Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A kilo of cream cheese to use!

Options
  • 29-01-2016 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭

Hi, I was given an unopened kilo of Philadelphia Full Fat cream cheese in work, it's a few days from its use-by date. I heard it doesn't freeze well (and my freezer is stuffed anyways). I am cooking for family tomorrow (5 - 6 adults) so I want to incorporate it into a recipe. Any ideas? I have used it once to make a creamy pasta sauce and it was delicious, but I have diced beef to use and would ideally like to cook it in the slow cooker, but am open to suggestion. I won't be making a dessert so cheesecake is a no go. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Burkie94

If you're making them dessert as well you could do a cheese cake? Other than that I'd be along the same lines as yourself with a pasta sauce or something like that.

Edit: There I go jumping the gun, didn't read through your post fully, sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

If you're making a starter you could do stuffed mushrooms with it. Or a creamy soup, using the cream cheese instead of cream.

Beef stroganoff perhaps? And you could add some cream cheese to mashed potatoes to serve with it. Maybe with some cauliflower cheese (mmmm)

Lots of recipes here for a stroganoff- https://www.google.ie/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=beef%20stroganoff%20cream%20cheese

Oh and it goes really well in scrambled eggs too. Or mixed with herbs/chilli as a dip. You can freeze it once it's airtight but Never fully regains its texture right after freezing so I'd only use it in hot recipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

What shape is it? Is it a nice oval packet?

For a starter this is divine and unusual - it sounds odd but trust me it is divine!!!!
    Skew a knife all around the pack to loosen it up.
    Turn packet upside down and let philadelphia plop out - the pack is like a jelly mould :)
    Drizzle (ok generously pour) sweet chili sauce all over it covering the top and allow it drizzle down the sides.
    Doesn't it look impressive!!

Serve with melba toast - red and yellow box, a Dutch brand available in Dunnes.

People take a toast and dig in - a bit like chip amd dip.

It's fab! I swear it's fab!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

amdublin wrote: »
    What shape is it? Is it a nice oval packet?

For a starter this is divine and unusual - it sounds odd but trust me it is divine!!!!
    Skew a knife all around the pack to loosen it up.
    Turn packet upside down and let philadelphia plop out - the pack is like a jelly mould :)
    Drizzle (ok generously pour) sweet chili sauce all over it covering the top and allow it drizzle down the sides.
    Doesn't it look impressive!!

Serve with melba toast - red and yellow box, a Dutch brand available in Dunnes.

People take a toast and dig in - a bit like chip amd dip.

It's fab! I swear it's fab!

If you have ever lived in Texas and been through a Christmas party season, you will think this recipe is a food group. ;) Any cracker will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Speedwell wrote: »
    If you have ever lived in Texas and been through a Christmas party season, you will think this recipe is a food group. ;) Any cracker will work.

Someone from South Africa gave me this! Texas as well eh?

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

amdublin wrote: »
    Someone from South Africa gave me this! Texas as well eh?

:)

Oh, for sure, there are a lot of oil industry workers shuttling back and forth (I once was one myself!).

Anyway, ON TOPIC... YES it is fine to freeze cream cheese, if you plan to bake or cook with it later (it changes the texture slightly but it doesn't actually ruin it). Cut it into usable size slabs and wrap in plastic, then wrap in foil.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Do you have access to a 10 foot cream cracker?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Any of the hot dips so beloved of American's during the Superbowl. Spinach, Buffalo Chicken, Tangy Cheese.

Aldi or Lidl had a GORGEOUS spicy cheese one in one of their mags during the last world cup, let me see if I can dig it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Thanks everyone! I froze half of it and am working my way through the non frozen half - I had a dollop in soup, in sandwiches, dipped crackers in, was a AMAZING in mashed potatoes (thanks for that suggestion!)... I'm going to start sweating Philadelphia soon :) I like the idea of it with sweet chilli sauce! I'll have that with a cuppa tonight :D

Advertisement