Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New graphics card and monitor combo

Options
  • 29-01-2016 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, just looking for some quick advice regarding a gfx card and monitor combo. Long version here (short version just read the last paragraph :) )

I built my pc about 5 years ago now and up till now it's managed everything that I've thrown at it at fairly decent levels (due in thanks to my fairly old monitor with a max res of 1680*1050). However with Rise of the Tomb Raider I've started noticing some performance issues so have decided to finally upgrade.

Relevant information:
    CPU: i5-3570k @ stock (might finally overclocl it, have the corsair Hydro H100)
    Ram: 8gb ddr3
    GPU: EVGA 670 GTX FTW 2GB
    Monitor: Benq FF202w
    PSU:FSP 700w Gold
    HDD: SSD

I've had a look around but things have changed dramitically with regards to monitors with the gsync etc so a little lost on what to get.

What I'm looking for is a high end video card with a good monitor that will last me a long time. I've always been happy with Nvidia so will stick with them and was thus looking at a GTX 980 or so(I feel the titan X is silly money for a gfx card!)

Monitor wise I have no idea, are the G Sync monitors worth the extra money? 4K would be nice but not vital I guess (Since i'm so used to 1680*1050 ( :p ). I currently have no interest in VR but always worth a consideration I guess for the future.

My rig, I imagine, will be powerful enough apart from the gpu. Or have I under estimated the need for a more powerful cpu, ram etc?

Long story short, looking for a good graphics card monitor combo and would appreciate some advice. I've no real set budget but around the €1600 mark seems about right though can go more if needs be but for a good reason only. Less would also be very welcome haha. I'm in no rush so can wait patiently till the summer if worthwhile.

Thanks very much folks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Wait and see what Pascal brings I'd say, that's Nvidias new line.

At worst a 1440p 144hz monitor is about €800, and a 980Ti about the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

No point going 4K unless you're willing to settle for having to turn down settings, no single card can really maintain 4K at high quality settings in a lot of the newest titles.

If you have that kind of money to spend, a 1440P monitor with a 980ti is the sweet spot...1600 would get you a 1400p g-sync monitor and a 980Ti. G-Sync monitors carry a hefty premium, however.

Or else just wait it out until new cards are released in summer/autumn and see how they're stacking up.

If you wanted to upgrade now with an eye towards autumn again, a 1440p monitor now and a GTX970/R9 390 would still be a massive upgrade from what you have now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Thanks for the replies folks. Just done a bit of googling WRT Pascal. Looks to be late summer early autumn 2016? Seems like a long ol wait ;)

Will have a think whether I wait, whether I do a mini upgrade but with a new monitor or whether I just go all out now. Paying 2-300 quid for a gfx card now for 8 months seems a bit of a waste though.

If I were to get a new monitor now for a Nvidia card would you guys have any suggestions? Is gsync worth it?

Have just seen an advert for a second hand Gigabyte Geforce Nvidia GTX 970 for sale near me. Think this might just fit the bill to tide me over till the new cards come out.

Still looking to get a monitor if anyone has any suggestions. I guess I'd prefer a G sync one but happy to consider anything that you might wish to recommend.

Thanks again folks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

BKtje wrote: »
    Have just seen an advert for a second hand Gigabyte Geforce Nvidia GTX 970 for sale near me. Think this might just fit the bill to tide me over till the new cards come out.

Still looking to get a monitor if anyone has any suggestions. I guess I'd prefer a G sync one but happy to consider anything that you might wish to recommend.

Thanks again folks

Probably your best bet. 970 be good for now. definitely no point spending top dollar on a 980ti at this point in time. One thing I know shifting high end cards when pascal drops is going to be pain in the ass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Go red team and get monitor and gpu for less than budget and keep spare cash till summer and get something else. Freesync is alot cheaper and is just as good.

I guess i'll hold off on the monitor as well and buy both at the same time. That way won't 'be locked into nvdia or ati.

Thanks again folks

You could also do a lot worse than get a 1440p freesync monitor and something like an R9 Nano, which has dropped to about 450 now.

I haven't used Gsync or Freesync myself so couldn't comment but I hear particularly good things about Gsync, but the price premium is huge, Freesync is far more affordable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

No point going 4K unless you're willing to settle for having to turn down settings, no single card can really maintain 4K at high quality settings in a lot of the newest titles.

If you have that kind of money to spend, a 1440P monitor with a 980ti is the sweet spot...1600 would get you a 1400p g-sync monitor and a 980Ti. G-Sync monitors carry a hefty premium, however.

Or else just wait it out until new cards are released in summer/autumn and see how they're stacking up.

If you wanted to upgrade now with an eye towards autumn again, a 1440p monitor now and a GTX970/R9 390 would still be a massive upgrade from what you have now.

i thought and have seen a a few bench marks to say the r390 x is better then the 980 ti at 1440p :confused: where as the 980 ti always has shown a stronger ability at 4k?

i thought and have seen a a few bench marks to say the r390 x is better then the 980 ti at 1440p :confused: where as the 980 ti always has shown a stronger ability at 4k?

:confused:

Absolutely not. The 980Ti destroys the 390X at all resolutions. Unless you're thinking of the regular 980? Which is far, far slower than a 980Ti. A 980Ti is on Titan-X levels.

• Advertisement

A 980ti is more comparable with a fury x rather than a 390x. The nvidea card is better but not sure if its lead is worth the price premium.
    Also nvidea card means your paying more for a gsync monitor too.

Nano and a 1440p freesync monitor would be sweet

A 980ti is more comparable with a fury x rather than a 390x. The nvidea card is better but not sure if its lead is worth the price premium.
    Also nvidea card means your paying more for a gsync monitor too.

Nano and a 1440p freesync monitor would be sweet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

:confused:

Absolutely not. The 980Ti destroys the 390X at all resolutions. Unless you're thinking of the regular 980? Which is far, far slower than a 980Ti. A 980Ti is on Titan-X levels.

Sorry my bad, i got confused with R9 fury/ fury x/ R9 390x r9 390 and then to add to the confussion the nitro + the fury nano.

Its ridicules trying to remember which car I was fetishing over :o

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Tun_80

Im currently running a 970 ssc on a 27" Acer predator 144hz g-sync monitor (XB270H) its only 1080p, i could have gone for the 1440 but i wanted the most fps i could get on one card, i cant really compare it to anything cos the one i replaced was anchient but the g-sync does feel butter smooth and the viewing angles are excellent (ya wouldnt know its a TN pannel) The two would cost ya about €900, im delighted with mine.

900 euro will get you 1440p freesync monitor and card.
    Wait till summer and see the new releases and maybe snag a bargin on the current cards.

Advertisement