Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Bringing the Bike from America

• 29-01-2016 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

So thinking of moving back to Ireland after 20 years in the States. Obviously the car can't come with me (well, it could, but I'm not psychotic), but would like to bring the bike, a 2010 BMW F650GS twin. Looking at the import tax, would only be about €300 to bring it in, and considering how much I love her, can't say no to that.

That said, what's the story on licensing and insurance? I'm assuming I'd be considered a new rider since my Yank license isn't recognized outside of visits so would have to start from nothing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Man11

ubermick wrote: »
    So thinking of moving back to Ireland after 20 years in the States. Obviously the car can't come with me (well, it could, but I'm not psychotic), but would like to bring the bike, a 2010 BMW F650GS twin. Looking at the import tax, would only be about €300 to bring it in, and considering how much I love her, can't say no to that.

That said, what's the story on licensing and insurance? I'm assuming I'd be considered a new rider since my Yank license isn't recognized outside of visits so would have to start from nothing.

Change your licence to a UK one . Aren't they reconised over there . But you have a year to change it hear , wait a few years then change to Irish one then !
    Yes you definetly have a year to change it .

• Registered Users Posts: 48 ubermick

Man11 wrote: »
    Change your licence to a UK one . Aren't they reconised over there . But you have a year to change it hear , wait a few years then change to Irish one then !
    Yes you definetly have a year to change it .

Someone mentioned the UK one already, but looked into it. Aside from the fact I'd have to move to the UK first and live there for a minimum of four months, there's no exchange from US to UK, would have to go through the whole testing procedure there as well.

Someone mentioned the UK one already, but looked into it. Aside from the fact I'd have to move to the UK first and live there for a minimum of four months, there's no exchange from US to UK, would have to go through the whole testing procedure there as well.

Did you do your first driving test in the us ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

There was a guy on the MAG Ireland team relocated from the states. So from experience, your US license is not recognised. You'd need to start from scratch in Category A. Theory test, permit, IBT, wait six months, test, wear an N vest for two years.

The six month wait I hear can be "worked on" but I don't know the details.

Insurance - When I was involved in MAG every single overseas rider who relocated here had trouble getting cover. MAG made representations to various insurers and so far as I'm aware, nobody was left high and dry. It makes no sense to me but cover was being declined on the basis that the applicants hadn't been resident in the state in the years prior to seeking cover. Some underwriters rule apparently.

Good luck with the move.

Your licence is valid for a year . Do get the international licence to with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,362 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The so-called 'international driving permit' isn't worth a damn, it's only a translation of your existing licence for the convenience of foreign cops and entitles you to nothing you don't already have.

Useless within EU obviously, also useless when host country and destination country are both English speaking.

OP you say 300 (VRT?) but what is the actual shipping cost? Seems an expensive exercise in pointlessness to me.

Scrap the cap!

The so-called 'international driving permit' isn't worth a damn, it's only a translation of your existing licence for the convenience of foreign cops and entitles you to nothing you don't already have.

Useless within EU obviously, also useless when host country and destination country are both English speaking.

OP you say 300 (VRT?) but what is the actual shipping cost? Seems an expensive exercise in pointlessness to me.

But the point im making his licence is valid for a year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

If you move, there should be no taxes payable on your property, including a car or bike.
    As I understand it the 6 month wait is not applicable in the case of people moving.

But the point im making his licence is valid for a year

Nope that only applies to temporary visitors, not if you're becoming a resident here.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

One thing to be aware of is the need for a certificate of conformity (COC) or a EU whole vehicle type approval EUWVTA cert.
    You should check that you can get one first as I know of a few bikes that couldn't be registered because they didn't have one.

• Advertisement

Nope that only applies to temporary visitors, not if you're becoming a resident here.

Yes it does you can drive for a year on us licence , but after the year you have get Irish licence , I know loads of people Tha done it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,685 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I'm interested to know the cost of shipping a bike OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

As you'll be on a Change of Residence, there is no VRT payable.

The licence and insurance as pointed out, are the issue: you'll be starting from scratch basically. Once you're over 24, you can do Direct Access, so I'd just put the head down and get it done.

As to whether or not it's viable/possible or simply worth the bother, I'm currently looking at buying the same bike, here. I can get a July 2009 here for €6900 (with panniers). It depends on what you'd get for your bike in the US and what the cost-to-change would be. If it was as close as dammit considering shipping etc, I'd sell in the US and then buy here.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Don’t give up on your LHD car so fast; it might be worth more to move your personal effects than it’s worth to sell. What does it cost to have a company move everything door to door from CA. to Ireland?

Here’s my plan, load up truck and trailer (bikes in trailer) along with all household and personal effects. Drive to Norfolk Va. load truck and trailer into shipping container bound for Felixstowe, drive from Felixstowe to Ireland. Simple.

You still have the option of selling your vehicle to someone in a LHD european country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

double post.... see page 1

Yes it does you can drive for a year on us licence , but after the year you have get Irish licence , I know loads of people Tha done it .

Sure some people do it but it's not legal, only temporarly visitors can drive on a US licence, and tbh we shouldn't even allow that given what passes for a driving test over there, but tourism is more important than safety apparently.

Scrap the cap!

Advertisement