Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tv Licence

Options
  • 29-01-2016 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭

We got a letter to our rented house the last day saying we need to declare if we have a tv or not and pay our tv licence if we do. We will probably end up paying however, the circumstances are unusual in that we live in one property (with one address) with two other apartments. As in, only one letter was sent by an post to our address indicating that we only need to pay for one licence between the three of us. Would this be correct? We spoke to the other two houses and they also haven't paid for a tv licence either so we are thinking of all chipping in just to get one licence.

I can't see how we would all need to pay for a licence considering we all have the same address and front door. But would an Post know that there are in fact 3 different apartments within the property? And if they do know, would we all need to buy separate licences?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 295 ✭✭mattaiuseire

If there are three separate flats in the one building then all three require a TV licence.

However as long as you don't let anyone in and don't give any details, they can't do much as they have the same rights as any other random person knocking on your door - i.e. none.

Morally the right thing to do is get a TV licence if you don't want any hassle. Cover yourself and the other flats in your house are not your responsibility.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

If your tv isnt visible from the road or front of the house dont pay,Its a hated charge that attempts to intimidate people in to paying,If you consider paying just think of Ryan tubridy's salary.

Mod note advocating non payment is not acceptable on this forum. A TV licence is a legal requirement with few specific exceptions.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Is the house legally split in to Apts? If not then it is an interesting one .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Is the house legally split in to Apts? If not then it is an interesting one .

I'm not even sure tbh, what constitutes legal separation of apartments within a property? From what I see, the problem for An Post charging for 3 different licenses, is that we all have the same address. How can they say that we all live in 3 different flats when we all have the same address? Normally in apartment blocks there would be a number or letter for each different apartment within the property, but this isn't this case with the property I am living in. It's word for the word the same address. I'd imagine that they determine whether or not someone has payed their licence by checking their address and that would explain why we only got one tv licence notice instead of 3 separate notices. The notice also didn't even specify the name of the tenant they were requesting the payment for the licence from. We have gotten onto our landlord about this but he is yet to respond to us afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Man11

If you don't subscribe to Irish tv you fo not have to pay . Freeview boxes are fine . If you have good internet Netflix and all that via laptop/tv is fine .

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭I own an applewatch

Man11 wrote: »
    If you don't subscribe to Irish tv you fo not have to pay . Freeview boxes are fine . If you have good internet Netflix and all that via laptop/tv is fine .

Technically you do if you have a tv, even if you don't use it for RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Sarn

No. If you have a device capable of receiving a television signal you need a licence. If you only have a laptop (without a TV receiver) and Netflix you don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Man11 please stop posting innacurate and misleading information

Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭J_A_F_A

FYI; if you do decide to get a licence get it at the start of the month. I recently purchased one. Noticed that it was dated from the start of the month. When I queried as to why it was not from date of purchase this was my answer:

"A licence under the Broadcasting Act 2009 will always be backdated to the last day of the previous month of purchase.
    It is valid for the month of purchase and the following eleven months, making it valid for twelve months."

So, in my case, I've paid for three weeks in which I did not have a TV.
    Not impressed :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

J_A_F_A wrote: »
    FYI; if you do decide to get a licence get it at the start of the month. I recently purchased one. Noticed that it was dated from the start of the month. When I queried as to why it was not from date of purchase this was my answer:

"A licence under the Broadcasting Act 2009 will always be backdated to the last day of the previous month of purchase.
    It is valid for the month of purchase and the following eleven months, making it valid for twelve months."

So, in my case, I've paid for three weeks in which I did not have a TV.
    Not impressed :mad:

Same as the car tax, last day of the month, it's back dated to first of the month.

I presume the house/apartments all have the same new Eircode, then it would only be classed as one place. You can also transfer your licence (:D) from your old address to your new this address, if it's within the 12mt of issue,
    must do mine now, it expires tomorrow, grrr:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Ha
    selous wrote: »
    Same as the car tax, last day of the month, it's back dated to first of the month.

I presume the house/apartments all have the same new Eircode, then it would only be classed as one place. You can also transfer your licence (:D) from your old address to your new this address, if it's within the 12mt of issue,
    must do mine now, it expires tomorrow, grrr:mad:

Thanks for that! I'll be sure to get it in early February when we do decide to get it. I'd agree with the fact that we are under the same address/eircode, that we should only get one license. I have no idea idea how an Post could tell if we were separate flats within the house. Can anyone shed some light on the information protection we have? Would they consult the prtb or a similar agency about wether or not there are more than one flats within a property? Would they already know from external sources?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 295 ✭✭mattaiuseire

FatRat wrote: »
    Ha

Thanks for that! I'll be sure to get it in early February when we do decide to get it. I'd agree with the fact that we are under the same address/eircode, that we should only get one license. I have no idea idea how an Post could tell if we were separate flats within the house. Can anyone shed some light on the information protection we have? Would they consult the prtb or a similar agency about wether or not there are more than one flats within a property? Would they already know from external sources?

Simple answer is they won't know unless previous tenants have had more than one licence in the past then there will be a record. It's beside the point anyway, as already stated earlier, having the licence is a legal requirement so all of the tenants should pay for their own if they use a TV, it's only fair.

It's unlikely they would contact prtb unless they had proof you were using a TV and not paying your licence fee. If they can't get into your flat then they can't get any proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Are they actually three different apartments or has the landlord just put up a few walls and says they're separate? Are there are shared living areas? Do you have separate electricity and gas meters for instance?

I was in a similar situation a couple of years ago. Three fully separate apartments at the one address, we just used the apartment number on the second line. Just checked there and there's one Eircode for the entire building.

The Broadcasting Act 2009 defines an apartment as "a self-contained residential unit in a building that comprises a number of such units;" and includes apartments in "specified place(s)" that must have a licence.

Advertisement