Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly tying lessons

• 29-01-2016 1:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭

Does anyone know where you can get fly tying lessons in or around the Midlands or maybe the west. Or do you think it's possible to teach yourself to tie.I've been thinking of getting into it for a while but I don't even know anyone who ties there own to get pointers off

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

bizidea wrote: »
    Does anyone know where you can get fly tying lessons in or around the Midlands or maybe the west. Or do you think it's possible to teach yourself to tie.I've been thinking of getting into it for a while but I don't even know anyone who ties there own to get pointers off

Have a look at Davie mcphail on YouTube, that should get you going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭bizidea

Thanks bogwoppit will do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

IMOP I think that getting someone, to teach you is better. I know David is very good but it is very good to get someone to do with, I've got some lessons on some flys from the fly fair in Galway last year, I don't think there's much fly tying instructors, if you find anything OP could you pm me?
    Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭slaneylad

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    Have a look at Davie mcphail on YouTube, that should get you going.

I learned from Davies videos they are very good. I only really tie salmon flies mostly tubes as I fish the slaney in spring. It's not a cheap hobby. You'll always want the latest materials.

Trout flies especially dries will test your patience.

Salmonfishingforum has a fly tying section with some expert tiers their step by step section is good.

Watching Davy is very informative you'll learn all the techniques from his videos.

When I first started making sure you leave enough space at the end of the fly and learning to not over dress your flies is the hardest part.

I'm kind of thinking myself it would be easier learning from someone else to start off with even just to get the basics then it would be all practice after that I'll let ye know if I find anywhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I'd have to echo that slaneylad. I'd say its just not cost effective to tie your own trout flies given the vast quantities of material needed. However if there are a few favourites on your local river its good to be able to tie those in sizes smaller than commercially available. Seatrout and salmon flies are a no brainer though. Very cheap material and easy to tie by and large. It's mad to buy them really. An hour at the vice could have a dozen teal blues tied.

You could try Peter o reilly he has done loads of books about fly tying and flies of Ireland, I looked up on the site and its 80e for 2 hour lesson fly tying. Which is ok, have you found anyone else OP?

Good luck.

Haven't found anyone that's close enough to me.where is peter oreilly based I'll have to look him up

bizidea wrote: »
    Haven't found anyone that's close enough to me.where is peter oreilly based I'll have to look him up

http://oreillyflyfishing.com That's his website, he's based in naven I'm pretty sure, tell us how you get on..

Cheers

Advertisement