Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

All of the principle GOTG cast signed a (supposedly) 6 picture deal from the start. So fat chance he gets released from his contract after just completing 3.
    Natalie Portman tried to do the same when Patty Jenkins was shown the door on Thor Dark World.

No douth if he quits under contract Disney will bankrupt him in court just because.

Im not siding with Disney here obviously, but that just what is going to happen.

That supposed 6 film deal would be almost finished now, Guardians trilogy, Avengers 3 & 4, not sure about the 6th film as Gunn (before this whole ****storm over his decade old tweets came to the surface) had planned on ending Guardians after 3 films, which he said himself to Entertainment Weekly back in April 2017.
    I think really that the three movies work together as a whole, they’re going to tell one story. This is the story of this iteration of the Guardians of the Galaxy, and we’re going to get to know the characters even better in the same way we got to know them much better in this film than the first one. I wouldn’t have said yes if I didn’t have a fairly clear idea of where we were going and what we were going to do. I’m not a guy that’s just going to do it if I don’t have a vision for it. So, I’m very excited.

http://ew.com/movies/2017/04/20/james-gunn-guardians-of-the-galaxy-3-trilogy/?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

So I'd say Batista once his contract is finished, he'll walk away from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    That supposed 6 film deal would be almost finished now, Guardians trilogy, Avengers 3 & 4, not sure about the 6th film as Gunn (before this whole ****storm over his decade old tweets came to the surface) had planned on ending Guardians after 3 films, which he said himself to Entertainment Weekly back in April 2017.

http://ew.com/movies/2017/04/20/james-gunn-guardians-of-the-galaxy-3-trilogy/?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

So I'd say Batista once his contract is finished, he'll walk away from it.
    No doubt he could leave after the contract is up, but as long as it includes Gaurdians 3 then he aint going anywhere, Gunn script or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Wonder if using Gunn's script with a new director might be the best compromise/outcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,729 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Bautista is certainly taking things to a new level here. Kind of nice to see the big lump make a stand on this. :D

Personally, I couldn't give a toss whether there's another 'Guardians of the Galaxy' film or not. The last two were far too twee and silly for me and the whole MCU is just tiresome. But, Disney need a few slaps. They're getting way too big for their already outsized britches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭kerplun k

All of the principle GOTG cast signed a (supposedly) 6 picture deal from the start. So fat chance he gets released from his contract after just completing 3.
    Natalie Portman tried to do the same when Patty Jenkins was shown the door on Thor Dark World.

No douth if he quits under contract Disney will bankrupt him in court just because.

Im not siding with Disney here obviously, but thats just what is going to happen.

Yep, I’m pretty sure the contract is ironclad, but the question is, do Disney really want an actor to star in a movie he’s publicly stated he doesn’t want to be in? There’s only one outcome here. Rehire Gunn or no more GOTG films. At least with the original guardians anyway.

It’s a spectacular OG from Disney. Well done guys, you just successfully blew a 1 billion dollar movie franchise to appease a bunch of Alt-right chumps... Hilarious.

It’s kinda funny, because Bautista is behaving exactly how I would expect Drax to react in a fictional GOTG movie with a similar premise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,240 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Yeah the issue is a situation forcing unhappy cast to make a movie they dont want to do for a director they dont want to work for. The movie would probably be made due to the contract but it'd be utterly phoned in.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Yeah the issue is a situation forcing unhappy cast to make a movie they dont want to do for a director they dont want to work for. The movie would probably be made due to the contract but it'd be utterly phoned in.

Yep. If Disney push ahead, that’s exactly how I see it playing out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Fair play to Bautista - in a world where it seems like creatives operating at that level are generally discouraged from speaking out of line (it at least feels that way), to see somebody being legitimately, consistently outspoken and principled over a cynical corporate decision is a welcome change. Given Bautista himself is probably the least 'bankable' of the core Guardians and therefore has potentially the most to lose for speaking out - and with no equivocating language (although in fairness to Pratt, Saldana et al, their additional personalised comments were less ambiguous than the carefully-worded joint statemet) - it's especially admirable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, fair play to Bautista for having the balls to say it. Although to be clear, he is not threatening to walk out on his contract, just that he may "ask" to be released from it.

Mostly this is a big PR headache for Disney. And the problem is they can't deal with Bautista without provoking the rest of the cast. And if they rehire Gunn they face a backlash from the deranged radlibs on social media who don't feel the loyalty to Gunn that liberals feel.

Disney is between a rock and hard place. They really didn't think this through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Yeah, fair play to Bautista for having the balls to say it. Although to be clear, he is not threatening to walk out on his contract, just that he may "ask" to be released from it.

Mostly this is a big PR headache for Disney. And the problem is they can't deal with Bautista without provoking the rest of the cast. And if they rehire Gunn they face a backlash from the deranged radlibs on social media who don't feel the loyalty to Gunn that liberals feel.

Disney is between a rock and hard place. They really didn't think this through.

Wasn't it supposedly Perlmutter who fired him?

Maybe they'd just be happy to be rid of him and blame the whole thing on him?

Course, he'd hardly go quietly into the night either. He sounds like a bit of a weapon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

No it was a guy called Alan horn and apparently iger is going to have a meeting about it when he returns from vacation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

Disney could save some face by using the script but getting in a director that would hold sway both with the actors and the fans.

Maybe the guy who directed Paddington 2 - Paul King? According to his Wikipedia entry, he is earmarked for Disney's Pinocchio so he is known to them. He also directed The Mighty Boosh so would be more than OK with the weird and wonderful world of GotG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Bautista hates Disney as much as Tarantino now. I can see what his 10th film will be now....Dave and Quentin go on a 3 hour revenge mission to shoot anyone associated with Disney dead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

I don't think any of this will have a major affect. I don't think the general audience cares a whole lot so it won't affect the box office in any way and with it being a Disney Marvel film it won't be a bad movie, it'll be much the same as the rest of them.

The cast will do what they're told. They are largely nobodies with very little sway, Chris Pratt will value his career more than he values James Gunn ultimately. I'd be a lot more interested in this saga if someone like Brad Pitt or Leonardo DiCaprio (I know they wouldn't be interested in a movie like this anyway) was in this and threw their support behind Gunn, we might see Disney sweat a bit then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Dave owes a lot to Gunn so it really is heartening to see him show such loyalty. I honestly don't think he gives a **** tbh about playing games (I always got that vibe from him) and he would happily walk back into wrestling to open arms if his acting career did get blackballed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,108 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

There caught by the balls a bit

If Batista was to leave than the drax character would be dead in the weather as another actor could simply not just slot in after 4 movies. It worked for the hulk but that was only after one movie and the movie/story itself is not really memorial

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

So, there's a chance they'll still use Gunn's script.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Starting to look like maybe they will try to extinguish this by hiring Gunn for some other Disney project.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,007 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Possible Reprieve On James Gunn & ‘Guardians’ As Marvel Back Channels With Disney?
    EXCLUSIVE: Might there be a glimmer of hope for change of heart in the quick banishment of Guardians of the Galaxy director James Gunn from the Magic Kingdom? Nobody is talking about it, but sources said that back channel conversations are taking place between Marvel Studios and Disney. Sources said the Marvel contingent is trying to persuade Disney to explore a compromise that might bring Gunn back into the fold for Guardians 3, something that clearly would be best for the franchise. There is no clash or strong arming here. I’m told it’s a discussion that comes in the wake of the whole cast declaring their loyalty to Gunn, whose abrupt exit has put a thriving film franchise in a rocky place. One would have to label this 11th hour approach to be a long shot, but the community is talking about it.

On Disney Vision: "We Won't Be Getting Into Any...
    Gunn’s regrettable Tweets offered indefensible comments on spectacularly serious subjects like pedophilia and rape, written as long as a decade ago. They were collected and published by The Daily Caller, One America News Network correspondent Jack Posobiec and right wing commentator Mike Cernovich, apparently after Gunn mocked conservative pundit Ben Shapiro. Initial reports encouraged readers to complain to Disney, and the studio responded quickly and decisively to complete a stunning take down: “The offensive attitudes and statements discovered on James’ Twitter feed are indefensible and inconsistent with our studio’s values, and we have severed our business relationship with him,” said Alan Horn, Walt Disney Studios chairman.

It would not be surprising that Marvel Studios’ Kevin Feige would make one last try at rapprochement. Disney’s quick guillotine contrasted dramatically to CBS’s handling of the Les Moonves controversy. Though his problems are self-inflicted, Gunn was banished for an incredibly poor choice of words; Moonves continues to run CBS, pending an investigation into allegations of serious sexual harassment bordering on sexual assault. Anyone at Disney would be hard pressed to say the quick hook has benefited the Guardians franchise. The entire cast unanimously wants Gunn back, even as they acknowledge he was an idiot, at a time he was graduating from the Troma schlock horror factory and attempting to be some kind of satirical provocateur. Gunn remains eminently hire-able and a studio chief told me recently he’s eager to give him a picture once Gunn is free of Disney.

Disney and Marvel want to move forward quickly with the next Guardians installment, and one of the reasons the Chris Pratt-starrer Cowboy Ninja Viking stalled at Universal this week was because the film was undergoing rewrites too close to start of production — a recipe for problems — and it was clear Pratt was on a tight timeline because he has to suit up to play Starlord. Gunn has written a script and Dave Bautista has gone as far as declaring he won’t want to reprise his Drax character unless Marvel uses Gunn’s version. All of this has created acrimony and destabilized a crowd pleasing franchise that grossed a collective $1.6 billion worldwide, with the sequel earning more than the original.

In this white-hot moment, there seems to be a new controversy each day for corporate leaders to navigate. It seems clear what is best for a film franchise that will become damaged goods for the next director. Some have posited that the precocious Thor: Ragnarok‘s Taika Waititi as a perfect fit, but what principled filmmaker will feel good about taking over in such circumstances?

Can even as mighty and as family friendly a corporation as Disney consider being changeable here? Stay tuned.

https://deadline.com/2018/08/james-gunn-guardians-of-the-galaxy-marvel-studios-disney-eleventh-hour-save-attempt-1202443199/

• Advertisement

According to Variety, Gunn is definitely not returning. Disney had a courtesy meeting with him in which he asked for a second chance. Disney (Alan Horn) said no.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/james-gunn-guardians-of-the-galaxy-disney-firing-1202907016/

Don't feel too sorry for Gunn though. The payout is expected to be as high as $10 million. And the other studios are lining up to work with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

I do find the whole thing quite humorous in a way.... This is Marvel's first experience of what I like to call getting WB'ed.

Disney have set a precedent here where they'll have to be consistent in the punishment... Which may cause chaos with Marvel's patented long term planning.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,565 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

And hello, hiatus.

THR

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Apparently it only counts for 20 people, out of the hundreds that'd form a full production team. Still, the optics aren't great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Bautista is still making his strong feelings felt in relation to the firing. God, I love the guy. :D

https://twitter.com/DaveBautista/status/1032837400580501506

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,555 ✭✭✭✭Varik

batgoat wrote: »
    Bautista is still making his strong feelings felt in relation to the firing. God, I love the guy. :D

https://twitter.com/DaveBautista/status/1032837400580501506

Pretty sure his feeling may have changed since he tweeted that before the film was put on "hold".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭nix

Varik wrote: »
    Pretty sure his feeling may have changed since he tweeted that before the film was put on "hold".

Doubt it, he doesn't wanna do anymore Guardians without Gunn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,555 ✭✭✭✭Varik

nix wrote: »
    Doubt it, he doesn't wanna do anymore Guardians without Gunn

And he's not now, nor are the offers likely to flow in.

There's a reason the actual actors were taking a softer approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,240 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

His career will be fine. Hes done fair bit outside of Drax before.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Well with Guardians 3 on indefinite hold, Batista will probably find other work, or return to wrestling, he's talked about doing one more run with it.

Gunn took a risk casting him in GoTG and gave him his chance.

Batista knows that and is showing a true friendship that may affect his long term A list Hollywood career however Batista will always have roles in B films amd straight to VOD if he wants them which is pretty much what he is doing now for 90% of the films he is in.

He will never be short of work or money with his wrestling background he can always return to the WWE.

• Advertisement

Not from Disney anyway, hes done plenty of work elsewhere (Blade runner, Spectre) and I'm pretty sure he will find plenty more, what hes doing here is a good thing, most others would think so :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I suppose the MCU had good run of 10 years without a major controversy. I suppose Edgar Wright leaving Ant-man was a little one but not on this scale.

It is such a clusterf*ck

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

nix wrote: »
    Not from Disney anyway, hes done plenty of work elsewhere (Blade runner, Spectre) and I'm pretty sure he will find plenty more, what hes doing here is a good thing, most others would think so :pac:

I thought he was very good in BR2049.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I thought he was very good in BR2049.

He's great, i remember after watching it thinking he's come a long way from shouting down mic's on WWE :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Not really a cluster**** , this will be all swept under the rug soon enough and people will continue to flock to the MCU films

It's when the movies are poor people stop seeing them , look at the effect the last jedi had on solo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,277 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Avengers 4 news which may have an impact should GOTG resume.
    Zoe Saldana is back for pick up footage

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Not related to GotG3, but James Gunn looks set to be the writer for Suicide Squad 2, which is kinda funny, given how obviously the DC film tried to latch onto GotG's punky goofball styling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

pixelburp wrote: »
    Not related to GotG3, but James Gunn looks set to be the writer for Suicide Squad 2, which is kinda funny, given how obviously the DC film tried to latch onto GotG's punky goofball styling.

Being considered to direct as well.

So at a Black Panther event in LA, Kevin Feige confirmed that GotG3 is officially on hold at the moment, though apparently didn't elaborate more than that.

Avengers 4 could end it completely if they wanted too.

• Advertisement

Yeah, they need to end it. As far as I’m concerned there’s no Guardians without Gunn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

pixelburp wrote: »
    So at a Black Panther event in LA, Kevin Feige confirmed that GotG3 is officially on hold at the moment, though apparently didn't elaborate more than that.

I wonder why this is?? What are the plans for the next phase anyway?

Gunn reinstated as director of GotG 3.

Yowsers - the drump-truck of money Disney dropped on Gunn's lawn must have been sizeable.

Great news though; easily one of the best, if not the best writer / director in the MCU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Great news indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

These days it's always refreshing when madness doesn't prevail.

Good to hear.

Presumably they'll be able to get Dave Bautista back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Hopefully the end of career ending tweet culture

Delighted. I was getting concerned about marvel after Avengers endgame but now I'm back on board

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A happy resolution, with the not insignificant disclaimer that all of this should never have ****ing happened in the first place.

Well, color me shocked.

This was Alan Horns statement back in July.
    The offensive attitudes and statements discovered on James’ Twitter feed are indefensible and inconsistent with our studio’s values, and we have severed our business relationship with him.

Soooo, whats changed? everyone knew it was a cluster f**k of a move from Disney back then, and nothing has changed since then. so I wonder whats caused the sudden change. I'd love to know the politics behind this one.

If I'm being honest, I'll admit that I am a bit disappointed, I was kinda looking forward to watching the drama around getting GOTG3 made without Gunn, and then watch it get absolutely slated. The knives were out for this one.

The thoughts of watching this billion dollar franchise go up in smoke was probably the deciding factor... Or maybe after the success of Captain Marvel, Feige pulled rank. I'd love to know what actually happened here.

• Advertisement

kerplun k wrote: »
    Well, color me shocked.

This was Alan Horns statement back in July.

Soooo, whats changed? everyone knew it was a cluster f**k of a move from Disney back then, and nothing has changed since then. so I wonder whats caused the sudden change. I'd love to know the politics behind this one.

If I'm being honest, I'll admit that I am a bit disappointed, I was kinda looking forward to watching the drama around getting GOTG3 made without Gunn, and then watch it get absolutely slated. The knives were out for this one.

The thoughts of watching this billion dollar franchise go up in smoke was probably the deciding factor... Or maybe after the success of Captain Marvel, Feige pulled rank. I'd love to know what actually happened here.

What changed?

Time to allow it all to cool and time for some of the more insane levels of the #MeToo to be put to bed

Advertisement