crimes of troubled children in care, in turn looked to their barrister Conor McKenna for support.

The boys are well dressed, the judge is compassionate etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Bob24 wrote: »
    There might be a mismatch with the definition of mass assaults. For me it is a unique incident which involves several victims and at least dozens of perpetrator.
    The hundreds of victims and thousand perpetrators in Cologne definitly fit my definition (as do some of the smaller scale incidents in other German cities), but I don't see anything in your link suggesting anything like that happened in Ireland (it is mentioning "gang rape" which could be one victim and 2 or 3 perpetrators).

Don't get me wrong I am not saying in any way that taking part in a smaller scale "gang rape" is not as evil as take part of the Cologne assaults, just that I don't think calling it a mass assault is an appropriate description (how do you call Cologne then, which is definitely a much larger scale assault?)
    I didn't think too much about it, fixed now though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

mhge wrote: »
    Drunken sex at private parties is unfortunately a well established part of our cultural history. Its illegal because of the inability of a drunk to give consent, and its even worse when it involves an underage (minor). It is avoidable though.

This thread was discussing a phenomenon that is new. Groups of men hanging around public places, molesting and even assaulting women simply because they are travelling unaccompanied by men, and possibly are displaying some small amount of uncovered skin. That is not a part of our cultural heritage.

recedite wrote: »
    Drunken sex at private parties is unfortunately a well established part of our cultural history. Its illegal because of the inability of a drunk to give consent, and its even worse when it involves an underage (minor). It is avoidable though.

This thread was discussing a phenomenon that is new. Groups of men hanging around public places, molesting and even assaulting women simply because they are travelling unaccompanied by men, and possibly are displaying some small amount of uncovered skin. That is not a part of our cultural heritage.

I think you're somewhat optimistic. My friend lives near to where a group of teenagers likes to hang out by the Centra. She's been harassed many times only because she's busty, with groping attempts too. She warns her other friends when we visit. Another friend was walking through the Liberties when a lad came up and grabbed her crotch with a lewd comment as other lads watched and laughed. A couple I know pulled out of a purchase of a house because of a similar incident - they didn't know the area very well but their relative lives there, and she told them that just days before a local girl was mass groped like that, luckily she was with a sibling who ran and got a neighbour. In broad daylight too. These are common enough incidents and to be honest it's quite likely that the groping assault in Tallaght was reported on mainly because of the rape that had happened in the vicinity and the possibility that the two were linked. As a woman you'd have to have your head firmly in the clouds to believe it's not happening.

I have no idea if Tallaght gropers are foreign or not, the point is that they don't need to be. It's actually sad how everyone starts paying attention now after Cologne etc. while earlier local incidents would be shrugged off. That girl who wrote in the Indo about the amount of unwanted attention she got as she walked down Camden St in her plain coat, she got a lot of ire and princess or she should be so lucky comments. Had she said that her abusers looked foreign there would be outrage. Why is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

I imagine that no description has been given as the suspects in question are underage.

Plus if this is to be believed the gang who assaulted the two sisters has been described as "Eastern European". 2b3dacC

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

So no more word on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

[url] http://www.sundayworld.com/news/crimedesk/mother-of-tallaght-sex-attack-victims-describes-horrific-incident [/url]

"The sisters are “very shaken” after the assault and in shock, but their mum said both daughters would be able to identify the boys who carried out the assaults, who were described to gardai as of Eastern European origin."

[url] http://www.sundayworld.com/news/crimedesk/mother-of-tallaght-sex-attack-victims-describes-horrific-incident [/url]

"The sisters are “very shaken” after the assault and in shock, but their mum said both daughters would be able to identify the boys who carried out the assaults, who were described to gardai as of Eastern European origin."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

More on the Sunday World site

http://www.sundayworld.com/news/crimedesk/mother-of-tallaght-sex-attack-victims-describes-horrific-incident
    their mum said both daughters would be able to identify the boys who carried out the assaults, who were described to gardai as of Eastern European origin.

The girls’ mother stressed she did not want to tar all foreign nationals as many are valued members of the local community.

“They didn’t know them, but they would recognise them if they saw them again,” she said.

http://evoke.ie/news/irish-news/tallaght-rape-investigation-dublin

"Gardai investigating the rape of a 14-year-old girl in broad daylight have seized mobile phones of five people linked to the horrific attack."

http://evoke.ie/news/irish-news/tallaght-rape-investigation-dublin

"Gardai investigating the rape of a 14-year-old girl in broad daylight have seized mobile phones of five people linked to the horrific attack."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

rubadub wrote: »
    It's not only "alleged perpetrators", I remember maybe 3-4 years back a girl went missing, her name struck me as quite unusual, sounded possibly African, however there was absolutley no mention of skin colour, I don't think nationality either. It had some description though, like 18 years old, 5 foot 2, slim build, dark hair, last seen with a yellow jacket. Turned out she was black as I expected.
    This has happened again. I was reading it on teletext which obviously has no photo, and the same description as below

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/15-year-old-missing-from-dublin-720026.html
    Gardaí are appealing for your help in tracing the whereabouts of a girl missing from Dublin.
    15-year-old Kelly Adebutu hasn't been seen since last Sunday.
    Kelly is described as being 5 foot 2 in height, has braided wine coloured hair and was last seen at approximately at Woodford Park in Clondalkin.
    When last seen she was wearing a brown jacket, dark blue bottoms and black runners with silver markings.

KellyAdebutuMissingFeb16_large.jpg?width=600&s=bn-720026

hope she is found safe & sound, but I reckon her skin colour is an easier thing to spot and stand out than the "silver markings" on her runners.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

A series of sex attacks in Shankill and the Gardaí have a description of the attacker but aren't making it public.

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/news/third-sex-attack-sparks-angry-protest-at-station-as-garda-make-fresh-appeal-34444462.html

Why can't they release this description of the attacker? Seems odd.

A series of sex attacks in Shankill and the Gardaí have a description of the attacker but aren't making it public.

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/news/third-sex-attack-sparks-angry-protest-at-station-as-garda-make-fresh-appeal-34444462.html

One of the victims described him on Facebook I believe, a man in his 40s, black jacket, blue eyes, Dublin accent. Not particularly helpful...

http://1916societies.com/2016/02/04/community-patrols-tallaght/

The Padraig Pearse Society Clondalkin/Tallaght have commenced, since Tuesday evening, community patrols in the Springfield area of Tallaght, in response to an alarming increase in sexual assaults locally.

http://www.sundayworld.com/news/crimedesk/six-teens-facing-rape-charges-over-tallaght-attack-on-young-girl

Gardai have interviewed six under-age suspects who have all made voluntary statements after meeting officers by appointment.

Investigations have established that the attack had not been planned.

"This seems to be a situation which got completely out of hand. Statements have been made by all the relevant people involved," a senior source said.

"A file is almost ready to be sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions, but the force's Director of Juvenile Affairs is also reviewing this case.
    Gardai said there was no link between the rape and the sexual assault of two other teenagers in the area an hour after the first attack.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

GARDAI are investigating an alleged sexually motivated attack on a woman this morning in Bancroft Park, Tallaght, The Echo has learned.

The woman was walking through Bancroft Park, which lies off the Greenhills Road, at around 8.40am this morning, February 25, when a male approached her from behind, knocking her to the ground.

According to the woman’s report, the lone male, who she describes as being in his mid-teens, held her down and started to kiss her.

Speaking to The Echo, the woman, who wishes to remain anonymous, said: “He started kissing me but I put up a struggle and hit him with my phone a few times.

“I managed to fight him off and when he stood up and started to run away, I noticed that his trousers were down.”

The woman, who was on her way to a dentist appointment when approached, added: “I’m totally shaken up by this, I walk everywhere on my own – you never think something like this will happen to you, especially in the morning.

“I put a warning up on Facebook and am also speaking with The Echo because I think people need to be aware that this happened in a local park.

“I’d be worried if a younger person was targeted and in this park, at this time of the morning, there’s children going to school, people walking to work and others out walking their dogs.

“People need to be aware and keep their wits about them.”

The woman received a cut to her lip during the struggle, which she got examined in Tallaght Hospital.

“I am ok”, she told The Echo.

“I’m still a bit shaken but there was no need for stitches to my lip.”

The woman, who said her attacker fled in the direction of Tymon, reported the incident to Tallaght Garda Station.

Confirming the report, a Garda spokeswoman told The Echo: “I can confirm that there was an alleged attack on a female in Tallaght this morning at approximately 9am.

“The female was approached by a lone male who knocked her to the ground.

“There were no serious injuries and an investigating is ongoing.”

Anybody with information is encouraged to contact Tallaght Garda Station on 6666000.
    http://www.echo.ie/tallaght/item/gardai-investigating-an-alleged-sexually-motivated-attack-in-tallaght?category_id=5

I understand what is essentially a vigilante group is patrolling Springfield currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭That username is already in use.

Because of his ethnicity.

http://www.thejournal.ie/court-defilement-girl-accused-tallaght-court-2692575-Apr2016

Three teenage boys accused of defilement of 15-year-old girl sent to trial

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

rubadub wrote: »
    This has happened again.
    Missing boy in tallaght and yet again seemingly afraid to mention skin colour. Again I heard it on the radio, only his name made me think FFS not this again.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0517/789090-missing-dublin-destiny-omoriuy/

000c3f34-642.jpg
    The public's assistance is being sought by gardaí in tracing the whereabouts of a 13-year-old boy missing from Dublin.

Destiny Omoriuyi was last seen at his home at Moynihan Court in Tallaght, Dublin 24, on 16 May.

Gardaí wish to seek the public’s assistance in tracing the whereabouts of, 13 year old, Destiny Omoriuyi who is missing from his home at Moynihan Court, Tallaght, Dublin 24.

He is described as being 1.524m tall (5ft), of broad build, with black hair and brown eyes. When last seen he was wearing dark tracksuit bottoms, a black top and black and white runners.

Anyone who has seen Destiny or who can assist in locating him is asked to contact Tallaght Garda Station on 01-6666000, the Garda Confidential Telephone Line 1800 666 111 or any garda station.

The girl in my previous post was thankfully found ok
    http://www.thejournal.ie/missing-kelly-adebutu-2596823-Feb2016/

• Advertisement

Was there ever anyone caught for the sexual assault in Ashgrove?

Advertisement