Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fence ownership

Options
  • 29-01-2016 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

Hello Folks. I hope this is the correct section.

One of the wooden fence panels of my garden felt down and it is not possible to fix. I would like to replace it and I am wondering if I can share the expenses with the neighbour or maybe he owns it in total.

Do you have any clues on this? Some supporting documentation to show to the neighbour would be great.

Thanks a million!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 295 ✭✭mattaiuseire

Speak to your neighbour first and see if they're willing to go halves before you pursue anything else further.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭pasquale83

Speak to your neighbour first and see if they're willing to go halves before you pursue anything else further.

Already done...they rised the ownership subject. They are tenants so they said they are going to talk to the landlord.

So your neighbour isn't the owner of the fence in any case, so you'll need to speak to their landlord and your own if you have one.

You can usually tell who owns the fence by checking which side the poles are on. If the poles are on your side it's yours.

So your neighbour isn't the owner of the fence in any case, so you'll need to speak to their landlord and your own if you have one.

You can usually tell who owns the fence by checking which side the poles are on. If the poles are on your side it's yours.

Yeah that would be the thing to do...but I need a map to check the borders! What I know is that the fences are facing the back to my garden.

You should be able to find a deed map if you own your property. Visit http://www.prai.ie/ to get started :)

• Advertisement

You should be able to find a deed map if you own your property. Visit http://www.prai.ie/ to get started :)

I'll have a look! cheers!

Good luck!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Sounds like the typical concrete post with timber panels fence.
    If so its shared. 50/50 with the Neighbour.

If the Neighbour is a landlord as him to contribute slightly a bit more and you'll let him get the fence with the receipt in his name and he can offset the full amount for repairs in his tax return.

I know I'd like that option as a landlord. So just depends if he is willing to play ball or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Is a wooden fence panel not in the region of €20/25? Would it not be a lot less hassle to just replace it?

Is a wooden fence panel not in the region of €20/25? Would it not be a lot less hassle to just replace it?

It is 44 euro and I am not able to fit it. So delivered and fitted is 104 euro. I need someone to fit it because the concrete poles are not vertical and there is a little bit more work to do due to some problems with the base of the fence (it is not flat)

Unfortunately the neighbour is not the owner (I am the owner). I talked to him and he said he is going to talk to the landlord. I would like to talk to the landlord myself but I don't know how to find his contacts (the tenant didn't want to provide his contact details).

My idea is to share 50/50 the expenses and I think it is a fair deal.

Next step is to ask the other neighbour if he knows who's the landlord.

I will keep you posted! Thanks for the suggestions you provided so far :)

• Advertisement

Just a quick update for you folks. I have followed up with the neighbour asking if he has heard something back from the landlord.

The guy very 'nicely' just told me to get lost.

I now need to find the owner contact but it is not easy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭D_D

Are you really going to track down this man for €52?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

D_D wrote: »

It's worth knowing the landlord if another cost arises or if the tenants cause trouble in the future (or possibly future tenants).

D_D wrote: »

It is not for money. It is for the attitude of this people. I don't like being told to get lost (and I am being nice here, don't want to use the specific words I have been told).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

pasquale83 wrote: »
    It is not for money. It is for the attitude of this people. I don't like being told to get lost (and I am being nice here, don't want to use the specific words I have been told).

Part of the problem is that tenants know the less the landlord is bothered by things from their rented home, the less interference from the landlord, especially with regard to rent increases and inspections.

It's worth following up with other neighbours to see if they have the details or ask the tenants and tell them you'll say to the landlord that you got it from another source besides them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

pasquale83 wrote: »

That's the tenants not the LL. Your going to spend all this time and effort to what end to maybe save a few quid.

Advertisement