Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend router - booster

Options
  • 29-01-2016 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

Hi Boardies,

I'm looking for some recommendations, I have an old 3 router. It was ok a few years ago but the service is just poor now. I am around 300 mts from the mast with qty 3 transmitters on it from 3 according to the map. But still sh1t service, so I'm looking for help on up grading to a better router and maybe a booster/Aerial.
    Can you help me with a decent router without breaking the bank and any tips for improving the service.

Thanks Esto

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I'm assuming you're using a 3 mobile dongle or MiFi device ? Does it support 4G ? Might be worth simply upgrading to a more modern device. 300 meters isn't that far barring any large structures in the way. Where I live I'm about 500 meters from a mast and could manage about 3 or 4 mbps on 3G. I later changed to a newer AirCard device for 4G but the service (not the signal strength) was awful, seldom got above 1 - 2 mbps.

IMO 3 are over-subscribed leading to major congestion issues on their network. Have you tried any other carriers ?

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Esto Fidelis

Hi Ken,

It's a 4 year old b260a device so I'd imagine I'd doesn't support 4G.

I have a new Vodafone router in work that i might try and see if I can jail break to use my 3 card in. Vodafone or any others are just crap so it's 3 or nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Specifications:

* HSDPA/HSUPA/UMTS capable of up to 7.2 Mbit/s download and 2.0 Mbit/s upload (850/1900MHz) on firmly embedded UMTS/HSDPA modem

* SIM unlocked, free world for all networks

* GSM / GPRS / EDGE-capable (850/900/1800/1900MHz)

Its pretty old alright. Grabbing even a HSDPA+ unit would raise your theoretical cap significantly.

Problem is if its capacity at the tower, then you're plain f'cked.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭chainsmoker556

One thing, never ever by Belkin routers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

One thing, never ever by Belkin routers.

Was true once but Belkin bought Cisco Linksys and have improved, it's Cisco that fcuked up the Linksys brand by chopping and changing components

• Advertisement
Advertisement