Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Travel to Scotland in the Leaf

• 29-01-2016 9:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭

Tuesday morning I'm travelling from Navan - Dublin Port - Holyhead - Bolton - Dundee. Total mileage of around 800+km. I've done Belfast to Dundee without issues,but I have one concern this time on this trip.
    Do you think the battery will overheat with the amount of FC'ing I'm gonna do??
    I've everything planned - cards, charge points (every 20/40miles)

https://www.zap-map.com

Might do some https://www.periscope.tv to relieve the boredom

https://www.glympse.com to track my journey..

Will put the links up on the day.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Two guys did drive from Land's End to John O'Groats in a Leaf. So I'd imagine you'd be fine!

http://eco-cars.net/blog/john-o-groats-to-lands-end-in-a-leaf/

It sounds like fun, I'd like to take the Leaf on a decent road trip. Best of luck and enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

I've done 9 fast charges in a row on the Leaf without issue.
    If the battery gets too warm the car will refuse to charge for 10-15 minutes until it cools.
    But I've never seen that happen in cold weather.

You'll need a CYC card for many of the rapids in scotland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Scottie99

cros13 wrote: »
    You'll need a CYC card for many of the rapids in scotland.

I've one of the "lifetime cards", so no annual charge.

Regarding the FC'ing, I'm sure I watched YouTube clip of Ian Sampson battery overheat. Not sure if it was an actual FC'er fault that caused the issue or the amount of FC he did. Anyway,I think (from memory) he was towed, it took till the morning to cool.

Your probably right, I shouldn't have any issues..

I think it's ridiculous all these different access cards in the U.K.

You don't get charged different currencies in petrol stations !

• Advertisement

I've three. The NI card, ecotricity and CYC. That isn't too bad, it covers the majority of the UK..

I have my ESB card, CYC (UK but some roaming in NL), Ecotricity (UK), Source London, BMW ChargeNOW (covers a lot of networks), FastNED (NL) and The New Motion (NL and BE).

Belgium alone has 25 different chargepoint networks. I'm going to have to add Sodetrel (FR) in the next few months so that I can use the new Corri-door rapid network this summer. They have no roaming agreement with other networks and require payment of €2 per month plus €20 for the card.

I was driven half mad in London trying to figure out which card had worked to start the charge so I could release my cable.

I have my ESB card, CYC (UK but some roaming in NL), Ecotricity (UK), Source London, BMW ChargeNOW (covers a lot of networks), FastNED (NL) and The New Motion (NL and BE).

Belgium alone has 25 different chargepoint networks. I'm going to have to add Sodetrel (FR) in the next few months so that I can use the new Corri-door rapid network this summer. They have no roaming agreement with other networks and require payment of €2 per month plus €20 for the card.

I was driven half mad in London trying to figure out which card had worked to start the charge so I could release my cable.

Did the journey and left Navan at 0500 on Tuesday morning. Arrived in Dundee at 0250 Wednesday. Navan, Dublin Port, Holyhead, Bolton, Dundee.
    In total I think there was 9 FCs. I had two or three stressful moments but reducing speed seemed to do the trick. All the infrastructure worked perfectly, all in all total success.
    The return journey, feck it, I'm going via Belfast this time.....I'm never doing that run again!!

Temperatures reached 8 Bars but often dropped when on the road by one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭mr.dunkey

Scottie99 wrote: »
    Did the journey and left Navan at 0500 on Tuesday morning. Arrived in Dundee at 0250 Wednesday. Navan, Dublin Port, Holyhead, Bolton, Dundee.
    In total I think there was 9 FCs. I had two or three stressful moments but reducing speed seemed to do the trick. All the infrastructure worked perfectly, all in all total success.
    The return journey, feck it, I'm going via Belfast this time.....I'm never doing that run again!!

Temperatures reached 8 Bars but often dropped when on the road by one.

Im in Scotland Tuesday coming back to Kildare driving a LEAF, It can be stressful, I have a few moments before chargers not starting up, my Phone network not working, its not as easy as people think. If you are someone that gets stressed easy I wouldn't do it. I found stopping more than I need and just taking as long as it needs does it for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Anyone know, whats the situation in France for access to the CHaDeMo network

BoatMad wrote: »

I think this is the guys to use
    http://www.kiwhipass.fr/ou-l-utiliser/carte-des-bornes-disponibles.html#

There isn't a great CHAdeMO network: http://openchargemap.org/app/?view=map-page

Sodritel is going to fix the situation with 200 rapids going in before the end of june.

Scottie99 wrote: »

Where is the rapid in Holyhead? It's on the ecotricity map but I've never been able to find it.

cros13 wrote: »
    Where is the rapid in Holyhead? It's on the ecotricity map but I've never been able to find it.

Didn't use it..

We or I considered traveling through France in the EV. After pressure from the Mrs, we're going Petrol 😀

mr.dunkey wrote: »
    Im in Scotland Tuesday coming back to Kildare driving a LEAF, It can be stressful, I have a few moments before chargers not starting up, my Phone network not working, its not as easy as people think. If you are someone that gets stressed easy I wouldn't do it. I found stopping more than I need and just taking as long as it needs does it for me.

Had an issue at the last FC Girvan heading to Cairnryan. My Ferry was at 1530, all cars had to checked in at 1500. At 1410ish I arrived at Girvan for a "splash and dash" and there was a car charging but no one was there. I was on a Economy Stena ticket, so I had to be there. Thankfully the lad came running down the street and unplugged 😅😅
    Small issues at each chargers can delay you and set you back over a long journey.

Edit having bloody problems uploading pictures

Advertisement