Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connect a surface pro to a network?

Options
  • 29-01-2016 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to connect a Surface Pro (Win 10 pro) tablet to a network.

Wifi is connected so tablet has internet access.

When I try to add it t the domain under settings - It cannot connect & to check the domain name. I know domain is correct.

Has anyone done this, is there an exception or default rule blocking the tablet connecting to the domain by default?

Connecting to a 2011 server.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Windows 10 pro or Windows 10 home?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Windows 10 pro or Windows 10 home?

It's deffo Win 10 pro

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Are you using the FQDN? sometimes Windows won't connect to domains unless you use it. so rather than LOCAL, you would connect to LOCAL.mycompany.com etc.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Is the DNS entry set to the DC address or a DNS server for your domain ?

Ken

yoyo wrote: »
    Are you using the FQDN? sometimes Windows won't connect to domains unless you use it. so rather than LOCAL, you would connect to LOCAL.mycompany.com etc.

Nick

Thanks, I've tired with & without local in the domain name.

• Advertisement

ZENER wrote: »
    Is the DNS entry set to the DC address or a DNS server for your domain ?

Ken

I've tired with automatic detect & with the DNS entry set & a fixed IP address.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Is this the only wifi device that can't bind? Without some description of your system it's difficult to advise.

Can you ping the DC from the surface ? What IP address does it resolve to ? Normally the DC will be the DNS server for a domain but if your wifi unit also provides IP addresses then it may not be configured to give the DCs address. Whatever address the ping resolved to for the DC would be the first address I would try in the DNS entry for the client.

If ping doesn't work try getting a configuration from another client on the network that is joined to the domain and use the DNS entry on it on the Surface.

Worth a try to get started ?

Ken

Advertisement