Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol 2

14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Wasn't a huge fan of GoTG Vol 2 but thought Gunn's sacking was hugely unfair, so glad to see a resolution like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

kerplun k wrote: »
    Well, color me shocked.

This was Alan Horns statement back in July.

Soooo, whats changed? everyone knew it was a cluster f**k of a move from Disney back then, and nothing has changed since then. so I wonder whats caused the sudden change. I'd love to know the politics behind this one.

If I'm being honest, I'll admit that I am a bit disappointed, I was kinda looking forward to watching the drama around getting GOTG3 made without Gunn, and then watch it get absolutely slated. The knives were out for this one.

The thoughts of watching this billion dollar franchise go up in smoke was probably the deciding factor... Or maybe after the success of Captain Marvel, Feige pulled rank. I'd love to know what actually happened here.

Why would you be disappointed that something doesn't fail ?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Happy to hear about it. He got a raw deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Why would you be disappointed that something doesn't fail ?????

It was such a f**kwit move from Disney I was looking forward to seeing them sit in the totally unavoidable mess that they created for themselves.

That maybe so , but there are literally a **** tonne of people working on those movies that rely on them for there livelyhood no one tends to think about them , when throwing out such sweeping statements

Anyway glad he's back , he's movies although a big deviation from the comics are good fun and a distinct flavor

• Advertisement

That maybe so , but there are literally a **** tonne of people working on those movies that rely on them for there livelyhood no one tends to think about them , when throwing out such sweeping statements

What’s that got to do with anything?
    If the film was made without Gunn, I’m sure the same **** tonne of people would have worked on it regardless of the director, so I don’t see anything wrong with my sweeping statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Ah, so you're annoyed that the potential for this to be a car crash has been reduced, and have lost a bandwagon to jump upon, now off to be drinking your turnip juice.

I’m just pi**ed it happened in the first place, don’t get me wrong, I’m glad he’s back, common sense has prevailed, but I also think Disney are very fortunate that he agreed to come back,

This isn't aimed at you at all but there seems to be a certain kind of person out there now who is only mad for these to fail

The MCU is a phenomenal achievement that will never be surpassed many have tried and failed (universal, dc, legendary) or had minor success I just think it's gas that people will try and rag on something so successful.

I grew up in the early 90's watching the likes of Spiderman , X-men , Fanstastic Four and most of these are yet to be even integrated into this (i know its coming) so these films are like a dream to me and I hope they long continue.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I wouldn't call myself mad for the MCU to fail, but success isn't permanent and it's not outrageous to wonder, theorise what or where the franchise might finally wobble. Jumping onto controversies like the GotG mess might be cynical but it's fair game to wonder where the wheels might start to come off.

• Advertisement

Honestly, it wouldn't be too harmful for something as "woke" as a Gunn-less G3 to fail.
    Too much notice is given to a fanatical minority (on both sides of the political divide).

90% of people just want to get by. We don't need Trump style bluster becoming the political norm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

While I'm delighted Gunn is back, tiny bit of me is dissapointed that the Taika Waititi rumours didn’t come true. I'd have loved to have seen what he could have done with an ensemble piece.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ah now, the GotG3 kerfuffle was nothing to do with wokeness on Gunns part or the content of his films; it was a nearly-successful attempt by bad actors targetting "liberal" Hollywood via ancient, context absent tweets. GotG was never political to start with, but the alt right types decided the likes of Gunn (or Patton Oswalt, who was another high profile target) were sufficiently liberal enough for attacking.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Firing Gunn was certainly corporate wokeness on Disney's part, though, if perhaps a misjudged one given that the firestorm they presumedly anticipated over his tweets never really materialised to the extent that Cernovich et al hoped. But maybe it would have if Disney hadn't gotten out in front of it first or if Gunn had been judged insufficiently repentant in his response. Either way, their strategy of waiting 9 months for everyone to get bored of it before rehiring him suggests it was never about their supposed high moral standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Firing Gunn was certainly corporate wokeness on Disney's part, though, if perhaps a misjudged one given that the firestorm they presumedly anticipated over his tweets never really materialised to the extent that Cernovich et al hoped. But maybe it would have if Disney hadn't gotten out in front of it first or if Gunn had been judged insufficiently repentant in his response. Either way, their strategy of waiting 9 months for everyone to get bored of it before rehiring him suggests it was never about their supposed high moral standards.

Inclined to say real outrage was never gonna materialise. If I recall correctly, Gunn apologised years prior in relation to his remarks so they were pretty known but simply, people accepted he had grown up. Think Disney actually managed to annoy the more woke types that they were doing the bidding of far right types.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

flazio wrote: »
    While I'm delighted Gunn is back, tiny bit of me is dissapointed that the Taika Waititi rumours didn’t come true. I'd have loved to have seen what he could have done with an ensemble piece.

I’m merely speculating here, but I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Waititi wanted absolutely nothing to do with it. The project was toxic given the badwill generated by Gunn’s firing, and as a pretty outspoken liberal himself I’d reckon Waititi was not on Disney’s side in the dispute. Having to deal with a dissatisfied cast would be no director’s idea of a good time, let alone the bad PR of taking the gig. Going by some of the reports, Disney weren’t even actively looking for a replacement given all of that.

Again, mere speculation. But I’d have been genuinely taken aback if Waititi took the job given the context.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

So James Woods got his proverbials in a knot over Disney re-hiring James Gunn. Even though the 2 situations were completely different from one another.

https://twitter.com/RealJamesWoods/status/1106633946874302464

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

With all due respect to his good work in Videodrome and the like, James Woods is very much full of ****. He’s just another right-wing reactionary spouting hateful ****e on Twitter these days. Well worth ignoring.

Got to chuckle at how many of his recent acting gigs are voice roles in Kingdom Hearts :pac:

I’m merely speculating here, but I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Waititi wanted absolutely nothing to do with it. The project was toxic.......

Yeah. It was a poison chalice. Realistically the only options they had was hiring some puppet director to do it, rehire Gunn or abandon it altogether.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Ah now, the GotG3 kerfuffle was nothing to do with wokeness on Gunns part or the content of his films; it was a nearly-successful attempt by bad actors targetting "liberal" Hollywood via ancient, context absent tweets. GotG was never political to start with, but the alt right types decided the likes of Gunn (or Patton Oswalt, who was another high profile target) were sufficiently liberal enough for attacking.

I'm referring to Disney's (and general corporate cowardice) reaction to the incident.
    They knew his history, he had addressed the tweets previously, they did not review the situation, they just acted.
    Now it just so happened that the mega-right were the cause of this but Disney didn't bother checking, they just capitulated to appear "woke" to their target audience.

These had nothing in comparison to Roseanne's current comments/beliefs, they were intentionally controversial (yeah he was an arsehole) jokes, not beliefs, but Disney did not bother to differentiate just acted then refused to admit that they acted prematurely (until now)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I was reading about Stallone's character, Starhawk... and it is utterly insane..

Stakar was fated to eventually re-inhabit his infant body, reliving his life over countless times. Because of the knowledge of things to come, he manipulated events to affect what he felt would be the best outcome, referring to himself as "One Who Knows". He made many enemies in doing so, but his tampering and guidance also led to the formation of the Guardians of the Galaxy in the 31st Century.

Powers and Abilities

The true extent of Starhawk's powers is unknown, but they are said to be immense in nature. He has an incredibly long lifespan, possibly inherited from his mother or due to his empowerment by the Hawk God.

Starhawk can manipulate light to create concussive force blasts of photonic energy, heat, and solid-light constructs. He can also fly at the speed of light by tapping anti-gravitons, and survive in the vacuum of space. By tapping into Aleta's powers (when merged with her), he can also generate solid constructs of light; it is unknown if he can do so since their separation. His natural senses, especially eyesight, are enhanced to a superhuman degree; in addition, his powers give him extrasensory sensitivity to energy patterns and fluctuations in his environment, and he can track energy trails across intergalactic distances.

He has superhuman strength and durability, and he can enhance these further by reinforcing his body with light energy; on one occasion, he was able to engage in hand-to-hand combat with the thunder god Thor. He has an immunity to most known diseases and radiation sickness.

He seemingly has precognition, designating himself as "One-Who-Knows", but this is actually an effect of remembering what happened in his previous life cycle. However, due to Starhawk's efforts to change events for the better in each cycle, as well as the manipulations of beings with greater understanding of the universe (such as Mephisto), these memories can become unreliable; the overall thrust of events may be the same, but vital details might differ from his previous incarnation.

mental..

Advertisement