Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sigur Ros @ Royal Hospital Kilmainham

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

A mate is giving a ticket away free. You'll have to look up Omerta on Twitter. Not messing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

JVMM pretty decent so far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

I didn't go in the end up, listening to them now from my balcony with serious envy and regret!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Well they didn't let me in with the chair but we found a picnic table at the back which did the trick. Great gig, wind messed with the sound a bit but a relaxed crowd and a cracking light show from sigur rós meant for a good evening all told!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

Fantastic gig. Can't believe they didn't play hoppipolla though. That was my only disappointment

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

OhHiMark wrote: »
    Fantastic gig. Can't believe they didn't play hoppipolla though. That was my only disappointment

Not enough hands on stage probably. Not sure what to make of backing tracks throughout gig but enjoyed it. Was different to when I saw them last and there were about ten on stage!

Thought the opening act , James Canty, was absolutely horrendous. I don't know how these people get signed. Ropey as f**k.

Moved a couple of times and I couldn't find a spot that wasn't surrounded by people chatting away, taking selfies, and generally not listening to the band at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

Raging I missed it. Heard the light show was incredible! Bought tickets but passed them on :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

Moved a couple of times and I couldn't find a spot that wasn't surrounded by people chatting away, taking selfies, and generally not listening to the band at all.

Similar situation at Jack White a couple of years back. Music was off the scale and there is all these hipsters hanging around chatting like they are in a bar. Would have to wonder why they bother at all. It seems to be becoming the norm. it ruins the atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭mosstin

Gig left me cold to be honest. Too many new songs. Great light show but pretty disappointing overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

mosstin wrote: »
    Gig left me cold to be honest. Too many new songs. Great light show but pretty disappointing overall.

There was one new song which was the first song - all others were off previous albums with the majority being off ( )
    ( ) 3
    Ágætis byrjun 2
    Kveikur 2
    Takk… 2
    Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust 1
    Von 1
    Others 1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Yeah, down near the left of the stage there was some moron talking to his pal all through the gig and wasn't even looking at the stage. Don't understand why he was there.

They only played one new song.

Anyway, I thought it was a good night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

My second time seeing SR.
    Was right up the front, most people were respectful/quiet but 2 very loud icelandic fans were roaring right beside me and were spoiling for a fight when someone from further back told them to shut the hell up.

I do think I preferred the o2 performance in 2013(?) but I have been looking forward to this gig since it was announced so I think I would take anything and think it was good :o

Fantastic time regardless - most people I were around were very happy to be there and enjoying the music. Stole myself a pic, don't lynch me! :p

Do agree that less people in the band left some songs slightly less powerful, even with backing tracks, but then again you need to factor in that its an outdoor gig too. Never seen them when they had Kjart except videos online so can't really judge much.

*I was under the impression there were seats, given we selected areas and images of previous gigs showed seats. I blame myself for not double checking though.

I am only in the door home now, so too tired to say much.
    Worth the travel up/down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I went with my wife, she didn't enjoy it too much but I loved it.

Felt there was a layer of something missing from the sound. (extra musicians!).

Glosoli could have done with an extra musical punch in the guts when it all kicked in. ;)

I suppose the backing tracks made up for it, and I guess they are trying something different which is good too.

Still an enjoyable gig, and some of the tunes stripped back to just the 3 of them at times were really good.

A lot of tunes off () as well, which may have suited the stripped down lineup, and I do like that album.

Would like to see them indoors next time.

Can't remember the name of the song where the bass player bangs the stick on the bass for the whole tune. Brilliant version of that last night with just the 3 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

There was one new song which was the first song - all others were off previous albums with the majority being off ( )

I was surprised at the lack of new songs. Not that I wasn't happy to get a "greatest hits" (more or less) set, but this tour was billed as a way for them to road test new material and shape it live before recording it. Beyond the first track, which has been released, there was NO new material at all.

Anyway, a small gripe. It was a good show! The audience were chilled out, plenty of people talking alright but I tried not to let it bother me. The start was really cool, when they were playing behind the screen for the first two songs then came out and launched into it.

No songs from Valtari, and in the O2 they only played one. Either they don't like it or the songs are too hard to play in that setting. Pity, as it's my favourite one!

They played very well with just the three of them, fair use of backing tracks I'd say, nothing wrong with that as they did show that most of it was played live. The guitar effects he uses are something else.

I fear they may miss Kjartan on piano / keyboards, and I wonder will the new album be more along the dark industrial route of Kveikur or will there be the beautiful melodic sound of Takk, Valtari, etc. The new song suggests an even mix between the two, it's really grown on me since the first listen, even though I still think the drums in the second half are a bit bonkers.

Anyway, good gig, well organised, sound was good, we were close to the front but still loads of space around us. Got out quickly, lots of Gardai present. James Vincent McMorrow was alright, played well, I liked the band set up but ultimately his latter music suffers from being a bit samey and boring. The first guy on, as someone else stated, was horrendous - one of the worst performances I've seen at a big gig. Obviously he's friends with someone important.

Thought I saw Orri Páll Dýrason standing outside chatting to someone on the walk out. Wasn't sure though.

seachto7 wrote: »
    Can't remember the name of the song where the bass player bangs the stick on the bass for the whole tune. Brilliant version of that last night with just the 3 of them.

Hafsól.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

Good turn out for the gig?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭bystarlight

Similar situation at Jack White a couple of years back. Music was off the scale and there is all these hipsters hanging around chatting like they are in a bar. Would have to wonder why they bother at all. It seems to be becoming the norm. it ruins the atmosphere.

Yeah, I thought the same, but did my best not to let it bother me. Aside from the people around me who were there for a good chat, there was a lad in front of me who insisted on waving his union jack flag around for the whole gig.

I saw a girl a bit ahead of me turn around and ask the guy behind her to take a photo of her and her friend. He point blank refused. I can understand why. It was during Vaka at the climax of the song (see 5:57 in the video below). She looked at him as if he'd ten heads. :)

Probably worth watching the entire video actually. From 2003.
    Great gig last night too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Ridicules post. There’s was only new material for about 6 minutes out of almost 90 minutes. If you don’t know shlt about the band, that’s fair enough. That’s up to you. But don’t go around giving an opinion that a certain event was disappointing, based on a completely fabricated comment by you. At least make a bit of an effort to make sure it is true. See what songs they did play, what albums they were on and when the albums were released. And you’ll find that only 3 songs out of the 12 were in the last 8 years.

I enjoyed the gig. It was nothing on the 3Arena or The Olympia before that. But they were exceptional. Too many negatives to an outdoor gig like that – The music gets distorted in the wind, chatty crowds who are there more for an evening out, weather, lack of connection with the band. And in Sigur Ros’ case, down to a 3 piece makes a difference. The chimes effect in Ebow was not as noticeable. Popplaid was good, but not quite as powerful. Starfuler was a bit of mess I thought. Not sure what was going on.
    But like I say (in my opinion), it is going from perfection of the previous gigs, to a very enjoyable gig last night. It would be impossible to match the previous heights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

As someone else tweeted
    Sigur Ros, Mogwai for coldplay fans

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭bystarlight

As someone else tweeted

I wouldn't agree with that one bit.
    I might tweet that and make it true.

As someone else tweeted

Nonsense. And I like Mogwai.

Sleep Dealer, maybe... :)

As someone else tweeted

You can't compare Sigur Ros and Mogwai. Two totally different bands. Both excellent though.

Also, what was with the amount of Gardai at the gig? Were they expecting something to kick off at a Sigur Ros gig?

One funny thing was, two scumbags near a burger bar, obviously scalpers who decided they'd go in. Loaded on booze, staring and laughing at what Sigur Ros were doing. It was like it just didn't compute .... :)

seachto7 wrote: »
    You can't compare Sigur Ros and Mogwai. Two totally different bands. Both excellent though.

Also, what was with the amount of Gardai at the gig? Were they expecting something to kick off at a Sigur Ros gig?

One funny thing was, two scumbags near a burger bar, obviously scalpers who decided they'd go in. Loaded on booze, staring and laughing at what Sigur Ros were doing. It was like it just didn't compute .... :)

Two other funny moments, one was Jonsi dropping one of his violin bows when he was trying to attach it to the mic stand, the way it just inevitably fell off the stage. The other was when, mid song, he stopped singing, and turned away and sneezed.

I saw a few cops inside but more out on the road. I guess to direct traffic and the crowds. We had parked on Thomas St just up from the Storehouse so it was a short enough walk up, worked out very well that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Yeah, I thought the same, but did my best not to let it bother me. Aside from the people around me who were there for a good chat, there was a lad in front of me who insisted on waving his union jack flag around for the whole gig.

I saw a girl a bit ahead of me turn around and ask the guy behind her to take a photo of her and her friend. He point blank refused. I can understand why. It was during Vaka at the climax of the song (see 5:57 in the video below). She looked at him as if he'd ten heads. :)

Probably worth watching the entire video actually. From 2003.
    Great gig last night too!

I've a sneaking suspicion the flag you refer to was an icelandic flag.

Two other funny moments, one was Jonsi dropping one of his violin bows when he was trying to attach it to the mic stand, the way it just inevitably fell off the stage. The other was when, mid song, he stopped singing, and turned away and sneezed.

I saw a few cops inside but more out on the road. I guess to direct traffic and the crowds. We had parked on Thomas St just up from the Storehouse so it was a short enough walk up, worked out very well that!

Did he sneeze or are you talking about when he turned away quickly after sustaining one note for about 7 hours during Festival? I just assumed he turned away so the mic wouldn't pick up his inhale.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭KazDub

An amazing gig, just loved every minute of it. Couldn't figure out what was going on at the beginning, was it just a projection of them or what? Then the screen started to raise up and realised it was actually them, in the flesh.
    The amount of Gardaí there was ridiculous, they should have done their research on the kind of fans that Sigur Ros have!
    Very well organised site. Disappointed not to have an encore, but that has to be the fastest I've ever seen a stage start to be dismantled. The guys had barely left the stage and the high vis/hard hat crew were already on taking everything down, so the crowd copped fairly quickly that they weren't going to be back. The weather held off too for the most part, which was a bonus.
    Can someone tell me the name of their very last song? It was amazing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

KazDub wrote: »
    Can someone tell me the name of their very last song? It was amazing.

Popplagio

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Did he sneeze or are you talking about when he turned away quickly after sustaining one note for about 7 hours during Festival? I just assumed he turned away so the mic wouldn't pick up his inhale.

I think the moment eviltimeban is referring to happened much earlier. Not sure if was a sneeze, I thought it was a cough.

Advertisement