Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - to an NFL expert

Options

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 39 Verified rep The42.ie: Steve

salmocab wrote: »
    could you explain in fairly easy terms how the regular season works in so far as who plays who and how its decided.

*Deep breath*

Well each team plays 16 games.

Six of those are against the other three teams in their division (three home, three road).

Four games (two home, two away) against another complete division in their conference. This division rotates every year.

Four games (two home, two away) against another complete division in the other conference. Again, this division rotates every year.

The final two games (one home, one away) comes against the team that finished in the same place (first, second, third or fourth) in the other two divisions in their conference that they've not already been scheduled to play.

*Exhale*

Why cant they change NFL to saturday? Kills me having to go to bed...

Few titans questions..

What do you think of the Titans hiring Mularkey and the GM Robinson?
    Where do you think the Titans focus on the draft and do you think there's a p[possibility on a trade back?

Because college football own Saturday and it's unlikely they'll ever give it back! ;)

I think the Titans took a terrible decision in Mularkey. Bad teams make bad decisions and continue to be bad unfortunately. Hard to see him lasting next season.

Robinson's appointment too can only be viewed in the light of what Ted Sundquist said after his interview for the job, that the owners don't think there's a problem with the team... and that's their biggest problem.

I don't think they trade back because it's the right thing to do. Joey Bosa doesn't fit their defence (at least on paper) and they'd be much better off trading back and addressing the offensive line and giving Mariota the protection he deserves.

All of which means they'll probably draft Bosa.

Agent J wrote: »
    What on earth is the pro bowl and should we care?

It's the worst game in all of professional sports and no, no you should not.

Hi Steve. Will the Seahawks be better or worse off if Lynch doesn't play for them again?

Sad to say, but he didn't look all that good this season and the fact that he's talking retirement makes me wonder if his heart is still in it.

I think everyone, neutrals included, will miss Beast Mode but Thomas Rawls played quite well until he got injured.

Who do you fancy for the Shamrock Bowl this year? Can you see anyone getting the better of the Trojans? And will it be another Belfast/Trinity affair?

I think the good people at NFL Ireland do a much better job than I could at previewing the IAFL to be honest but, from an outsiders point of view, it's very difficult to look past the Trojans. One game lost in four years is phenomenal.

Are Trinity missing Rob McDowel this year? That's massive if they are because he's a phenomenal player.

I think UCD, with a new coaching staff, may cause a shock or two this year too but I still think the Trojans will win it all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

Because college football own Saturday and it's unlikely they'll ever give it back! ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_Broadcasting_Act_of_1961

That should help explain it.

Hi Steve, A good a time as any, a few questions please for someone still picking this up, thanks.

Are there any Irish players in the NFL? i'm not too sure, but i could have sworn there's one from Monaghan?

As i know there's an english guy Menelik Watson@Oakland from watching NFL London.
    What are the statistics involved, as i briefly heard NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell mention 10yrs time? maybe some of the team in London+some in US? as that's a lot of airmiles when it does happen!

What's a good site & not too overwhelming to learn a bit more on the NFL as i watch the highlights also on the BBC on Tuesdays, as this is their 1st yr doin highlights & have more on screen info which is informative for anyone that doesn't know it.

I've been watching more & more NFL each year, afaik 1st Superbowl was the Packers in Superbowl XLV (2010)
    I can see why they call it Superbowl 50, as no fun calling it Superbowl L, but one thing's for sure it's gonna be one 'L' of a game btwn Panthers v Broncos
    But can anyone catch up with Cam Newton, especially when you see his Usain Bolt celebrations;)

Patrick Murray was the closest we've come in recent years to an Irish player in the NFL alright. His uncles played for Monaghan but he was released by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at the start of this season and hasn't played since.

Yeah, 2021 looks to be the year a London team will happen if it happens at all.

You could check out The42.ie (ADVERTISEMENT ALERT). I like to think we've a good mix of stuff for beginners and experts alike. Here's a good link to get you started http://www.the42.ie/nfl-2015-preview/news/?jrnl_af=1

They're going back to Roman numerals next year from what I remember though Super Bowl LI is a bit ****ty really isn't it?

adrian522 wrote: »
    What do you think of the college games taking place in Dublin? Do you think this is something that can happen regularly every year or every second year or is it something that will die out as the novelty wears out for Irish sports fans, especially with no college football on Irish TV?

I think if the teams are right, it's a great idea. I'm not sure Boston College v Georgia Tech can be sold the way a Notre Dame or even Penn State game can.

For it to succeed long-term, I think the organisers (whoever it is at the time) need to look at some of the big names and pitting them against smaller teams who will take the pay cheque.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

He Steven, thanks for doing this.

I think the PAT rule change has been universally regarded as a success, although Belichick might be regretting his support of the rule after last weekends events. My question is; are there any other rule changes you'd like to see implemented? Personally I'd like to see kick offs brought back to encourage returns although I understand the potential safety issues involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭jasonb

Hi Steve,

Thanks for taking the time to answer all these questions.

I'm a long time Broncos fan, my earliest memories of the sport were Elway making miracles to get us to the SB, and then staying up late on a school night watching them being spanked my whomever they met from the NFC.

Elway (and I!) got our glory years in the late 90s, but two years ago it was back to the old days, watching a Broncos team being pushed over in the SB, this time by Seattle. Hell, I even watched the game on Channel 4 again, just like the old days!

Anyhow, there's a question in all this. 2 years ago the Broncos had the best regular season Offense, but once they met a good Defence they were stuffed. This year, it's the other way around, and the Broncos have the best regular season Defence. Could this make a difference, or are we going to see SB 48 all over again?

Thanks...

J.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

*Deep breath*

Well each team plays 16 games.

Six of those are against the other three teams in their division (three home, three road).

Four games (two home, two away) against another complete division in their conference. This division rotates every year.

Four games (two home, two away) against another complete division in the other conference. Again, this division rotates every year.

The final two games (one home, one away) comes against the team that finished in the same place (first, second, third or fourth) in the other two divisions in their conference that they've not already been scheduled to play.

*Exhale*

Don't teams occasionally play a team from the other conference? [ie. Jets Giants a few years ago in second last regular season game].

How does that work?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

drkpower wrote: »
    Don't teams occasionally play a team from the other conference? [ie. Jets Giants a few years ago in second last regular season game].

How does that work?

Would that not be one of these games;

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Wizoom

Hi Steve,

Longtime reader, first time poster.

Let's get down to the tough questions:

Who wins in a fight? Dick LeBeau or Pete Carroll? And why. Also, Rivera and Kubiak, same question.

ALSO, Cam Newton and Superman. Same question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Wizoom wrote: »
    Hi Steve,

Who wins in a fight? Dick LeBeau or Pete Carroll? And why. Also, Rivera and Kubiak, same question.

Someone with the balls to ask the questions we all want answers to.

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    He Steven, thanks for doing this.

I think the PAT rule change has been universally regarded as a success, although Belichick might be regretting his support of the rule after last weekends events. My question is; are there any other rule changes you'd like to see implemented? Personally I'd like to see kick offs brought back to encourage returns although I understand the potential safety issues involved.

No hassle at all, delighted to be asked.

I'd like to see the PAT rule changed even more. Maybe bring in a 3-point conversion where you can get 3 by running/passing into the endzone from the 15/20 yard line or with a 50-yard FG. I like that because I think it would encourage more teams to go for two.

I'd obviously like the NFL to change the catch rule too. It's far too convoluted at the moment. They need to strip it right back and just make it control of the ball, two feet in bounds and leave it at that.

jasonb wrote: »
    Hi Steve,

Thanks for taking the time to answer all these questions.

I'm a long time Broncos fan, my earliest memories of the sport were Elway making miracles to get us to the SB, and then staying up late on a school night watching them being spanked my whomever they met from the NFC.

Elway (and I!) got our glory years in the late 90s, but two years ago it was back to the old days, watching a Broncos team being pushed over in the SB, this time by Seattle. Hell, I even watched the game on Channel 4 again, just like the old days!

Anyhow, there's a question in all this. 2 years ago the Broncos had the best regular season Offense, but once they met a good Defence they were stuffed. This year, it's the other way around, and the Broncos have the best regular season Defence. Could this make a difference, or are we going to see SB 48 all over again?

Thanks...

J.

Hey J,

The defence is definitely reason you guys got to the Super Bowl, they stepped up big time against the Steelers and Patriots too but I don't know if the gap between you and the Panthers D is as big as it was between you and the AFC teams. Likewise, I'm not sure it's as big as the gap between your D and the Seahawks two years ago.

I'm not saying it's impossible for Denver to win, of course it's not, I just think Panthers have too many weapons across O and D.

drkpower wrote: »

How does that work?

They do, they play four games against teams from a division in the other conference. So if the Giants play the Jets a year, they'll also play the Patriots, Dolphins and Bills.

Likewise the Jets would play the Cowboys, Eagles and Washington professional football team in the same season they'd play the Giants.

Wizoom wrote: »
    Hi Steve,

Hi Wizoom, I'm going to try answer this one without getting anyone sued. Notably me and the people in Boards.

Pete Carroll obviously wins the first match because he's clearly not human. I mean, he claims to be 64 but could easily pass for a man in his late 40s. What witchcraft is he using or did he turn into a vampire 15 years ago? I don't know the answer and the Seattle Seahawks press guy won't reply to my emails any more.

Riverboat obviously wins the second fight. Gary Kubiak is afraid of Peyton Manning and Ron Rivera is 65% scarier.

Superman obviously beats Cam in a fight for the same reason as Superman beats Batman. It's a multimillionaire in a uniform versus a guy who can lift entire buildings and fly around the world. Superman and it wouldn't even be close.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Is next year the year that Rod Streater finally breaks out?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Similar question: is next year the year that Aaron Hernandez finally breaks out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

What do you stand on the XFL? Where do you think it all went wrong? Do you think that they should have incorporated more wrestlers with backgrounds in Football (there are quite a few) and/or some steel chair interference by coaches and managers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭jasonb

Hey J,

The defence is definitely reason you guys got to the Super Bowl, they stepped up big time against the Steelers and Patriots too but I don't know if the gap between you and the Panthers D is as big as it was between you and the AFC teams. Likewise, I'm not sure it's as big as the gap between your D and the Seahawks two years ago.

I'm not saying it's impossible for Denver to win, of course it's not, I just think Panthers have too many weapons across O and D.

Yeah, thanks Steve, unfortunately I think you're right, I think it's going to be a long night... :(

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,469 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Hi Steve!

I watched American Football many years ago (when it was first televised in the UK and Ireland - Superowls 20 through about 28) and am getting back into it now after a spell out.

Can you recommend some websites for looking up the form/strengths/weaknesses of teams without having to wade through endless statistics?! Just who and what to watch out for next year kinda thing!

Many thanks!

P.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Hi Steve, who is your all time NFL hero and why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Hi,
    I lived in the USA for 1 year and I tried to get into football, for the game itself is exciting - but what I found frustrating
    is the lack of flow to the game, the constant interruptions, do you think the game would be better if it were allowed to flow more
    like Rugby ?

Oh man. I think at the age of 28 we can rule out a breakout season which is such a shame as my 'Start the Carr, hit the Streats' Super Bowl headline is likely to forever go unused.

I'll still draft Streater in ever single fantasy football draft I do though, just in case.

Similar question: is next year the year that Aaron Hernandez finally breaks out?

I'm not sure, but if he gets out, I think we know where the cops can start looking for his accomplice.

Cool_CM wrote: »
    What do you stand on the XFL? Where do you think it all went wrong? Do you think that they should have incorporated more wrestlers with backgrounds in Football (there are quite a few) and/or some steel chair interference by coaches and managers?

It was too gimmicky I think and, in the concussion era, I don't think you'd get away with stuff like the opening scramble for possession or no fair catches for punts, etc.

I do think there is an argument for the USFL to be brought back as a spring/summer league. I'm all for something that gives the guys who didn't quite make it in college another chance. Plus who wouldn't like more football?

Hi Steve!

I watched American Football many years ago (when it was first televised in the UK and Ireland - Superowls 20 through about 28) and am getting back into it now after a spell out.

Can you recommend some websites for looking up the form/strengths/weaknesses of teams without having to wade through endless statistics?! Just who and what to watch out for next year kinda thing!

Many thanks!

P.

Again, I like to think we do a good job of mixing up NFL novice and nerd coverage over on The42.ie but our Super Bowl coverage will extend over the space of a week rather than just one piece. I find the likes of ESPN and even the NFL website itself is grand for more general previews.

Hope that's of some help?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Also is there a serious ladies equivalent of the NFL? Is it professional and is it successful?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement