Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TriAthy X

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭boysinblack

Anyone got their prize money off this lot....

'I wrote you but you still ain't calling
    I left my cell, my pager, and my home phone at the bottom
    I sent two letters back in autumn, you must not-a got 'em...'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Anyone got their prize money off this lot....

'I wrote you but you still ain't calling
    I left my cell, my pager, and my home phone at the bottom
    I sent two letters back in autumn, you must not-a got 'em...'

I wouldn't be holding out for it.

It usually takes about 12 months before they figure out how to open their piggy bank. :rolleyes:

iirc Tickets went on sale for this years event and prize money hadn't been paid for the previous years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

seems to be an annual problem with prize money from this race not being paid out. still cannot figure out why it is as popular as it is given the feedback (not just prize money) on it every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 checky88

Anyone else waiting on a sprint medal? Was told a few weeks back that they will arrange to post one out to the people who didnt receive one.Should i hold my breath on this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

checky88 wrote: »
    Anyone else waiting on a sprint medal? Was told a few weeks back that they will arrange to post one out to the people who didnt receive one.Should i hold my breath on this one?
    Also waiting...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Get used to the grey hair :)

Just received the below email
    Dear Sprint Finisher,

Just a note to keep you updated in relation to your Sprint medal. We have now received our supplemental medal order and are currently preparing them for individual dispatch to you!

All being well you should receive your well-earned Sprint Finisher’s medal by the end of next week.

Thanks one more for your understanding and patience while worked on resolving this. Hope to see you at the 11th TriAthy event on 3rd June 2017.

Yours in sport,

fletch wrote: »
    Just received the below email

:( didn't get anything like that myself

:( didn't get anything like that myself
    Did u get anything yet Fletch

Did u get anything yet Fletch
    yeh it arrived in the post yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭golfer555

Anyone doing this tomorow? Suprised more aren't talking about it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Surprised it's still selling out every year. Have the numbers they get dropped off? Don't know many doing it - usually there is a huge gang going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

In for the double oly in the morning. Everything sold out apparently. Oly and sprint have rolling starts so will be interesting to see how that works. Swore I would never return after the shambles two years ago but the date suits and it's a chance of a longish swim under race conditions....

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

EC1000 wrote: »
    In for the double oly in the morning. Everything sold out apparently. Oly and sprint have rolling starts so will be interesting to see how that works. Swore I would never return after the shambles two years ago but the date suits and it's a chance of a longish swim under race conditions....

Same here 2 years ago, but I'm a bit more careful so doing only Sprint - good luck all

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

My husband is doing the Olympic. First triathlon - first outdoor swim beyond recreational swims in the sea.

Prob too late to be asking and will be tomorrow before anyone replies :D but;
    I was under the impression you could track progress through the ankle strap but can't find any reference to it anywhere. Anybody have any clue? (Could have dreamed that one up!)

i would like to be there for when he finishes but trying to time it to be there while also keeping the toddler happy might be tough. Is it a buzzy enough atmosphere to pass an hour or so strolling around? Are shops etc still open?

Some races have systems where you can track during the race, most Irish tri's don't have that. I don't think Athy do (though they should given how much they charge for entry)

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

EC1000 wrote: »

I was doing the same. I really like the route and there's usually sound competitors, couple of bad points were that the water stations were a farce as was the bag drop, some stewards were lounging about rather than actually telling people which way they should go, the system of using the road for 2 directions of bike traffic along with runners is dangerous, I wouldn't be surprised if someone got hit by a bike. I wasn't aware you couldn't leave a bag in transition, I've always done so before, when I got there in T1, someone had emptied everything out of my bag and the bag was gone. I don't know why, the bag was neatly under my bike, the stuff that was emptied out was all over the place. Nobody knew where my bag was after the race, I eventually found it under a tree. Leaving it there was an honest mistake, seemed a bit ott and not very friendly, to dump it like that.

You're never allowed to leave a bag in transition.

You're never allowed to leave a bag in transition.

I wasn't aware. Why is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I wasn't aware. Why is that?

It's normally announced almost every 5 minutes before every race

It's not allowed for lots of reasons, your not allowed mark your spot in transition with snything and a bag can be seen to do this.

For littering reasons a bag can blow away.

For getting in the way of competitors

Taking up too much space on transtition...

• Advertisement

It's normally announced almost every 5 minutes before every race

It's not allowed for lots of reasons, your not allowed mark your spot in transition with snything and a bag can be seen to do this.

For littering reasons a bag can blow away.

For getting in the way of competitors

Taking up too much space on transtition...

Sure you have a specific spot in transition, assigned to you. Why is a bag an obstruction but a wetsuit, shoes, towel, food, drink etc are not?
    Seems a bit daft, my stuff was far tidier and less of an obstruction in the bag that out of it. It was a Adidas bag full of my gear, it wasn't going to blow anywhere.

It's more to do with marking your designated area and if they let one leave a bag everyone will do it and it won't be long before there will be shipping crates left in transition.

These are the rules and they're well known if ya don't like them then don't take part.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    It's more to do with marking your designated area and if they let one leave a bag everyone will do it and it won't be long before there will be shipping crates left in transition.

These are the rules and they're well known if ya don't like them then don't take part.

I've done several triathlons where people were allowed to leave bags and boxes. I left a bag at my bike at Tri-Athy last year. If I had been aware of the rule I wouldn't have left the bag there, dumping my stuff out on the ground, including the clothes I was to wear home, then discarding my bag under a tree was a ****ty thing to do. The bag was underneath my bike, causing absolutely no harm whereas the mess they left behind was an obstruction.

I've done several triathlons where people were allowed to leave bags and boxes. I left a bag at my bike at Tri-Athy last year. If I had been aware of the rule I wouldn't have left the bag there, dumping my stuff out on the ground, including the clothes I was to wear home, then discarding my bag under a tree was a ****ty thing to do. The bag was underneath my bike, causing absolutely no harm whereas the mess they left behind was an obstruction.

Again these are the rules its not Tri athy that enforce them its Triathlon Ireland that do. Their marshalls walk through transition after it's closed and remove any items that aren't allowed. I've seen flags balloons and all sorts removed.

Again these are the rules its not Tri athy that enforce them its Triathlon Ireland that do. Their marshalls walk through transition after it's closed and remove any items that aren't allowed. I've seen flags balloons and all sorts removed.

Well that's good to know, that at least it wasn't Tri-Athy personnel who did it, I was surprised thinking that they had done it, it's a really good-natured event. Removing flags and balloons is fair enough. Dumping my stuff is still a ****ty thing to do, bit of power can be a dangerous thing :rolleyes:

Well that's good to know, that at least it wasn't Tri-Athy personnel who did it, I was surprised thinking that they had done it, it's a really good-natured event. Removing flags and balloons is fair enough. Dumping my stuff is still a ****ty thing to do, bit of power can be a dangerous thing :rolleyes:

In their defence had you put your race shoes in there or something else critical to your race it would have been game over. Digging through your belongings would probably be best avoided.

In their defence had you put your race shoes in there or something else critical to your race it would have been game over. Digging through your belongings would probably be best avoided.

My runners were in there, they dumped the lot out on the grass in the transition area, between my bike and the next, the bag got dumped separately under a tree, over near the Portaloos.

Anyway, sure I'll know for next time and I'm glad it wasn't Tri-Athy that were responsible. I can still blame them for the water stations and bag drop though :D

I'm not sure how you've gotten away with it in previous triathlons. It's never allowed for bags or crates. 1000 bags/crates would be a huge obstruction...or they'd need far bigger spaces like ITU elite races to allow space for them.
    Should be in their race briefing, assume it was announced also...also in the FAQ section on their website.
    http://www.triathy.ie/index.php/faqs2017#faq_49

Assume your stuff was 'dumped' in a more good natured way than you think it was. They perhaps figured you had might have had stuff in the bag you needed for the race so left it all by your bike so you weren't left stranded. Just a guess.

End of the day, it's totally against the rules to leave a bag in transition so can't really complain. Baffles me tbh that you were not aware of this if you've done triathlons before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭munsterbear

Clearly states in the race briefing that only essential race items are permitted in transition and one large bag allowed in bag drop area. So would indicate you didn't read the race briefing.

Also clearly states that it is competitors responsibility to know the course. Saw so many athletes today stand up in transition like Meer cats and haven't a clue what way they should go and then be abusive to stewards for not guiding them. Again improper preparation from the athlete.

Also witnessed some people who clearly believed themselves to be more important than others and wanted access to transition while athletes were passing through. Including the woman aggressively saying she was nurse on call. Again, read the brief, prepare to collect your gear when it says and have respect for the athletes still on course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

No issues with other competitors here.

Pretty sure the PA woman was banging on about bags not allowed in transition in between the nagging about transition closing.

Didn't like the rolling start. Would rather do the adjustment to water, confirm the goggles not leaking etc off the clock.

Thought the bag drop was a disgrace at the end tbh. No security at all. And if you'd picked your exit, not sure you'd be checked for the right bike either.

Advertisement