Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forbidden Fruit 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Went on the Saturday and I really enjoyed it. I was expecting the crowd to be worse to be honest, I went for the weekend last year and thought the crowd was worse than it was this year (on the Saturday at least), it felt like there were two separate festivals going on though, over at the main stage/bulmers lounge side it felt quite calm and a mix of all ages just enjoying themselves without going too mad, but once you went over closer to the Undergrowth/Lighthouse stage side the crowd instantly felt a lot younger and messier, which was more reminiscent of last year. Maybe this was because it was Jungle & Tame Impala on the main stage while all of the DJs were over the other side, not sure how it would have been yesterday with DJs pretty much on every stage.

The queues for the bar were unbearable at times, got to the point where I think everyone was ordering two drinks as they didn't want to have to queue again in another half an hours time. Queues for the girls toilets seemed pretty bad too but this seems to be the case at most music festivals. Music was good but nothing outstanding, went to see Bondax, Jungle, Kiasmos, DJ Deece & Tame Impala and all of them were enjoyable, Bondax arguably the surprise highlight with a serious DJ set. It seems as if last year Forbidden Fruits organisers decided to change the type of acts they book for the festival (or maybe the organisers themselves changed?), when you look at line ups from 2014 and previous it was a great mix of bands and DJs and it felt like it was a city centre festival aimed at a mature enough audience, but last year and this year feel like they have focused almost solely on electronic music and attracting a much younger crowd, which has overall taken away from the festival IMO. It is sad to see in a way as I think it could still be a great festival if they had of kept it like before, but maybe that's nostalgia talking.

I'm double the age of most festival goers and it's either electronic/dance that gets me there or a big rock act.

Jamie XX was brilliant at FF last year and I'm sorry I missed Bondax now.

The main stage Saturday was an MOR waste of time.

Disgraceful the lack of food facilities for the amount of people there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

just home.

about to go on a rant. forgive me.

****ing knackers the lot of them. jersey shore, conor macgregor wannabees everywhere. tame impala was background music to vacuous selfies, void empty vessels of humanity draped in fake tan, michael kors and cheap cider.

maybe I'm getting old (31) maybe I'm posh (never thought i was) but i want nothing to do with this set any more. carpet bomb the place and start again.

i paid 120 quid for a weekend ticket just to see tame impala and they are wasted on that crowd . a ****ing disgrace.

ps : queue for toilets was ridiculous
    queue for pints was worse
    finished too early.
    main stage was blocked out of view by sound tent.
    layout was awful.

I'm out of touch, I'm old , I'm jaded and cynical but I've ****ing had it with this country ,its mediocre organisation ,event junkie fans and rip off culture.

stop the world . nehe wants to get off

That's this selfie narcissistic era, my friend. Definitely understand where you're coming from..most people taking selfies and no interest in Tame Impala, they were wasted on that crowd!

Considering Saturday looked like it had more of an alternative/underground line-up, most of the crowd were fake-tanned, shorts with cheeks out clones of each other. It's like the whole Coachella vibe is taking over every somewhat popular music festival who don't have a huge interest in the musical acts.

I felt quite old there and I'm 28! The queues were such a pain!! Despite my complaints I actually enjoyed the day, the music was brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Smuggled in so much gin and whiskey that I only had to get 3 pints in there, so the queues didn't affect me as much.
    Food stall selection was awful, kanum was the only decent one. There was a few generic chippers with fancy 'gourmet' looking signs, but they were serving up muck, frozen chips and burgers, awful stuff. No falafel, no paella, no decent pulled pork, no nice burgers.
    The crowd would put me off going to this festival again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

That's this selfie narcissistic era, my friend. Definitely understand where you're coming from..most people taking selfies and no interest in Tame Impala, they were wasted on that crowd!

Considering Saturday looked like it had more of an alternative/underground line-up, most of the crowd were fake-tanned, shorts with cheeks out clones of each other. It's like the whole Coachella vibe is taking over every somewhat popular music festival who don't have a huge interest in the musical acts.

I felt quite old there and I'm 28! The queues were such a pain!! Despite my complaints I actually enjoyed the day, the music was brilliant!

Let me know when you find a festival with no good looking women taking selfies, so I can avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Mr.Plough wrote: »
    Let me know when you find a festival with no good looking women taking selfies, so I can avoid it.

Castle pollard sheep shearing festival.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Texas Jack

Worst festival crowd I've ever seen

The youth of today are seriously f*cked

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Just flew into Dublin tonight and whilst going back to Galway on the Gobus passed an area with a large wall and green area, I recognised the Cosby Tent, was that at Forbidden Fruit, the red marquee with the swiggly yellow line.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Texas Jack wrote: »

As said about literally every generation in history. They're no more fcked than your generation or whoever comes next.

Texas Jack wrote: »

What do you mean by worst festival crowd you've seen? I didn't think the crowd were too bad, I didn't witness any fights just people high as kites having a good time - which I'm sure has been similar to the youth of the past few decades!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I gotta say taking into account most act's where dj's I thought the crowd was fine,
    I didn't see any trouble at all,
    Year ago going to creamfeilds and winter party and the likes the crowd was much worse,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

I honestly thought the crowd were goonna be worse. Didn't see any trouble, people seemed to be enjoying themselves for the most part.

My one big complaint was the sound quality in the UnderGrowth stage, Kiasmos were no where near as good as they should be. Fortunately they were part of the after party, done a fantastic boiler room type set downstairs in the Grand Social which made-up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

There was nothing wrong with the crowd at all, except the agitation to be expected from too many people on a long hot day trying to access too few facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Only went on Saturday, highlight - Battles. I could watch that drummer and the pedal-wizard guitarist all day.

Crowd didn't seem that bad to me, I'd take it over Longitude anyway.

Mens toilets were a sopping piss fest, would have hated to seen the ground around them on the Sunday.

It might be recency bias, but Tame Impala are probably up there as the most boring, dreary live performance I've witnessed. Left early to beat the crowds.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Was the Cosby tent there can someone confirm.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

maximoose wrote: »
    Only went on Saturday, highlight - Battles. I could watch that drummer and the pedal-wizard guitarist all day.

Crowd didn't seem that bad to me, I'd take it over Longitude anyway.

Mens toilets were a sopping piss fest, would have hated to seen the ground around them on the Sunday.

It might be recency bias, but Tame Impala are probably up there as the most boring, dreary live performance I've witnessed. Left early to beat the crowds.

I enjoyed Tame Impala very much, I'm a huge fan of theirs! Although I was struggling to hear, maybe that was just me, but the speakers didn't seem loud enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

I only went to see Tame Impala and they didn't disappoint. Incredible gig and the crowd were really getting into it from what I saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

I've heard zero mention of Dizzie Rascal?

Did anyone bother to go see him? I kinda thought he was a strange choice of headliner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Maysa07

Sunday = very messy. Most people walking around with jaws like cash registers. even a after a few pints we felt very uncomfortable. we left before Underworld because the company i was with couldn't wait to leave :(

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Annie_Oakes

Shambles of an event. 6 for a drink (after queuing 15-20 minutes) which wasn't even a pint, it was a 400ml cup which wasn't even filled to the brim. Didn't bother eating (saved money I suppose) because the food places were minging. Toilets disgusting, piss pit.

Arrived at 9:05 on Friday to collect my ticket from guestlist and the guest list Portakabin closed at 9 so couldn't get in and had to go home, even though the festival was still on for another 90 mins and the Ticketmaster van was still open.

Saturday was alright, didn't have too many issues.

Sunday was way overpacked, couldn't move and genuinely felt a bit concerned about not having anywhere to sit (for a few mins) comfortably.

I'm sure there are more but it was a PITA.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Arrived at 9:05 on Friday to collect my ticket from guestlist and the guest list Portakabin closed at 9 so couldn't get in and had to go home, even though the festival was still on for another 90 mins and the Ticketmaster van was still open.

In fairness though, arriving that late to pick up your freebie and expecting it still to be open is kinda taking the p1ss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Annie_Oakes

Meh, not sure I agree. Wasn't free by the way did have to donate cash to charity.

but yeah... pick that out of everything I said. :ermm:

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭LightsStillOn

By the sound of things most of ye on here did everything bar enjoy yourselves :D

Didn't get to go this year but people who did and I've been talking to since said they had a great time. Messy people, piss covered toilets and people off their faces are to be expected, it's a music festival in Ireland after all!! You can either say **** it and not let it bother you or be tutting all day/night and not fully be able to have a good time because of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

400ml glasses?that illegal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

By the sound of things most of ye on here did everything bar enjoy yourselves :D

Didn't get to go this year but people who did and I've been talking to since said they had a great time. Messy people, piss covered toilets and people off their faces are to be expected, it's a music festival in Ireland after all!! You can either say **** it and not let it bother you or be tutting all day/night and not fully be able to have a good time because of it.

The main gripes are little things that can be improved on, more toilet facilities/more bars. If everyone clapped their hands and said 'Oh what a wonderful time was had by all' things wouldn't change.

Occasionally you have to call people out on their lack of organisation in order for them to make it a better event for everyone next year. I'm not going to turn this into a 'This is why the country is down the ****ter rant' but seriously, it's a music festival, people want to spend their hard earned dollar on beer and then piss it out 30 minutes later, make it as easy as possible for them to do it and you'll make more money.

In saying that though, I was there the first year and queued for an hour for a pint so maybe nothing will change!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Yea i remember the first year was ridiculous when it came to the bar set up. Didnt they run out of beer early enough in the day or something. Then either the end of the Sunday they just opened up a back of a van and sold cans from there.

Maysa07 wrote: »
    Sunday = very messy. Most people walking around with jaws like cash registers. even a after a few pints we felt very uncomfortable. we left before Underworld because the company i was with couldn't wait to leave :(

As someone pointed out already, it is a music festival, it's inevitable that many will be off their faces with jaws swinging (me fein included). If you're not comfortable with that kind of thing perhaps a Croke Park gig, Bruce and a few pints is more your thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

bigpink wrote: »
    400ml glasses?that illegal

It's not, no obligation to serve in pints here. You might be thinking of the UK. As long as they advertise it as being 400ml then they're fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Yea i remember the first year was ridiculous when it came to the bar set up. Didnt they run out of beer early enough in the day or something. Then either the end of the Sunday they just opened up a back of a van and sold cans from there.
    the cooling system for the taps broke the first year, so they could only dish them out very slowly, which lead to huge lines.
    they started selling cans from the bars after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ciaradx

I went on the Sunday with a big group, we had a fab time. We went in early and got a good spot in the grass and had no problems with queuing for bars and toilets. I did notice a huge surge in the crowd as the day went on and there was a lot of younger people and some very questionable outfits :pac:

We got a good spot on the hill for Flume and Underworld (highlight of the day) and nobody bothered us at all.

I had a way worse experience at Longitude last year with young teens sloppy drunk ruining the atmosphere and banging into people and generally causing problems. I'll take FF over Longitude any day.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

It's not, no obligation to serve in pints here. You might be thinking of the UK. As long as they advertise it as being 400ml then they're fine.

Sneaky tho
    Did we not have a measures act for alcohol?

Advertisement