Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - to an NFL expert

Options

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 39 Verified rep The42.ie: Steve

Hi Steve, who is your all time NFL hero and why?

That's a great question and the answer is probably Al Davis.

He was the subject of a lot of jokes but he was a trailblazer too, appointing the first black head coach, one of the first head latino head coaches and he played his part in getting women involved in the upper echelons of management.

You'd be annoyed with what happened over Marcus Allen and Jon Gruden but I always felt he had the best interests of the Raiders at heart, even if it didn't always turn out that way.

His death moved me in a way I didn't expect too.

Hi,
    I lived in the USA for 1 year and I tried to get into football, for the game itself is exciting - but what I found frustrating
    is the lack of flow to the game, the constant interruptions, do you think the game would be better if it were allowed to flow more
    like Rugby ?

I get asked that a lot but no, I don't think so because then it would be just rugby with (bigger) pads on.

The game flows much more when you're there in person but it's not for everyone, I know that too.

Also is there a serious ladies equivalent of the NFL? Is it professional and is it successful?

The Independent Women's Football League is the only one I know of that's professional and doesn't require women to skip around in their jocks but there may be more.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Hi Steve,

Thanks for doing this.

Is there any good NFL Books out there to read that covers the behind the scenes on the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,359 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Again, I like to think we do a good job of mixing up NFL novice and nerd coverage over on The42.ie but our Super Bowl coverage will extend over the space of a week rather than just one piece. I find the likes of ESPN and even the NFL website itself is grand for more general previews.

Hope that's of some help?

No question, just saying thanks :D - will check them out!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Havent watched any football in about twenty years.Buffalo were my team back then. Scott Norwood broke my heart (along with the other 3 finals!!) Loved Thurman Thomas and Andre Reed. I see they've failed to qualify for a playoff since 99 !!! What happened? Where did it all go wrong? !!!! And is there any sign of them making it right?

Loughc wrote: »
    Hi Steve,

Thanks for doing this.

Is there any good NFL Books out there to read that covers the behind the scenes on the league.

There are LOADS. Start with these though:

That First Season -- John Eisenberg
    Blood, Sweat and Chalk -- Tim Layden
    Friday Night Lights -- Buzz Bissinger (though not really NFL, still great)
    Paper Lion -- George Plimpton
    Boys Will Be Boys -- Jeff Perlman
    Badasses -- Peter Richardson

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

There are LOADS. Start with these though:

That First Season -- John Eisenberg
    Blood, Sweat and Chalk -- Tim Layden
    Friday Night Lights -- Buzz Bissinger (though not really NFL, still great)
    Paper Lion -- George Plimpton
    Boys Will Be Boys -- Jeff Perlman
    Badasses -- Peter Richardson

Thanks! I'll get kindling! :)

I've read Friday Night Lights, great book and later movie and tv series :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

Who do you think has been the most influential player on Offense and Defense in the last 10 years to play the game?
    And when you hear "elite QB" who are the top 5 who come to mind currently playing? Eg Joe Flacco

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

It was too gimmicky I think and, in the concussion era, I don't think you'd get away with stuff like the opening scramble for possession or no fair catches for punts, etc.

Yeah, I'd say that that might also rule out steel chairs too.

Thanks for your answer!

• Advertisement

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Havent watched any football in about twenty years.Buffalo were my team back then. Scott Norwood broke my heart (along with the other 3 finals!!) Loved Thurman Thomas and Andre Reed. I see they've failed to qualify for a playoff since 99 !!! What happened? Where did it all go wrong? !!!! And is there any sign of them making it right?

It was a weird season for the Bills. They brought Rex Ryan, who is supposed to be this defensive genius and the defence took a step backwards if anything.

In Rex's defence, he had the balls to call in Tyrod Taylor at quarterback when everyone thought he was mad but TT did a decent job this year. It helps to have one of the league's best wide receivers in Sammy Watkins.

It's been a long time since they've made the post-season (longest in the league at 16 years, though the Raiders are not too far behind at 13) but they could come close next year if they can sort that D out.

PADRAIC.M wrote: »
    Who do you think has been the most influential player on Offense and Defense in the last 10 years to play the game?
    And when you hear "elite QB" who are the top 5 who come to mind currently playing? Eg Joe Flacco

Interesting question.

I think Rob Gronkowski has been the most influential player of offence because he has completely changed how the tight end position is played. Now TEs are expected to be able to block in the pass and run game, and catch the ball deep down the field. Before, you were kind of one of the three.

On defence, maybe someone like Aaron Donald. Because he is 'only' a shade over 6' and his arms are only 32" long, he slipped down the draft board and landed at #13 overall to the Rams when, as he's shown since, he'd have gone first overall if he was 3/4" taller and his arms were two inches longer. So I'd say him because I think NFL teams now realise that it's the skill level that makes the defensive lineman, not the measurables. I think players coming out of the draft over the next few years will have a lot to thank Donald for.

As for the elite QBs in the league, that's easy.

1) Tom Brady
    2) Aaron Rodgers
    3) Russell Wilson
    4) Cam Newton
    5) Carson Palmer
    =5) Ben Roethlisberger
    =5) Philip Rivers

There are a few on the tier below that, the likes of Flacco, Dalton, Carr, Romo, Luck but they've a ways to go yet.

I define elite as guys who are capable of winning their team Super Bowls, as opposed to playing on Super Bowl winning teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,871 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Interesting question.

I think Rob Gronkowski has been the most influential player of offence because he has completely changed how the tight end position is played. Now TEs are expected to be able to block in the pass and run game, and catch the ball deep down the field. Before, you were kind of one of the three.

On defence, maybe someone like Aaron Donald. Because he is 'only' a shade over 6' and his arms are only 32" long, he slipped down the draft board and landed at #13 overall to the Rams when, as he's shown since, he'd have gone first overall if he was 3/4" taller and his arms were two inches longer. So I'd say him because I think NFL teams now realise that it's the skill level that makes the defensive lineman, not the measurables. I think players coming out of the draft over the next few years will have a lot to thank Donald for.

As for the elite QBs in the league, that's easy.

1) Tom Brady
    2) Aaron Rodgers
    3) Russell Wilson
    4) Cam Newton
    5) Carson Palmer
    =5) Ben Roethlisberger
    =5) Philip Rivers

There are a few on the tier below that, the likes of Flacco, Dalton, Carr, Romo, Luck but they've a ways to go yet.

I define elite as guys who are capable of winning their team Super Bowls, as opposed to playing on Super Bowl winning teams.
    No Drew Brees?

No Drew Brees?

Total brainfart not to put him in the second tier there. I think his receivers did help him this season, from what I recall something like 50% of his total yardage came from yards after the catch, but he still deserved a shout for that.

Sorry about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,871 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Total brainfart not to put him in the second tier there. I think his receivers did help him this season, from what I recall something like 50% of his total yardage came from yards after the catch, but he still deserved a shout for that.

Sorry about that.

Fair enough, although I'd argue his record puts him ahead of Rivers and Palmer as well, neither of whom are capable of winning their teams a Super Bowl. Not too long ago any mention of current elite QBs would have always him in the same breath as Brady, Manning, and Rodgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

The game flows much more when you're there in person but it's not for everyone, I know that too.

Sorry I'd have to disagree with that. I went to see a game and the players spent a lot of time on the field just standing around waiting for the TV ad breaks to finish. You don't really notice these interruptions at home (probably because your too busy watching ads) but you definitely notice them more when at a game.

Anyway question: will Paul DePodesta have any success with the Browns?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,444 ✭✭✭irishgeo

How would you go about fixing the Cleveland Brown's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

You touched on it briefly in an earlier question and I'm interested to get your thoughts. I read an article by an ex-NFL doctor (no idea on name) about 2 years ago. He was saying in order to solve the concussion problem in NFL you have to remove the helmets and large pads. It will take a time of adjustment but his theory is players knowing they are wearing a helmet lead with their head a lot where as in rugby they lead with their arms/shoulders.

What's your thoughts on that? Personally I don't think the NFL would ever entertain the idea as even at a basic level there are two many parent and pressure groups that would veto that at HS and college level from a health and safety point of view.

Sorry I'd have to disagree with that. I went to see a game and the players spent a lot of time on the field just standing around waiting for the TV ad breaks to finish. You don't really notice these interruptions at home (probably because your too busy watching ads) but you definitely notice them more when at a game.

Anyway question: will Paul DePodesta have any success with the Browns?

Genuinely have to disagree with you. Any game I've been at has gone by much quicker than any I've watched on TV. Maybe it depends on who you're watching with, I don't know?

As for DePodesta, I think he's a shrewd signing and I'm intrigued as to how he'll work with an 'old-fashioned football guy' like Hue Jackson.

DePodesta is so associated with baseball and Moneyball that I think people forget he worked in football first. Right, it might have been the Canadian Football League but it was still football.

I don't envy the job he has to do in Cleveland, they're right up there with the Titans as the biggest organisational messes in the NFL but this appointment at least signals an acceptance that something has to change. It'll be interesting to see how it works out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Which of the Pro Football Hall of Fame Finalists should be elected to the HOF on Saturday?

Morten Andersen, Kicker -- 1982-1994 New Orleans Saints, 1995-2000, 2006-07 Atlanta Falcons, 2001 New York Giants, 2002-03 Kansas City Chiefs, 2004 Minnesota Vikings

Steve Atwater, Safety -- 1989-1998 Denver Broncos, 1999 New York Jets

Don Coryell, Coach -- 1973-77 St. Louis Cardinals, 1978-1986 San Diego Chargers

Terrell Davis, Running Back -- 1995-2001 Denver Broncos

Tony Dungy, Coach -- 1996-2001 Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 2002-08 Indianapolis Colts

Alan Faneca, Guard -- 1998-2007 Pittsburgh Steelers, 2008-09 New York Jets, 2010 Arizona Cardinals

Brett Favre, Quarterback -- 1991 Atlanta Falcons, 1992-2007 Green Bay Packers, 2008 New York Jets, 2009-2010 Minnesota Vikings

Kevin Greene, Linebacker/Defensive End -- 1985-1992 Los Angeles Rams, 1993-95 Pittsburgh Steelers, 1996, 1998-99 Carolina Panthers, 1997 San Francisco 49ers

Marvin Harrison, Wide Receiver -- 1996-2008 Indianapolis Colts

Joe Jacoby, Tackle -- 1981-1993 Washington Redskins

Edgerrin James, Running Back -- 1999-2005 Indianapolis Colts, 2006-08 Arizona Cardinals, 2009 Seattle Seahawks

John Lynch, Free Safety -- 1993-2003 Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 2004-07 Denver Broncos

Terrell Owens, Wide Receiver -- 1996-2003 San Francisco 49ers, 2004-05 Philadelphia Eagles, 2006-08 Dallas Cowboys, 2009 Buffalo Bills, 2010 Cincinnati Bengals

Orlando Pace, Tackle -- 1997-2008 St. Louis Rams, 2009 Chicago Bears

Kurt Warner, Quarterback -- 1998-2003 St. Louis Rams, 2004 New York Giants, 2005-09 Arizona Cardinals

Senior Finalists:

Ken Stabler, Quarterback -- 1970-1979 Oakland Raiders, 1980-1981 Houston Oilers, 1982-1984 New Orleans Saints

Dick Stanfel, Guard -- 1952-55 Detroit Lions, 1956-58 Washington Redskins

Contributor Finalist:

Edward DeBartolo, Jr., Owner -- 1977-2000 San Francisco 49ers

• Advertisement

irishgeo wrote: »
    How would you go about fixing the Cleveland Brown's?

Blow it up and start again?

Seriously though, it's going to be a slow rebuilding project. I think they'd be well-served to model themselves on what the Raiders have done and slowly build through the draft and some free agency. Given themselves a five year plan with the same coach/quarterback combo and build a line in front of them. They already have one of the best left tackles in the game in Joe Thomas so that's a fantastic place to start.

Building a pass rush through draft and free agency should be the step after that and then, in two/three years time, start looking at the skill positions on offence.

Again, pretty much exactly like how the Raiders have done it the last few years.

Hitting on a quarterback is obviously going to be key though. I don't think there's a great one going to hit free agency so it's about making the right draft pick.

You touched on it briefly in an earlier question and I'm interested to get your thoughts. I read an article by an ex-NFL doctor (no idea on name) about 2 years ago. He was saying in order to solve the concussion problem in NFL you have to remove the helmets and large pads. It will take a time of adjustment but his theory is players knowing they are wearing a helmet lead with their head a lot where as in rugby they lead with their arms/shoulders.

What's your thoughts on that? Personally I don't think the NFL would ever entertain the idea as even at a basic level there are two many parent and pressure groups that would veto that at HS and college level from a health and safety point of view.

I think that just because they need to do something, doesn't mean they will. However, can I see a day when football is played without helmet and pads? Absolutely. I'm not saying it has to be flag football, but if a guy is going in for a tackle without a helmet, he's much more likely to be protective of his head and make a proper 'form tackle'.

I think other more subtle rule changes could help first though. I wouldn't mind seeing holding allowed for ten yards after the line of scrimmage. I think that's a simple way to avoid those massive hits on 'defenceless' wide receivers as it encourages defenders to stay close rather than play soft and fly in with a big hit.

As mentioned, I'd like to see any and every hit to the head flagged if accidental and players thrown out of the game if it's deemed to be on purpose. Again, this might seem harsh but the reality is that something has to change.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Which of the Pro Football Hall of Fame Finalists should be elected to the HOF on Saturday?

Interesting question.

I think Brett Favre and Orlando Pace will almost certainly get in. Terrell Owens, Marvin Harrison, Kurt Warner, Edward DeBartolo, Jr, Kevin Greene and Ken Stabler should too.

After that, I'm not sure anyone else will get the support.

Who do you think yourself?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'm not sure, there seems to be an unwritten rule that one per position per year, which makes things difficult for Warner and Harrrison/TO for 2016.

As a 49er fan I'd love for Eddie D to get in, but that HOF committee seems to make some strange decisions at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Interesting question.

I think Brett Favre and Orlando Pace will almost certainly get in. Terrell Owens, Marvin Harrison, Kurt Warner, Edward DeBartolo, Jr, Kevin Greene and Ken Stabler should too.

After that, I'm not sure anyone else will get the support.

Who do you think yourself?

Mort !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Hi Steve, only able to reply now,
    Patrick Murray was the closest we've come in recent years to an Irish player in the NFL alright. His uncles played for Monaghan but he was released by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at the start of this season and hasn't played since.

I suppose that's the luck of the draw, i guess!

I knew i read somewhere, as would you count Tom Brady as close as that also:p
    “My father is 100 percent Irish. We took a trip over there together and visited some of the places where my family came from,” says Brady. “That was a great experience for me and obviously I am very proud of my Irish roots.”

Also plenty of Rodgers in my town, but i see you have to go back to 1835 Antrim for Aaron Rodgers :p
    Yeah, 2021 looks to be the year a London team will happen if it happens at all.
    It's a lot to think of, before it happens & will be talked at length every NFL London.
    Also when i think of it, i do remember from some teams know how to play better in the sun & some in the rain, notably the Seahawks, they'll not get homesick with our weather (rains 9mths!)
    You could check out The42.ie (ADVERTISEMENT ALERT). I like to think we've a good mix of stuff for beginners and experts alike. Here's a good link to get you started http://www.the42.ie/nfl-2015-preview/news/?jrnl_af=1
    Thanks, i don't know why i didnt see the sig, was staring me in the face all along:)

They're going back to Roman numerals next year from what I remember though Super Bowl LI is a bit ****ty really isn't it?[/QUOTE]

It is, no thought after the 50th!
    But wait til it gets to Super Bowl 54/LIV:rolleyes:

I briefly remember reading when Green Bay won it back then as well as Vince Lombardi once one of the coaches , they had also won Superbowl I + II although according to here
    although it wasn't called that then!
    As i read also there was an Irish bar next to the stadium, owned afaik by Supermac's owner, as he was trying to get a lot of attention heading up to the game when there was a Superbowl hosted there:rolleyes:, i don't know what year!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,674 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Hi Steve,

Keep up the good work at the 42! Where do you think Chargers and Raiders will play next year?

OK, down to business...

National Anthem length?

Coin Toss- Heads or Tails?

Gatorade shower colour?

Colour of Beyonce's footwear?

Who will the MVP thank first, God or teammates?

etc.

Hi Steve,

Keep up the good work at the 42! Where do you think Chargers and Raiders will play next year?

I think the Chargers have said they're going to stay in San Diego and I honestly don't know where the Raiders will end up.

San Antonio looks more likely than Vegas but then, would Jerry Jones and his pals allow another Texas team?

I'd, personally, like to see them stay in Oakland with a new stadium.

• Advertisement

adrian522 wrote: »
    OK, down to business...

National Anthem length?

Gatorade shower colour?

etc.

Right, well don't tell my boss because I'm supposed to be publishing an article on this very thing tomorrow!

But...

National Anthem length?
    Under 134.5. She's performed it publicly one time before and it came in at exactly 134 seconds and she was really milking it.

Tails never fails, etc

Gatorade shower colour?
    Orange. The Panthers had orange when they won the NFC title and the Broncos flew into San Francisco on an orange plane. It's science

Gold

MVP

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement