Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sigur Ros @ Royal Hospital Kilmainham

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

OhHiMark wrote: »
    Did he sneeze or are you talking about when he turned away quickly after sustaining one note for about 7 hours during Festival? I just assumed he turned away so the mic wouldn't pick up his inhale.

No no, it was an actual, full on, in the middle of the song sneeze. Then back to singing.

The long note was impressive, but I've never been a fan of people doing this. It's a bit "look what I can do". :)

I was surprised at lack of encore (was hoping for a bit of Olsen Olsen) but they did play solidly for 1.5 hours, without the whole rigmarole of walking off then back on for the encore, they didn't waste any time. The middle part of the gig (which is normally the part that flags and you get tired from standing) actually flew by and I couldn't believe it was 22.15 when I checked my watch. Only 15 more minutes then we were done.

I thought the drummer stormed off but he came back for the goodbyes. It was quite a dramatic exit. Then again he'd just been pounding the drums with everything he had!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

I don't remember anyone sneezing, but Jonsi did drop his bows off stage
    But I think it was during staralfur that George had a problem with his guitar/amplifier or whatever because he started sort of laughing in annoyance, took his ear pieces out and seemed to be pretending to finger the notes?
    Then a stage hand came and fixed whatever - which may be why staralfur (I think it was that song?) sounded odd, but quite a few were stripped back.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭bystarlight

I've a sneaking suspicion the flag you refer to was an icelandic flag.

After a quick google search of "Icelandic flag" I think you could be right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Chelon

I don't know too much about this band but from comments above was this another example of a tour taking a "bare minimum" approach, ie 3 musicians plus a backing track?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭LG1234

Enjoyed it but think that pollagio (sp) and glosi missed that extra bit of epicness that was there previously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭flasher0030

LG1234 wrote: »
    Enjoyed it but think that pollagio (sp) and glosi missed that extra bit of epicness that was there previously.

It did alright. I had hyped up to the wife about the part in Popplagio where the heavy drums lead into the guitar crescendo – that she would never witness anything like it again in her life, whereby the music just takes over the body and euphoria kicks in. An out of this world experience. If reviewed on a stand-alone basis, it was a very good moment, but in comparison to what they had previously done (and what I had hyped it up to be), it was a slight damp squid. Damp squid may be a bit harsh though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

I thought it was a really good gig but, not comparable to the first 2 times I saw them .

I do appreciate their attempt and bravery going back to their post rock roots and doing things as a 3 piece.

One think I thought was incredible though was the lighting effect during Poplagio (last tune, the bit where they beamed light out to the crowd. The combination of it dazzling your visual field and the visuals on stage was something i never experience at a gig, really hard to describe.
    I dunno did every one experience it I was in the centre so it was the perfect spot ( and no i wasn't on anything :D)

Damp squid may be a bit harsh though.

A damp squib would be worse! :)

Sorry.

From what I remember,

Óveður
    Starálfur
    Sæglópur
    Glósóli
    Vaka (?)
    Ný Batterí
    E-Bow
    Festival
    Yfirborð
    Kveikur
    Hafsól
    Popplagið

^ Spot on! This is from the Sigur Ros forum. Same set they've been playing all tour.

01 Óveður
    02 Staralfur
    03 Saeglopur
    04 Glosoli
    05 Vaka
    06 Ny Batteri
    07 E-Bow
    08 Festival
    09 Yfirborð
    10 Kveikur
    11 Hafsol
    -
    12 Popplagið

Looks like 12 was gonna be an encore, last night they just played it, probably due to time.

So if this is the set they've been playing, what about all the "spirit of experimentation" and all that? In their own words:

"every time you go on tour you want it to be different…and every time it is, usually because you have a new album you want to play people. and that can be fun, because you have to work out how to recreate all the complicated stuff you did in the studio for the stage. but there was a time when things were the other way round, when we worked stuff out on the road, and trying to capture lightning in a bottle was a problem for the studio later on. this time, in addition to playing songs you know, we wanted to remember the seat-of-your-pants feeling experienced in the wake of, ágætis byrjun, when for two years we formed and re-formed the songs that would go on to be the ( ) album, live in front of people, night after night. with this in mind, we are pleased to announce that we are playing festivals next summer in the spirit of adventure. all we can say right now is it’s going to be different, with new unreleased songs, a new show and maybe some other *new* things. beyond that, we can only ask you to trust us on this one."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭flasher0030

A damp squib would be worse! :)

Sorry.

Thanks for setting me straight on that one. Don't know where I got my squid from.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I think the new music and experimentation is planned for the North American leg of the tour which will take in more intimate venues. The festival and stadium shows they are doing in Europe at the moment are probably too big and inflexible to be road testing new songs.

And they've never really done planned encores. I think they started doing unplanned ones last tour but they were pretty rare.

^ Spot on! This is from the Sigur Ros forum. Same set they've been playing all tour.
    =

Kinda a surprised they were playing the exact same set all tour, thought even they would like to play some different ones (even by just bringing in different previous songs).
    I assume the USA tour is more the experimental side coming out as SP says.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I may be wrong but I think this is the first time they've done big shows without Kjartan and/or other support, so part of the experimentation with the current leg is probably seeing how they manage as a trio. They are obviously trying to compensate with the video/lights/sampling, though that makes shaking up the setlist somewhat difficult.

I'm also not sure they are really comfortable in these kinds of settings anyway. People moan about bands not engaging with the audience but it's difficult to do that when the audience isn't fully engaged with them as tends to be the case at big shows. I think only very experienced stadium performers are able to block out the fact that half the people in front of them are idiots who just came to drink and chat.

It was a great gig regardless. Thankfully I had good spot where everyone was quiet and focused on the band. I really enjoyed James Vincent McMorrow as well.

I think the new music and experimentation is planned for the North American leg of the tour which will take in more intimate venues. The festival and stadium shows they are doing in Europe at the moment are probably too big and inflexible to be road testing new songs.

And they've never really done planned encores. I think they started doing unplanned ones last tour but they were pretty rare.

Yes but in the text I posted above they said "we are playing festivals next summer in the spirit of adventure" - which I took to mean road testing new material. I get that they've had to rework things as it's just the three of them, but there was a fair few backing tracks going (even vocal samples) so that's not really much of a stretch. It's not! I've played gigs using backing tracks and you can sound VERY impressive with just a minimal set up.

Not to take away from last night. I feel to really road test new material they'd have needed more musicians. I think it's right to say Kjartan would've been good to have around at this stage. I've always wondered why he left.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

failinis wrote: »
    My second time seeing SR.
    Was right up the front, most people were respectful/quiet but 2 very loud icelandic fans were roaring right beside me and were spoiling for a fight when someone from further back told them to shut the hell up.

Fantastic time regardless - most people I were around were very happy to be there and enjoying the music. Stole myself a pic, don't lynch me! :p

Do agree that less people in the band left some songs slightly less powerful, even with backing tracks, but then again you need to factor in that its an outdoor gig too. Never seen them when they had Kjart except videos online so can't really judge much.

*I was under the impression there were seats, given we selected areas and images of previous gigs showed seats. I blame myself for not double checking though.

I am only in the door home now, so too tired to say much.
    Worth the travel up/down.

I think they were the same people that I heard talking. They sounded Icelandic too. Makes me wonder if they came all the way from Iceland just to have a chat :confused:

I usually prefer indoor venues due to the sound, weather etc. Also the visuals would've looked so much better.

Nice pics btw.

Suas11 wrote: »
    I think they were the same people that I heard talking. They sounded Icelandic too. Makes me wonder if they came all the way from Iceland just to have a chat :confused:

I usually prefer indoor venues due to the sound, weather etc. Also the visuals would've looked so much better.

Nice pics btw.

Well I had no idea where they were from until someone else shouted from further away "I am from USA" and then they piped up shouting "We are from Iceland!" :pac:
    Apart from that it was fine. The last SR gig I went to was ruined by some drunk people who were their for a chat and shouting, sours my piss when people are like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

OhHiMark wrote: »
    Fantastic gig. Can't believe they didn't play hoppipolla though. That was my only disappointment
    Should've checked their recent sets, they haven't play it in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭sporina

mosstin wrote: »
    Gig left me cold to be honest. Too many new songs. Great light show but pretty disappointing overall.[/QUOTE

ekk..

had to laugh at some of the posts here.. the one about the union jack was funny..

yeah there were some chatter boxes etc but it didn't bother me.. I did wonder why some people were there though - didn't seem to engage at all.. bandwagon mayb?

love the music... setlist was tight - flowed v well.. twas v good considering there were only 3 of them and that it was outdoors etc.. I did kinda feel like it was a "tease gig" got my SR fix.. it was no 02 experience but great considering where they are at right now..

Popplagio was cut so short - anyone know why bands decision or out of their control?

Had not been to RHK before - thought the staff were great - and the crowd in general.. esp when we were leaving - there was a recording giving directions from exit etc.. when she finished talking the crowd cheered as leaving - and this continues with each repeat.. good vibe..

I look forward to the new album and another substantial tour..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I've some photos from the gig that will make their way online this week.

27822771572_c644cb838d_c.jpg

• Advertisement

^ nice! Just noticed the bird detail on this guitar - very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Wheeker

As someone else tweeted
    Sigur Ros, Mogwai for coldplay fans

Absolute nonsense! I'm a big fan of both & they are 2 totally different bands. For sure Mogwai have more power to them, but do not have the melody, vocals & strings/effects that Sigur Ros have!

I thought it was a great gig. Definitely felt different to previous gigs I've seen them (Olympia/Electric Picnic/o2) as there's only 3 of them now, but you could pick out individual performances a lot easier. Thought the light show/visuals were superb, though prob better in the dark/indoors.

Only problem I had was a really weird one- I was fairly near the front & just as they started the 1st song a youngish couple (20-30's) shoved/moved in front of a c. 50-60 yr old man beside me. He went ballistic & started shoving the guy around, saying he had been waiting there 2 hours. It happened again when they moved slightly more forward. He kinda had a point but was very aggressive about it. Strangely the young couple meekly argued with him but stayed where they were. Bad vibe all round:(... at a Sigur Ros gig:confused: I was going to try to mediate ("It's a big field", "You're not in the National Concert Hall now..") but thought better of it as the man looked slightly unhinged. Then half way though the gig the girl squats down for 5-10 mins & then they leave! TBH I think she was prob freaked out by it & had to go... such a shame to ruin someones night like that:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

As someone else tweeted
    Sigur Ros, Mogwai for coldplay fans

It must take a very low IQ to say something like that and mean it.

Wheeker wrote: »
    Absolute nonsense! I'm a big fan of both & they are 2 totally different bands. For sure Mogwai have more power to them, but do not have the melody, vocals & strings/effects that Sigur Ros have!

I thought it was a great gig. Definitely felt different to previous gigs I've seen them (Olympia/Electric Picnic/o2) as there's only 3 of them now, but you could pick out individual performances a lot easier. Thought the light show/visuals were superb, though prob better in the dark/indoors.

Only problem I had was a really weird one- I was fairly near the front & just as they started the 1st song a youngish couple (20-30's) shoved/moved in front of a c. 50-60 yr old man beside me. He went ballistic & started shoving the guy around, saying he had been waiting there 2 hours. It happened again when they moved slightly more forward. He kinda had a point but was very aggressive about it. Strangely the young couple meekly argued with him but stayed where they were. Bad vibe all round:(... at a Sigur Ros gig:confused: I was going to try to mediate ("It's a big field", "You're not in the National Concert Hall now..") but thought better of it as the man looked slightly unhinged. Then half way though the gig the girl squats down for 5-10 mins & then they leave! TBH I think she was prob freaked out by it & had to go... such a shame to ruin someones night like that:(

Era you see a lot of that going on at gigs.. folk pushing their way forward and standing in front of others who have been there before them..
    As you cannot book a standing place, specifically, I think that the onus is on each individual to respect one another; use a degree of manners and common sense.
    In a perfect world, one should stand where ever they join the crown - and not push thru.. but as are human and flaws come to us easily..
    Like I think its ok to move forward in a crowd but like, not to stand in front of someone smaller than you and block their view..
    I am mindful of this myself.. but I am small.. nonetheless.. if i move forward, I try to ensure that I am not blocking the person directly behind me..
    And obviously, no one should push anyone out of the way..

Bottom line, unless the couple blocked your mans view, then he was being irrational..

I find that some people can be a bit anal at "quiet sounding" gigs like Sigur Ros etc..
    EG I saw them in London, and if anyone uttered a word during the gig, this lady would tell them to be silent immediately. Ok I am not on for chatterboxes at gigs either.. but its not the cinema..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

A few people pushed in, in front of me at it, and "invaded my space" if you will, but it's an open air gig, so whaddya gonna do.

I anticipated that the crowd would ebb and flow anyhow, and it did. So even though it annoyed me a lot, I said nothing and let it pass. It was a Sigur Ros gig after all...

As to the older guy losing the head, well, even though it's cheeky shoving in front of him, it's an outdoor gig, so whaddya gonna do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Wheeker wrote: »

Sigur Ros girl ? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

threein99 wrote: »
    Sigur Ros girl ? :eek:

:eek: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

sporina wrote: »
    Era you see a lot of that going on at gigs.. folk pushing their way forward and standing in front of others who have been there before them..
    As you cannot book a standing place, specifically, I think that the onus is on each individual to respect one another; use a degree of manners and common sense.
    In a perfect world, one should stand where ever they join the crown - and not push thru.. but as are human and flaws come to us easily..
    Like I think its ok to move forward in a crowd but like, not to stand in front of someone smaller than you and block their view..
    I am mindful of this myself.. but I am small.. nonetheless.. if i move forward, I try to ensure that I am not blocking the person directly behind me..
    And obviously, no one should push anyone out of the way..

Bottom line, unless the couple blocked your mans view, then he was being irrational..

I find that some people can be a bit anal at "quiet sounding" gigs like Sigur Ros etc..
    EG I saw them in London, and if anyone uttered a word during the gig, this lady would tell them to be silent immediately. Ok I am not on for chatterboxes at gigs either.. but its not the cinema..

Wow that is very detailed!

buck65 wrote: »
    Wow that is very detailed!

well i hope you found it worthy of its length :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Not a Sigur Ros fan but my friend had a spare ticket so I went along. Have to say I was very impressed, will definitely try and catch them again when they play here again. Great venue too, just a pity the weather wasn't a bit better but at least the rain held off.

Advertisement