Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NFL Concussion Rate Highest in 5 Years

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

NFL data released Friday revealed that there have been 271 concussions during the 2015 preseason and regular season, the highest since at least 2011.

Helmet to helmet hits accounted for 92 concussions

Knee injuries were also up with 56 ACL sprains and 170 MCL sprains

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2016/01/29/nfl-concussions-at-a-four-year-high/37668/

I don't know the answer to this but is the figure at its highest as there are more concussions or are they simply being recognised & diagnosed correctly now I.e. We are seeing the full extent of the problem whereas before there may have been a lot more concussions hidden.

The increase in knee injuries is no surprise as this would be a natural consequence of the rules against hits to the head. To me this would also indicate that although the numbers reported for concussions are up the actual number of concussions might be reduced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

This is just as a result of the amount of concussion actually being diagnosed and recorded and nothing to do with a particularly bad year.

You can expect a headline like this every year from now on so long as the rules stand until the powers that be are forced to recognise the gravity of the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

No amount of protective equipment or new technologies in that field are going to be able to prevent concussive head injuries. The only way to reduce them will be the introduction of new rules - I can see any and all shots to the head being a penalty, while we may see a rule against shoulder tackles to the knee area or below, leaving a tackle zone from shoulders to just above the knee. Of course, a lot of the concussions I saw this year were as a result of the players head hitting the turf - maybe they can improve in that area.

All this is as a by-the-way if it is true that the major head injuries in later life are not caused by devestating one-off hits that may cause concussion, but in the multiple less powerful collisions that happen on every play and are unavoidable without fundamentally changing the game.

Advertisement