Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election 2016 - Wicklow

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

drake70 wrote: »
    According to this article she lives there:
    http://www.thejournal.ie/canvass-with-jennifer-cuffe-2607291-Feb2016/

A recent move perhaps?

The writer mustn't be a good researcher though to forget a town of 16000 people in the south of the county... And refer to Enniskerry as being in the wicklow mtns :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Canvassing on the Wicklow Way:confused::confused:
    Wonder how many votes she'll get from that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Read the comments undr the journal's article;"This is like a photo shoot for Irish Tatler, or Hello magazine. Hunter wellies and everything. All that’s missing is a fox hunt and a few Range Rovers." :)

These photos of Cuffe inside a Charlesland apartment, photos taken beside some true wickla culchies, and on some deserted part of the Wicklow Mountains mountains, all prove to me now that she is a true Wicklow woman, and not a Dun Laoghaire County Councillor as I previously assumed.
    BTW driving through Dun Laoghaire recently I noticed the lamp posts covered in pictures of blonde bimbos which I thought was Cuffe at first, but on closer inspection I saw they were different ones. I can kinda see why she isn't running there, that niche is well filled already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

recedite wrote: »
    "blonde bimbos"

Why would you call them bimbos and why would you assume that cuffe is one?

I don't know much about her but personal attacks like that do not add to the debate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

zoobizoo wrote: »
    Why would you call them bimbos and why would you assume that cuffe is one?

I don't know much about her but personal attacks like that do not add to the debate

Indeed.
    'Carpetbagger' is much more appropriate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

The writer mustn't be a good researcher though to forget a town of 16000 people in the south of the county... And refer to Enniskerry as being in the wicklow mtns :rolleyes:

I agree. This article(???) is just a fluff piece and seems to be designed to inform voters that she does indeed live in Wicklow. Or maybe staying in a friends apartment.

She is pictured with Pat Vance, the cobbler in Bray. It doesn't mention that he is a Fianna Fail councillor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

She didn't write the article... or take the photos... it's the Journal's piece. It;s light but it's not her doing the editing.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

How can Cuffe get away with saying she lives here if she lives in Dublin?!!
    For the purposes of getting elected to Dun Laoghaire Rathdown Co Co, she apparently lives in Cabinteely.
    Maybe its a case of "wherever I con a vote, that's my home".

Mean-Girls-She-Doesnt-Even-Go-Here-04.png

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

drake70 wrote: »
    According to this article she lives there:
    http://www.thejournal.ie/canvass-with-jennifer-cuffe-2607291-Feb2016/

A recent move perhaps?

I Assume she'll be resigning from her seat in Dun Laoghaire Council so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

Had Jennifer cuffe at the door on Sunday in the horse riding gear in west Wicklow, told her who I was voting for and she stormed off.

I was listening to Newstalk on the way to work this morning and Yeats thinks Brady will possibly top the poll, followed by Harris, then Donnelly, Labour will lose and timmins will have to fight for his seat. He wasn't to optimistic that Billy would keep his his seat as he's handed it to Harris, since he left FG.

Don't know what he said about FF, I was out of the car then.

• Advertisement

and timmins will have to fight for his seat. He wasn't to optimistic that Billy would keep his his seat as he's handed it to Harris, since he left FG.
    I think FG had too many candidates anyway, because since Harris became the golden boy, some of the old guard really had to move on.

But now I'm not so sure moving to Renua was a bad move for Timmins. On the RTE debate Lucinda was banging on about crime and how "life" imprisonment should mean life. The audience really liked the message and gave her a lot of applause. So, while it seemed originally Renua was just an anti-abortion party longing for a return to 1950's Ireland, maybe there is a niche for them after all. It is basically similar to the model of the Republican party in the USA, which captures 50% of the vote over there.

Also, there has been a swing to the right in almost every continental European election for the last year or two.

It will be quite interesting to see how Timmins and Donnelly do relative to each other and to their 2011 results. Compared to that election, Timmins has lurched to the right, while Donnelly has lurched to the left.

I think FG had too many candidates anyway, because since Harris became the golden boy, some of the old guard really had to move on.

But now I'm not so sure moving to Renua was a bad move for Timmins. On the RTE debate Lucinda was banging on about crime and how "life" imprisonment should mean life. The audience really liked the message and gave her a lot of applause. So, while it seemed originally Renua was just an anti-abortion party longing for a return to 1950's Ireland, maybe there is a niche for them after all. It is basically similar to the model of the Republican party in the USA, which captures 50% of the vote over there.

Also, there has been a swing to the right in almost every continental European election for the last year or two.

It will be quite interesting to see how Timmins and Donnelly do relative to each other and to their 2011 results. Compared to that election, Timmins has lurched to the right, while Donnelly has lurched to the left.

Yeah Donnelly has definitely gone centre right, the thing is, SF have gone centre left , they are more like FF since the last election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Yeah Donnelly has definitely gone centre right, the thing is, SF have gone centre left , they are more like FF since the last election.

Donnelly - centre right?

I think Donnelly will lose a good few 2011 voters who would have seen him in 2011 as right wing (He did come in on some sort of alliance with Shane Ross and Paul Somerville) but pick up a good few more.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

I received a Steven Matthews leaflet in the post today, along with some others. I realised I didn't know him as a candidate. I know he's based in Bray and seeing how I'm in the South of the county, I wouldn't know much about his work in the community and on the council but it struck me as odd that I had barely heard of him before today.

I hardly know the AAA/PBP candidates either but the Green Party being presumably a larger organistion I felt they've done a bad job making their candidate known. Unless he's focusing mainly on Bray and the surrounding area, which would make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Yea we got his leaflet, Stephen Donnellys, Charlie Keddy and Joe Behan.
    I don't know much about the green party candidate. I know he is on the coco. But yes that's it

Ivan Yates,who probably on the grapevine has access to FG internal polling reviewed Wicklow on newstalk yesterday
    He says Anne Ferris and Timmins will lose their seats
    Casey will gain a seat for FF

So its Brady and Donnelly to top the poll
    Then Harris Doyle and Casey for the other three seats.

Aenaes wrote: »
    I received a Steven Matthews leaflet in the post today, along with some others. I realised I didn't know him as a candidate. I know he's based in Bray and seeing how I'm in the South of the county, I wouldn't know much about his work in the community and on the council but it struck me as odd that I had barely heard of him before today.

I hardly know the AAA/PBP candidates either but the Green Party being presumably a larger organistion I felt they've done a bad job making their candidate known. Unless he's focusing mainly on Bray and the surrounding area, which would make sense.

I dont think the green party is bigger than PBP/AAA. I think Steve is concentrating on Nth Wicklow. He's a good guy and will definitely be in my high preferences. After seeing some of the absolute horrendous extreme right wing stuff from Renua Billy T will get my number 15.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I dont think the green party is bigger than PBP/AAA. I think Steve is concentrating on Nth Wicklow. He's a good guy and will definitely be in my high preferences. After seeing some of the absolute horrendous extreme right wing stuff from Renua Billy T will get my number 15.

Billy is better off getting your 'blank'.
    (In the statistically unlikely event that your vote remains in the system for so long)...

If you don't want anyone in at all, leave their box blank.

After seeing some of the absolute horrendous extreme right wing stuff from Renua Billy T will get my number 15.
    If you want to exclude any candidate you're better off giving a preference to all the others and none for the person you don't want elected, no matter how far down your list they are.
    Edit. Post above came in as I was typing.

(In the statistically unlikely event that your vote remains in the system for so long)...

I have always wondered why people vote for Billy, it always seems to be the GAA heads that vote for him or in the past, Roche. Plus people seem to have this devotion to him because of his father.

I was listening to Newstalk and there was one voter that always votes for Lucinda because she wrote her a note after she fell, that said "get well soon". Is our electorate this stupid, that a bloody card can win a vote? Feck the policies she sent me a card!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

I have always wondered why people vote for Billy!

Me neither....

I assume it's a 'rural/voted for your dad' thing.
    There may also be the niche of voters for whom fetuses matter more than anything else.
    Western dwellers may feel compelled to have someone from that side of the county, where representation is almost entirely focused from the Bray/Greystones conurbation.

The only canvasser I've had, to date at least, was yesterday for Timmins.
    He told me i should vote for him because "he's a really nice guy".

No he wont if there are 15 candidates and I mark him 15 he wont get my vote and he is not better off getting no vote off me. Thats a myth.

Terry Pratchet

Me neither....

I assume it's a 'rural/voted for your dad' thing.
    There may also be the niche of voters for whom fetuses matter more than anything else.
    Western dwellers may feel compelled to have someone from that side of the county, where representation is almost entirely focused from the Bray/Greystones conurbation.

This is the thing, I'm in west Wicklow 10 year's and Billy is the man up here, not so much in recent times, but for 8 of the years I've been living here, he was number one with a lot of my neighbours, couldn't do anything wrong.

Him and Roche on the council for years.

This is the thing, I'm in west Wicklow 10 year's and Billy is the man up here, not so much in recent times, but for 8 of the years I've been living here, he was number one with a lot of my neighbours, couldn't do anything wrong.

Him and Roche on the council for years.

It is a West Wicklow thing - Its how Godfrey T got elected in 1968 By Election - "elect a TD for West Wicklow"

By the way. It's the Dail not Council.

Terry Pratchet

It is a West Wicklow thing - Its how Godfrey T got elected in 1968 By Election - "elect a TD for West Wicklow"

By the way. It's the Dail not Council.

Was Billy not a on the council, regardless of TD status?

Was Billy not a on the council, regardless of TD status?

Not since 2003 when the Dual Mandate was outlawed. His Brother is an FG Cllr.

Terry Pratchet

Aenaes wrote: »
    His campaign is on a shoestring, and anyway the Greens are ideologically against street litter and junk mail which most campaign money seems to go towards. If you were pro-Green you'd just vote for him as the local party rep, without knowing much about the candidate personally. Which is what I usually do.
    However I pay more attention to where the transfer goes; I see my No.I preference as a temporary resting place for my vote while waiting to transfer to its real destination after the first count :)

His campaign is on a shoestring, and anyway the Greens are ideologically against street litter and junk mail which most campaign money seems to go towards. If you were pro-Green you'd just vote for him as the local party rep, without knowing much about the candidate personally. Which is what I usually do.
    However I pay more attention to where the transfer goes; I see my No.I preference as a temporary resting place for my vote while waiting to transfer to its real destination after the first count :)

Yeah I guess if you want to give your number 1 as a sympathy vote to someone like Charlie Keady that's a good strategic way to vote ;-)

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Yeah I guess if you want to give your number 1 as a sympathy vote to someone like Charlie Keady that's a good strategic way to vote ;-)

Unless 9 or 10000 people do that :eek:

Advertisement