Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TriAthy X

Options
  • 29-01-2016 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭

Did anyone else notice that "TriAthy X" is not turning up on the Triathlon Ireland race calendar?

I'm sure it's been on there every other year and I'm wondering if it's no longer a TI sanctioned race?

And if so, what are the insurance/licence implications?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

thejaguar wrote: »
    Did anyone else notice that "TriAthy X" is not turning up on the Triathlon Ireland race calendar?

I'm sure it's been on there every other year and I'm wondering if it's no longer a TI sanctioned race?

And if so, what are the insurance/licence implications?

Private insurance possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

After last year's event, I'm not at all surprised TI wouldn't want to sanction it.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Interesting e-mail from the organisers today, they appear to have addressed most of the major complaints from last year:

- Separate transition zones for each race
    - Earlier starts. Double Olympic 07.45, Olympic 09:15, Sprint 13:30, TriaTry 14:40
    - Finish area moved over the river. 400m finish on paved surface + space for spectators.
    - Promise to eliminate delays in receiving prize monies (money held in separate account administered by "stakeholders")

Doesn't fit in my schedule this year, but given the above changes I would give it a chance again. The closed roads for the bike would be the biggest plus for me.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭johnruns

zico10 wrote: »
    After last year's event, I'm not at all surprised TI wouldn't want to sanction it.

was thinking of doing this years event what happened last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Fiftyplus

Long delays in registration, delayed start to races, very poor stewarding, numerous other penny pinching practices. Just down the road from me but certainly won't be supporting it after last year's debacle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Fiftyplus wrote: »
    Long delays in registration, delayed start to races, very poor stewarding, numerous other penny pinching practices. Just down the road from me but certainly won't be supporting it after last year's debacle.

To be fair I wouldn't be this races biggest fan but for beginners it's ideal. A relatively calm swim. Closed roads for the bike and a flat run.

It looks as though they've addressed the issues with delayed start times and prize money. (The latter being enough to have them booted off the TI calender.:mad:)

However there's an awful lot of change taking place and the organisers didn't exactly have the last system down to a fine art, so it could end up being an entire cluster **** with confused athletes running here,there and everywhere.

Down the road from me also and I wouldn't jump at the opportunity to do it but if someone drops out and I'm offers a spot I'd do it.

On a side note the organisers do not engage with entrants at all. Think head in sand and that would be their response.

johnruns wrote: »
    was thinking of doing this years event what happened last year?

Registration took ages, because there were so few volunteers on hand to help out. The race is run entirely for profit, so I don't know how the organiser expected the good will of any local tri club.

All problems basically stemmed from the fact that far too many people were taking part in too many races.

The venue just wasn't capable of hosting four different races in one day. Before being allowed into transition, athletes doing the Sprint had to wait on the road with their bikes, as transition had to be cleared after the Olympic race that was on earlier that day. There were hundreds of people with their bicycles on the road, left standing for over half an hour. We were obstructing traffic, as there was literally nowhere we could go. It was an extremely dangerous situation and there were no guards or marshals on hand to deal with things. It got worse and worse as people and their bikes kept coming.

After this fiasco ended and we were eventually let into transition, TI officials, who were just there to fulfill their duties Triathlon Ireland, had to help with bike checks, just to speed things up. What sort of impression do you think that left on them?

It wasn't too bad for me, but a lot of people were left standing in their bare feet for over an hour before starting their race.

Lastly, the Category 1 athletes were supposed to start before anyone else. This was one of the conditions imposed by TI on any race organiser that wanted to host a race in the Super Series. Category 1 athletes might have been the first wave off in the Sprint, but the Super Sprint race started just before us and were out on the bike course at the same time as us. The Category 1 athletes were going at >40kph and had to pass much slower cyclists who were weaving across the road. It was another dangerous situation that shouldn't have happened.

There might have been more failings, but there the ones that really stand out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

The race is run entirely for profit, so I don't know how the organiser expected the good will of any local tri club.

are you saying ironman races dont work ?

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

peter kern wrote: »
    The race is run entirely for profit, so I don't know how the organiser expected the good will of any local tri club.

Were the Ironman Dublin 70.3 volunteers not 'paid' a sum which in the cases of Tri club members went to their club and also received a tshirt?

niallo32 wrote: »
    Were the Ironman Dublin 70.3 volunteers not 'paid' a sum which in the cases of Tri club members went to their club and also received a tshirt?

thats a common way and was also used for athy when the race was a decent race.
    I have no idea what they are doing those days. Iam just pointing out saying that a commercial race cant organize volunteers as it was implied is not correct.

• Advertisement

That's exactly what I'm saying, Peter. And I was being so subtle, I'm impressed you picked up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭thejaguar

I did the Olympic myself last year and as far as I was concerned it ran pretty smoothly.
    But now that I think about it - I do remember registration taking ages, and as we were leaving the queues for the later races were starting to build up on the roads.

I've often heard grumbling about "for profit" races - but I've always enjoyed TriAthy as a recreational racer so I don't have any problem with where the money goes.

That's exactly what I'm saying, Peter. And I was being so subtle, I'm impressed you picked up on it.

you could suggest that they have a personal buttler for the race week and race day for awa athletes.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

ASFAIK since the promoters acquired the race is has always been for profit. until last year there were always local volunteers from triclubs and other sporting clubs who were supposed to then get paid for their time. what i heard was that the payments were not forthcoming, i dont know any of this for fact, its just what i heard. This then lead to no triclubs marshalling the race last year and i dont think many other local clubs did either.

there is a trend on here to view for profit races as a bad or negative thing, i think these races give people an option and if its not for you then vote with your feet. i suspect the reality is that the level of profit from these races makes it quite a marginal enterprise, i certainly dont think the organisers would be making a fortune out of this race.

It will be interesting to see the arrangements this year with regard to marshalling etc

I did the double olympic last year and i had no difficulties, most likely because its the first race off and i know the course well so i had no need to look out for marshals for directions etc.

you could suggest that they have a personal buttler for the race week and race day for awa athletes.

I never once mentioned Ironman.

I never once mentioned Ironman.

Originally Posted by peter kern viewpost.gif
    zico10

That's exactly what I'm saying, Peter.

i guess iam confused

the current race organicer are part of the race from race 1 they just had another person in the team that sold his share.
    it was a for profit race from day 1.
    and i have ot say the first 2 years it was a top notch race ( in my mind the best field non drafting we have seen in southeren ireland )
    MD1983 wrote: »
    ASFAIK since the promoters acquired the race is has always been for profit. until last year there were always local volunteers from triclubs and other sporting clubs who were supposed to then get paid for their time. what i heard was that the payments were not forthcoming, i dont know any of this for fact, its just what i heard. This then lead to no triclubs marshalling the race last year and i dont think many other local clubs did either.

there is a trend on here to view for profit races as a bad or negative thing, i think these races give people an option and if its not for you then vote with your feet. i suspect the reality is that the level of profit from these races makes it quite a marginal enterprise, i certainly dont think the organisers would be making a fortune out of this race.

It will be interesting to see the arrangements this year with regard to marshalling etc

I did the double olympic last year and i had no difficulties, most likely because its the first race off and i know the course well so i had no need to look out for marshals for directions etc.

Originally Posted by peter kern viewpost.gif
    zico10

That's exactly what I'm saying, Peter.

i guess iam confused

That was sarcasm Peter.

I never mentioned Ironman in my original post, then you put forward the strawman argument saying I did.
    If you have a specific question you'd like me to answer, then ask. But please don't misquote me and accuse me of saying things I didn't.

Alright lads I think that's enough of the handbags. :)

On a lighter note it appears as though the Iron man brand is driving ahead with Dublin. Sun 14th August confirmed race date with regards opening this month.

That was sarcasm Peter.

I never mentioned Ironman in my original post, then you put forward the strawman argument saying I did.
    If you have a specific question you'd like me to answer, then ask. But please don't misquote me and accuse me of saying things I didn't.

zico 10

so my original question to you was do you think commercial races like ironman etc can not manage goodwill of volunteers ?
    I used ironman (like athy a commercial organicer) as history shows if done correctly it works quite well.

• Advertisement

so my original question to you was do you think commercial races like ironman etc can not manage goodwill of volunteers ?

This wasn't your original question. This was;

Your original question, after you misrepresented my statement, only made reference to Ironman. My original post only made reference to Tri-Athy, and no other commercial enterprise.

But I'll answer your new question anyway, no problem.

I've done one Challenge Family event and three Ironman events and all four of them were fantastically well supported races. These are the two biggest players when it comes to the business of triathlons, so of course commercial organisations can manage to run very successful races, while still relying on the goodwill of volunteers. For the record, I'm not sure how Ironman manage to persuade so many people to volunteer, but they must do something that makes people think it's worth their while helping out.

You say Tri-Athy has been a business from the outset. Well business or not, they had Trilogy and Belpark on board at one point. Whatever business decisions have been made since, obviously didn't succeed in retaining the help of either of these clubs. Based on how registration and the bike check worked at last year's event, I'd say the organiser thought he could manage without the help of any tri-club. There is nothing wrong with planning an event counting on the goodwill of the general public, but you need to do something to generate this good will in the first place. I get the impression, the company behind Tri-Athy did very little on this account, but put as much thought as they possibly could into how they could make money out of the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 TheKnockD15

They must have got sanctioned as the races are up on the TI website now.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭thejaguar

Saw that myself yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

4 transition areas, finish line area moved across the river.

Double start 7:25
    Olympic start 09:15
    Sprint start 13:30
    Try start 14:40

I believe the plan is that sprint/try can get into their transition areas and set up so not to be waiting for the main area that is normally used and turned around.

The finish line is taking a bridge before you'd normally finish and to finish at an old church where their will be a much larger area.

I hope to head over in the coming weeks to scope it all out at its a big change for me set up wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Sounds positive, it's a nice race that deserves to be represented fairly. Best of luck with anything you're trying to drive there CB.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

Do participants get finishers medal & tech tshirt?

niallo32 wrote: »
    Do participants get finishers medal & tech tshirt?

You get a t-shirt if you pay the extra with your entry pick up at registration. Don't forget as they won't send one out to you. No medal either but if you're doing it for a race pack DCT usually have the best race pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Stevo1983

It seems the transition issue that made a balls of last year has been sorted.
    I might head back down for the olympic.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

It was my first tri of the season last year and despite the shemozzle at the start, the actual race was enjoyable.

I'm assuming they'll have the organisation sorted his year so figure it's worth doing. Signed up for Olympic. Mrs is doing try a try.
    She minds the kids in the morning, I take over after my bit, kids get to watch heroes Mummy n Daddy flapping about!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

I have a site meeting coming up with the race director. Any questions about this years event just let me know.

Advertisement