Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election 2016 - Wicklow

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Cerco wrote: »
    He was quite impressive this evening when interviewed by Brian Dobson on six one, imho.

Yep - certainly comes across as a lot more intelligent than some of his close rivals.

I remember the local SF candidate getting very irate when I asked him what his level of education was...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

"zoobizoo wrote: »
    I remember the local SF candidate getting very irate when I asked him what his level of education was...

What was the answer?

What was the answer?

He said it was none of my business

zoobizoo wrote: »
    He said it was none of my business

also known as the: "Where are the bodies" answer.

He also didn't seem to be impressed when I asked him what he worked at... says on his literature that he's self employed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

zoobizoo wrote: »
    He also didn't seem to be impressed when I asked him what he worked at... says on his literature that he's self employed.

Most politicians are uneducated knuckle dragging opportunistic fools, that got into politics because it was handed down through their families, what's the point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Vote them out, by voting for someone who isn't an uneducated knuckle dragging opportunistic fool. Or a lying cute hoor.
    If you can find one.

They say somebody can be honest, intelligent, and a politician. But they can only be two out of those three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,466 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I did have time for Donnelly, but his whole being against narrowing the tax base regarding usc, whilst at the same time also proposing narrowing the tax base by getting rid of water charges is just more of the usual populist nonsense we get from those he's supposed to be different from.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I did have time for Donnelly, but his whole being against narrowing the tax base regarding usc, whilst at the same time also proposing narrowing the tax base by getting rid of water charges is just more of the usual populist nonsense we get from those he's supposed to be different from.

Ya see this is where they all fall down. That's why George Lee left politics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

recedite wrote: »
    He was big on "Yes" for marriage equality.
    (He's a great man for spotting in advance which way populism will swing)

He was and he wasn't. He got his office painted for it. He spoke at a public meeting for a yes. He didn't do any canvassing. Ferris, Harris, Doyle and Brady all did a lot of canvassing for it.

As I said before he is great on his own image.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

He was and he wasn't. He got his office painted for it. He spoke at a public meeting for a yes. He didn't do any canvassing. Ferris, Harris, Doyle and Brady all did a lot of canvassing for it.

Yeah, he's all about the image... :rolleyes: You're hardly worried he's going to retain his seat while Ferris is cast out into the wilderness, are you? Of all the Liebour seats at risk, her's is probably the most precarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

He was canvassing where I live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

some statistical modelling here: http://www.irishelectionstats.com/constituencies/wicklow/

TL,DR - Ferris and Timmins out, Brady and Casey in; not much between Timmins and Casey though. Statistical probability of Ferris holding her seat is 0% - maybe she should have distributed more sticks of rock :pac:

Article here on Timmins meeting the sheeple

loyatemu wrote: »
    some statistical modelling here: http://www.irishelectionstats.com/constituencies/wicklow/

TL,DR - Ferris and Timmins out, Brady and Casey in; not much between Timmins and Casey though. Statistical probability of Ferris holding her seat is 0% - maybe she should have distributed more sticks of rock :pac:

Article here on Timmins meeting the sheeple

That isn't using local polling though, is it?
    Just national poll averages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

That isn't using local polling though, is it?
    Just national poll averages.

If it was just doing that Donnelly wouldn't get a seat. The methodology is here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Timmins last time out was given Arklow to canvass that's where a lot of his votes came from
    Huge canvass of the area this time by casey,it looked like an almighty crowd of them in hi vis pat casey jackets working housing estates in the town even though hes from wicklow town , not a local councillor and unheard of really down here prior to last year

Donnelly went down a few pegs in my book alright with his populism and swing to the left,it just reeks opportunism and not genuine looking

I'm thinking Brady, Harris and Doyle and Donnelly
    The last seat either Casey,Ferris or Timmins
    It will be sad to see Ferris lose out
    One of the more fascinating constituencies, yet no tv news special on it (not counting Vincent Brownes, joe duffy with pictures affair) yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Cerco

Huge canvass of the area this time by casey,it looked like an almighty crowd of them in hi vis pat casey jackets working housing estates in the town even though hes from wicklow town , not a local councillor and unheard of really down here prior to last year

I thought he was from Glendalough area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Yea Casey is from Glendalough not Wicklow Town. He is on the Wicklow Municiple District board tho for fck knows what reason.

Someone or someone's people canvassed my door yesterday. They were making an awful unpleasant noisey racket outside. Intimidating like. But they fecked off before anyone got near the door!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Cerco wrote: »
    I thought he was from Glendalough area?

I meant of course the wicklow municipal area alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭listermint

BigMoose wrote: »
    As a Donnelly voter last time round, the SD angle bothers me as I dont know what it stands for. Granted I've made no effort to find out either, but doubt I'll be alone there! But he is great at PR and has done will in the media since being elected.
    That's what I thought 5 years ago....

His last 5 years spent as a 'no to everything' populist changed my mind.

Feel Free to ask them directly about their policies right here

http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1741

I mean its cool to go around the internet shouting bylines like 'populist' when the fact is the most popular party get the seats So that term has no real meaning. Its ludicrous.

But anyway that aside, if you are really engaged with politics then fire your questions over to them.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Feel Free to ask them directly about their policies right here

http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1741

I mean its cool to go around the internet shouting bylines like 'populist' when the fact is the most popular party get the seats So that term has no real meaning. Its ludicrous.

But anyway that aside, if you are really engaged with politics then fire your questions over to them.

Your post comes across as biased to Stephen Donnelly, tell me what has he done in since he was elected to the council? Other than pontificate about political things he can't change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Doesn't sound biased to me. Seems simply like he is pointing out that the Social Democrats have a new presence on boards and give you a public forum to ask them anything you want about their policies/ambitions etc

hdowney wrote: »
    Yea Casey is from Glendalough not Wicklow Town. He is on the Wicklow Municiple District board tho for fck knows what reason.

Because the Muncipal District covers that area. See the attached.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭downey2003

Lights at Clare Hall this morning, 2 lanes for straight ahead towards the M50, I'm in the left lane. Lights turn green, off I go. Driver in the right lane can't seem to find his accelerator, within seconds I'm 100 metres ahead of him (and I'm driving a 1.2L Getz, not a drag racer). Slow lorry ahead in left lane, so I decide to move out, put on the indicator, and suddenly Mr Slow Motion floors it to try and stop me. He's still way back and I have all the time in the world to safely move out. So he indulges in a bit of tailgating and then, once we're past the lorry, undertakes me. When we reach the lights at the Clonshaugh junction, same sh1t. I take off and he spends forever getting into gear and moving off like an arthritic snail on sleeping tablets. He was still miles back when I hit the M50, no doubt navigating all those dangerous roundabouts at 10kph in 2nd gear, terrified to hit the gas until there was a long straight stretch ahead.

Timmins last time out was given Arklow to canvass that's where a lot of his votes came from Huge canvass of the area this time by casey,it looked like an almighty crowd of them in hi vis pat casey jackets working housing estates in the town even though hes from wicklow town , not a local councillor and unheard of really down here prior to last year

Casey is NOT from Wicklow. He's base is glendalough. Ye can have him in arklow and welcome!

downey2003 wrote: »
    Casey is NOT from Wicklow. He's base is glendalough. Ye can have him in arklow and welcome!

He needs the strong FF vote from Arklow. Strongest FF vote in the county.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Your post comes across as biased to Stephen Donnelly, tell me what has he done in since he was elected to the council? Other than pontificate about political things he can't change.

Appears you don't want to ask the party directly. So you chose to give out to me for showing you their forum.

The forum where you can get answers to your questions.

Feels like youd prefer we stick to what we know and love... Thats worked out well for this country hasn't it.. Solid work good poster solid work.

Folks reminder to play the ball not the man.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Honestly!

The Fianna Fail candidate Jennifer Cuffe called to my door, told me she was from Charlesland. Is that not the case?

Honestly! wrote: »
    The Fianna Fail candidate Jennifer Cuffe called to my door, told me she was from Charlesland. Is that not the case?

She says she is but its hard to say for certain
    A She's a councillor for Killiney/Ballybrack
    B She often says she's living in the Bray/Greystones area
    C She only went on the register of electors since last week

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

Honestly! wrote: »

According to this article she lives there:
    http://www.thejournal.ie/canvass-with-jennifer-cuffe-2607291-Feb2016/

A recent move perhaps?

Advertisement