Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6.5 creedmoor

Options
  • 29-01-2016 1:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Well lads was thinking of getting a 6.5creedmoor probably a remington 700

only thing is finding it hard to find a dealer that has the 6.5 apparantly tehy are not popular here.

also is it restricted?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

mick65cm wrote: »
    Well lads was thinking of getting a 6.5creedmoor probably a remington 700

only thing is finding it hard to find a dealer that has the 6.5 apparantly tehy are not popular here.

also is it restricted?

It's not restricted but unless you reload, getting your hands on ammo is going to be challenging. You could order a batch from hps but it won't be cheap.

What are you thinking of using it for? If it's for hunting and target, you would be as well off sticking with the 6.5x55 which is a far more capable round than people realize. Excellent ballistics. That's if your heart is set on a 6.5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 mick65cm

amadablam wrote: »
    It's not restricted but unless you reload, getting your hands on ammo is going to be challenging. You could order a batch from hps but it won't be cheap.

What are you thinking of using it for? If it's for hunting and target, you would be as well off sticking with the 6.5x55 which is a far more capable round than people realize. Excellent ballistics. That's if your heart is set on a 6.5

Lad in the north stocks the ammo... not cheap but he has it anyway.

Want it for long range targets. plinking. not competition or anything. I was going to get a 300win mag but heard the 6.5creedmoor has same ballistics etc but doesn't kick as hard and was aasking over on sniperhide and lads there swear by the 6.5 creedmoor.

seems to be popular round with yanks... but dunno if it took off here properly, all the dealers i talked to are trying to talk me out of it and saying 308 is better option because its well known and cheaper. im sure it probably is good round... but my heart set on the 6.5 to be honest even if it is extra money.

Lad in the north stocks the ammo... not cheap but he has it anyway.

Want it for long range targets. plinking. not competition or anything. I was going to get a 300win mag but heard the 6.5creedmoor has same ballistics etc but doesn't kick as hard and was aasking over on sniperhide and lads there swear by the 6.5 creedmoor.

seems to be popular round with yanks... but dunno if it took off here properly, all the dealers i talked to are trying to talk me out of it and saying 308 is better option because its well known and cheaper. im sure it probably is good round... but my heart set on the 6.5 to be honest even if it is extra money.

For what it's worth, the 6.5x55 can be loaded to similar ballistics as the creedmoor due to the longer case, long action. It will also do pretty much everything you need in distance shooting / plinking unless you really start going beyond 1k.

Which also brings the question as to what ranges you intend to shoot at? What do you shoot currently?

Difference is with the 6.5x55 , you will always find factory ammunition for targets or hunting and you will have a better second hand market should you decide to sell in the future.

You might be able to import the ammo from the north for the creedmoor but you have no guarantee of availability and you might find it very difficult to get from time to time. Nothing worse than a rifle with no ammo.

Also, you mention a remington 700, are you buying a custom build in 6.5 creedmoor?

I was shooting decent groups around the 800 mark with the 270 but for whatever stupid reason i got rid of it last year and itching to get back into long range shooting so this time i want to take out to 1200. i like the idea of the 6.5 creedmoor but i suppose i would open to something else if you have any recommendations?

And yeh, Im looking to get the cheapest 700 i can get (think probably the sps) and then just keep adding parts, trigger, barrel, chassis etc

Just getting it hard to find a dealer that has any 6.5 creedmoors:(

I was shooting decent groups around the 800 mark with the 270 but for whatever stupid reason i got rid of it last year and itching to get back into long range shooting so this time i want to take out to 1200. i like the idea of the 6.5 creedmoor but i suppose i would open to something else if you have any recommendations?

And yeh, Im looking to get the cheapest 700 i can get (think probably the sps) and then just keep adding parts, trigger, barrel, chassis etc

Just getting it hard to find a dealer that has any 6.5 creedmoors:(

You probably will find it impossible to find a dealer with a factory remington in 6.5 creedmoor as I didn't think remington or most other factory rifles aren't chambered for it. I think the Ruger precision is available in 6.5 creedmoor but the rifle will probably be as hard to get as the ammo :)

Closest in short action is probably 260 rem, remington, tikka or most might do it.

Nothing wrong with the 6.5x55 as already said, it's a brilliant caliber and very capable and versatile.

• Advertisement

amadablam wrote: »
    You probably will find it impossible to find a dealer with a factory remington in 6.5 creedmoor as I didn't think remington or most other factory rifles aren't chambered for it. I think the Ruger precision is available in 6.5 creedmoor but the rifle will probably be as hard to get as the ammo :)

Closest in short action is probably 260 rem, remington, tikka or most might do it.

Nothing wrong with the 6.5x55 as already said, it's a brilliant caliber and very capable and versatile.

I dont really like that ruger. Looks very tactical. Maybe it would be handier to buy a cheap short action and have a gun smith rebarrel to the creedmoor. Do you think that would work?

To be honest I dont know much about the 6.5x55. But I do know a few dealers who have it in stock so thats a good plus. Might have a look at some youtube videos and see how it compares to the creedmoor. If the creedmoor fails I could fall back on that.

Just looking at prices for 6.5x55 ammo its about €50 a box. Thats not bad at all. Saving about tenner a box over the creedmoor.

Just looking at prices for 6.5x55 ammo its about €50 a box. Thats not bad at all. Saving about tenner a box over the creedmoor.

You will get lapua scenar bthp target ammo in 139 for €35-39 a box and hunting ammo from 20-50. Mild recoil, great ballistics. But it would need to be reloaded ammo to match the creedmoor or 6.5 short action variants.

The 260rem is also available but hard to get a good supply of ammunition, at least down south.

You could get a rifle action, custom barrel, etc. and build a rifle but when you mentioned that wanted to buy the cheapest remington possible, I didn't think going the custom route was what you wanted. If it is, there are plenty of good riflesmiths that will build you whatever you want, the way you want it.

More knowledgeable people than me will pitch in later, I am sure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭1jay1

One option would be to find a nice 6.5x55 and have it rechambered for 6.5 creedmoor. You could try 6.5x55 first and see how it meets your needs first too.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭ALANC81

Remington, Ruger, Weatherby and Savage have factory 6.5 creedmoors. I'm thinking strong about getting a Savage 16 weather warrior in 6.5 creedmoor myself just need to see about getting ammo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭ALANC81

Mick65cm would you be able to tell me who it is in the north that stocks 6.5 creedmoor ammo. My heart is set on one and if I can get the ammo I'm going to get one.
    PM me if you like.
    Thanks.

Advertisement