Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Day Hill-Walking Challenge (up to 95km with 4,200m height gain/descent)

Options
  • 29-01-2016 11:59am

You may have heard of the Fei Sheehy Challenge which took place for the first time in 2014. If you haven’t; it’s a three day, self-navigating, hill walking challenge to ‘cross’ the Comeragh, Galty and Knockmealdown mountain ranges. Pre-registered participants can elect to do one, two or three days.

It's also a charity fundraiser and the money raised via registration fees and sponsorship cards goes to the nominated charities. This year, the nominated beneficiaries are

Barretstown &
    Start360

You can also elect to raise funds for your own chosen charity. To date, we have raised over €20,000 for charities and voluntary organisations.

We’re going ahead with the event again this year (19th, 20th, 21st August) and pre-registration is open. If you log on to the website www.FeiSheehyChallenge.net you can pre-register now. Numbers are limited. If you can’t participate and want to help out, you can donate via the website or sponsor someone else that's taking part .

If you're in a club, you should try and organise a group to do it. I'd love to get a bit of lively banter going, between a few clubs, for the Club Challenge. If accommodation is an impediment for the Club Challenge I'm willing to contact walkers in the area about home-stays for those that might have long distances to travel. A small donation to the fundraising effort for availing of this service (in lieu of a B&B) would be fair, I think.

Stay fit, uninjured and safe.

Gerard Sheehy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Bump

I couldn't recommend this highly enough. A great challenge for a great cause so if you like a challenge, you'll love this :)

Bump

Registration closes on July 20th - it's time to put this in your summer walking calendar. You don't need to do all three, there's a fierce challenge in doing just one of the crossings :)

Thanks Neady83.

Registrations are up on this date last year. The vast majority have registered for the three days but that does not mean they'll all do the three. It's €50 to do all three and that goes to the nominated charities. 13 of those registered, to date in 2016, will be new to the event. Delighted that we're getting some walkers from the larger clubs in the Country.

I'd like to appeal to your New Years Resolution sentiment to commit to doing at least one day of the Fei Sheehy Challenge in 2017.

There's plenty time between now and August to get in the training. There's are also lots of other club challenges that you could do to help you on your way.

If you're fit enough to do one day, you could do two. If you're fit enough to do two days, you could do the three.

Get it done.

You'll never regret a good challenge walk. Or two. Or three.

Bump ......

I met GerardS, from around these parts, in Connemara on Sunday and he advised me that the Fei Sheehy is almost at capacity so I got my skates on and registered for the treble crossing.

It's a cracking event and a great challenge, go on .... you know you want to :)

• Advertisement

Thanks Neady83.

We've changed it slightly this year.

You won't be asked to take a sponsorship card. You can choose to raise funds, if you want to do so.

It'll be that last year that we will do three days walking for €50. Because it's a fundraiser, participants were giving out to me that it was too cheap. That's the kind of walker that the event attracts. Legends ;-)

The dates are 18th, 19th & 20th August.

There's a bit of interest in the Club Challenge this year so I'd say Peaks MC Clonmel will get a 'walk' for their money.

We're setting aside half the funds raised for future repair work on the open mountain and the balance will be divided between 3 local community groups/voluntary organisations.

There's a free draw for those that register. We have 5/6 prizes up for grabs already. All participants who have the full version of ViewRanger will get a few free credits (200 each).

The cost of staging the event (insurance, buses, medals etc. etc.) we get other donations for so walker money goes to the beneficiaries.

Advertisement