Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should LVG keep his job?

• 29-01-2016 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭

Man United fans, what are your thought's on LVG and should the board keep him in the job, or is the board more to blame?

Should Van Gaal be sacked? 81 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    58%
    BKtjeGibletPsychedelicKingp35fred funk }{NalzredzerdrogLord TSCwiz569adaminhocoolbeanslivinginkoreaDrumSteveDiabhal BeagDrexelx43r0GavRedKingniallo273hn2givr7mx1scLardy 47 votes
    Not Sure/Other
    41%
    Diddy KongHeadshotMr.Nice GuyRedorDeadgustafoInquitusJulezhomerjay2005Duck SoupdavyccRiesen_MealstesauruspapuIrishGrimReaperkillwill[Deleted User]finnoDrumpotSM01Washington Irving 34 votes

Comments

Are you asking if he's done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

No
    personally i think he's two defeats away from sack\walking

or the FA Cup game tonight should it not go his way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

No
    Poll should have been posted with the thread, but boards went AWOL on me again. Should be sorted soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

No
    Results and performance dictate that he should have been sacked months ago. By almost any metric you can think off he is doing a rubbish job that would have seen him gone long ago at any other club.

Manchester United currently have a shot on goal about once every two games, its almost an achievement to have ****ed things up that badly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No
    Poll added now :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Not Sure/Other
    The no vote will obviously be skewed by opposition fans voting to keep him so it's completely pointless adding a poll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

United fans will vote yes, non-United fans will vote no for the lols and we'll end up in a United-Liverpool debate largely focusing on which club is less sh1t atm [\thread]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

No
    The no vote will obviously be skewed by opposition fans voting to keep him so it's completely pointless adding a poll.
    Indeed, but at least it's public so we can see who the United fans are and who are not.

Not Sure/Other
    The answer is quite obviously no he shouldn't, it's a results business and he's not getting them over halfway through his second season but he may well see out the season due to who may be available then that isn't available now.

Not Sure/Other
    I'm after voting wrongly. The thread title and the poll title are the complete opposite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

His reign has been very disappointing.

The only reason he is still there must be that United are very keen to avoid another sacking and become "a sacking club"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

No
    I'm after voting wrongly. The thread title and the poll title are the complete opposite.

Yeah same here.

Keep him there,though I actually think the chap is a good manager.

They should have brought him in before Moyes oddly enough.

Not Sure/Other
    He should stay. Maybe even a contract extension!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Julez

Not Sure/Other
    Crap, I clicked 'No' by accident. I meant to say 'Yes'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭weisses

He should stay to the end of the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Not Sure/Other
    if opposition fans had his way, he would get a 5 year extension.

the poll is completely worthless.

Edit, i actually voted no, i meant yes - the title and vote is mixed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

No
    United fan here. He should have been sacked over a month ago. There is no sign of improvement whatsoever; in fact it's the opposite. I don't mind a defensive style of play (unlike what appears to be the outside perception of most United fans) when it's effective but we've been nothing short of shyte for months and he has no answers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

No
    the poll is completely worthless.

Not least because it couldn't have been better designed to obfuscate the question asked.

Not Sure/Other
    Get rid of the poll or change the thread title. It's a mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Not Sure/Other
    Not least because it couldn't have been better designed to obfuscate the question asked.

i just realised i answered it wrong. you can be sure that any opposition fan saying yes actually meant to say no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Very confusing question/title/poll, makes it difficult for me to give the trolling answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

No
    Lord TSC wrote: »
    Poll added now :)

MIght wanna change the name of the thread now that the poll question is the opposite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Other: Yes he should be sacked, but not until summer because Pep isn't available until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

No if United have a plan and are getting Guardiola.
    Yes if they have no plan.

It is impossible to answer this question, he should be gone by now, so there must be some reason why he isn't.

7 points off 2nd place, it is due to the play being so bad to watch that it looks even worse than it is. But the thought of watching United play under LVG makes me want a change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Not Sure/Other
    I think United have bought an awful lot of flops and rubbish. The likes of Rooney has seen his best days, De Gea will probably be gone in the summer when Madrid come back. Then you have to wonder would Depay, Darmain, Smalling, Scweinsteiger et al get within an asses roar of a regular spot at a top European club. I highly doubt it.
    So that's where United are at. A lot of money spent and struggling to stay in the top 4 in a poor EPL.
    I don't know how any new manager goes about sorting that and your probably looking at a 3 year project and spending a couple of £100 million every transfer window to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I agree it doesn't look pretty but people need to get perspective. United are 5th with a squad assembled relatively recently from all 4 corners of the planet. It's not like they're batlling relegation.

Media are a disgrace I have to side with him. A lot of fans should stay classy too. Expectations are unrealistic imo.

And getting a new manager and shipping 6 new players isn't going to improve things anyway. United need things to slow down and continuity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

With LFC hat on he should stay, with sensible football hat on he should go and be allowed to! The current 'neither here nor there' environment he and his players are inhabiting is ludicrous and inhibiting

Boskowski wrote: »
    I agree it doesn't look pretty but people need to get perspective. United are 5th with a squad assembled relatively recently from all 4 corners of the planet. It's not like they're batlling relegation.

Media are a disgrace I have to side with him. A lot of fans should stay classy too. Expectations are unrealistic imo.

And getting a new manager and shipping 6 new players isn't going to improve things anyway. United need things to slow down and continuity.

Ah come on, there's plenty of fans going over the edge, but there's always been plenty of mad people out there. But it's not surprising that unrest in general has been on the rise. The results are one thing, and I think you'd have a lot of people willing to stomach that if there was progress, but the play is quite another. The football has been boring, repetitive, ineffective, and there has been no sign of improvement over 18 months - they've gone backwards if anything. Couple the two, and it's completely justifiable that people want him out.

Expectations of one of the richest clubs in the world being comfortably in the top 4 and playing palatable football are not unrealistic. At all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

He should be sacked he has them.playing awful football with the resources he has. It was only a matter of time before the results turned as even earlier in the season they were creating very few chances per game. He also made a big mistake going with such a small squad considering they were back in Europe. They were always only a few injuries away from being in trouble .Ferguson was the master of keeping a big squad happy and giving the fringe players enough game time to keep them motivated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

If Mourinho is available and wants to join its a no brainer IMO. Despite the baggage that he brings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Not Sure/Other
    Stupid poll, clicked wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Ideally, Yes.

I say give him another 300m and a new contract to squash any rumours surrounding his job!
    If he does go, then ideally i'd like to see Giggs get the gig, that should finish them off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

With LFC hat on he should stay, with sensible football hat on he should go and be allowed to! The current 'neither here nor there' environment he and his players are inhabiting is ludicrous and inhibiting
    I'm with you; he should definitely be kept on as manager. He's doing a fantastic job.
    :D
    However; come next august, I think you might see a Portugese gentleman in the manager's seat there. I was going to add, especially if they miss out on the CL. But I think there may well be a change even if they finished in the top 4. The style of football is absolutely atrocious, and has led to LVG losing a large section of the fans. Once they turn against you, there's usually only one outcome.

Not Sure/Other
    brevity wrote: »
    If Mourinho is available and wants to join its a no brainer IMO. Despite the baggage that he brings.

Mourinho leaves a mess wherever he goes. I sort of came around to the idea of him coming in over Christmas but I'm back firmly in the no to Jose camp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Ah come on, there's plenty of fans going over the edge, but there's always been plenty of mad people out there. But it's not surprising that unrest in general has been on the rise. The results are one thing, and I think you'd have a lot of people willing to stomach that if there was progress, but the play is quite another. The football has been boring, repetitive, ineffective, and there has been no sign of improvement over 18 months - they've gone backwards if anything. Couple the two, and it's completely justifiable that people want him out.

Expectations of one of the richest clubs in the world being comfortably in the top 4 and playing palatable football are not unrealistic. At all.
    Excellent summation of events.

The only thing I'd add is the inexcusable decision to force Welbeck out of the club by bringing in a finished mercenary in Falcao. Even after that I was still willing to put my faith in Van Gaal, but that he has proved himself incapable of building a team or producing anyway decent football since then, makes it all the more deflating.

It's getting to the stage where I'd take Tim Sherwood till the end of the season. Yes, I said it.

• Advertisement

Not Sure/Other
    Canadel wrote: »

The only thing I'd add is the inexcusable decision to force Welbeck out of the club by bringing in a finished mercenary in Falcao. Even after that I was still willing to put my faith in Van Gaal, but that he has proved himself incapable of building a team or producing anyway decent football since then, makes it all the more deflating.

It's getting to the stage where I'd take Tim Sherwood till the end of the season. Yes, I said it.

Still banging that Welbeck drum? Hats off for the persistence anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

There seems to be no plan or idea at United these days other than getting the biggest name.

Really they need a coherent plan long before sacking or appointing someone. Why LVG? Was LVG a stop gap for Giggs? Why Giggs? Why Mourinho? Was there any plan for what happens if Van Gaal was to fail in the meantime? There doesn't appear to have been, they're drifting along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

No

Would ya feck off with the Wellbeck nonsense.

Yer as bad as bangkok and his Fellaini obsession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Not Sure/Other
    Bah, I clicked the wrong option. I meant to say no, he shouldn't keep his job.

I feel he will remain until the end of the season but I fear that will lead to United finishing outside the top four.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Behave. Things aren't that bad over at OT, surely?
    :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Thread title: Should LVG keep his job?
    Poll in thread:Should LVG be sacked?

Hmmmm.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Not Sure/Other
    Where's the Woodward thread? I'm more concerned with his performance then LVG.

Contrary to belief, managers don't just pick and choose most players they want to sign like in football manager. The club scouts players and picks out targets.

People love blaming Moyes and LVG for uniteds arrivals. Of course they agreed to them but that's not to say they were players they wanted. I'm not convinced moyes wanted mata and I'm not convinced LVG chose half the players bought under his tenure.

Put in any manager into United, what exact kind of football would people expect? Ok, it might be more entertaining then LVG but anymore successful? I'm not convinced.

The only thing consistent with the 300mil spent on transfers is Woodward and the glazers actually having to run things. Gill and Ferguson made their jobs easy.

My biggest fear is that the owners and by extension Woodward are simply out of their depth. They don't know how to run a football club outside of marketing and whoring it to anybody who will listen.

The main thing they have going for them is funds to buy their way out of trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

No
    I said yes just to confuse everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

No
    I fully support Louis van gaal in his position as manager of Manchester united football club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Didn't realise he was with United this long. Time flies, ugh. If anyone had asked me I would have said this is his first season from the start and this isn't his team really. Fair enough.

Still think the media are a bit like vultures though.

Boskowski wrote: »
    Didn't realise he was with United this long. Time flies, ugh. If anyone had asked me I would have said this is his first season from the start and this isn't his team really. Fair enough.

Still think the media are a bit like vultures though.

Just to put things in perspective, this is his 4th transfer window. He's signed 12 players of consequence and released 18, this is excluding youths or players who never got into the team. It's very much his team. ;)

Advertisement