Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iphone 5s relocking?

• 29-01-2016 2:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,160 ✭✭✭✭

i had a vodafone iphone 5s, got it unlocked via itunes (from an ebay seller)

worked perfectly with a 3 sim for 1 year.

sold it recently and the new buyer tried a virgin media sim and it says insert a valid sim with no pin lock

sounds like its a locked again is that right? and is it now locked to three??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Yes once you put a new sim into it, the phone locks to that provider.

Request the unlock code again from the original provider (not Three), I don't see why they can't unlock it a second time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,160 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Request the unlock code again from the original provider (not Three), I don't see why they can't unlock it a second time.

really :(

i got the code from ebay the first time as i had bought the phone on adverts, vodafone are unlikely to unlock the phone for me as i wasnt the original owner.

if i bought a vodafone unlock code again from ebay would that work or does it need to be a three one (three ones seem far more expensive)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Is the correct? I've used many different sims on unlocked iPhones and never encountered this. I even bought an unlock on eBay for a VF iPhone 6 and have used Meteor and 3 sims in it without any incident.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

No, once an iPhone is officially unlocked it should stay unlocked.

Some "SIM-free" iPhones sold by Carphone Warehouse lock to the network of the first SIM used to activate them, but once unlocked they should also remain unlocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

No, once an iPhone is officially unlocked it should stay unlocked.

Some "SIM-free" iPhones sold by Carphone Warehouse lock to the network of the first SIM used to activate them, but once unlocked they should also remain unlocked.

Not in my experience (or the OP's) I had a 4S from three and got it unlocked by three and gave it to my sister in law. She used it for a while on O2 and then bought a new phone and gave it to her mum who is with Meteor believing it would work as it had been unlocked but it wouldn't and the message 'please insert valid sim card' or something similar was showing. I requested the phone be unlocked again (with Three) and they finally agreed after a lot if to-ing and fro-ing by me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Never, ever had a phone re-lock from the 3s, through 4, 4s, 5, 5s. Should not re-lock at all, no matter which provider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Same as myself. I had 3GS, two 4's, a 5 and 5s. All unlocked by the network and never a problem with them locking again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

The phones don't relock. I've moved countries with an unlocked iPhone and never had problems changing network.

But when i put a sim in for the first time the phone looks for the sim unlock code. It's only when I've bought a new sim and that code is written on the card the sim comes in. I've only had to put that code in the first time. Could this be the problem the OP is having?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭jamesd

Never had a iphone relock and I manage 30 of them in work, we have swapped from 02 to Vf and tried 3 for a while and all on the same phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

They can relock from Three - plenty of cases in the Talk To forum. But most seemed to be be O2-then-Three phones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

The phones don't relock. I've moved countries with an unlocked iPhone and never had problems changing network.

But when i put a sim in for the first time the phone looks for the sim unlock code. It's only when I've bought a new sim and that code is written on the card the sim comes in. I've only had to put that code in the first time. Could this be the problem the OP is having?

I think you've hit the nail on the head about the pin. Afaik an iPhone won't activate if the sim installed has a pin.

Advertisement