Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying used iphone 6s ... what to look out for ?

• 30-01-2016 12:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭

when buying online how do i check its not under contract / blacklisted etc ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Young Blood

pudzey101 wrote: »

Don't know. I have one for sale. It's locked to a UK network.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

very risky. I'd be asking for a receipt and for the owner to ring the network its on to tell them about a change in ownership. You should confirm this over the phone also.

Alot of scamming goes with high end phones like this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

very risky. I'd be asking for a receipt and for the owner to ring the network its on to tell them about a change in ownership. You should confirm this over the phone also.

Alot of scamming goes with high end phones like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

pudzey101 wrote: »

It all depends on where you're buying it from. Always check the seller's feedback. If it's under contract it will be locked to that provider. If it's unlocked and it's a 6s then it could be above board. Before handing over cash check that iCloud is deactivated.

While it can be risky I've bought many iphones on adverts.ie second hand and new and never, ever had a problem, feedback is everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

If the seller is in contract it doesn't necessarily mean the phone is locked. Vodafone will unlock a phone after 2-3 months. A receipt will do very little for you either if the owner reports it lost or stolen. The only way you can protect yourself is buy from adverts etc. from someone with good feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Young Blood

It's risky but then again beggars can't be choosers. If you want to fork out the full amount then go ahead if not, accept the risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭stoksyXL

It's risky but then again beggars can't be choosers. If you want to fork out the full amount then go ahead if not, accept the risk.

What he said ^

If you want a cheap iPhone then you take the chance of it being stolen, blacklisted, water damaged...
    There is a few decent sellers on adverts.ie, but also a lot of muppets. So just be aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭crixos30

Just a thought,just make sure it's not activation locked via iCloud also,get the seller to screen shot the settings/general/about section and get the imei number from here,pop it in to this link https://www.icloud.com/activationlock/
    If it's activation locked ask them to remove the device from find my iPhone if the seller cannot do this for any reason do not buy the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭crixos30

Just a thought,just make sure it's not activation locked via iCloud also,get the seller to screen shot the settings/general/about section and get the imei number from here,pop it in to this link https://www.icloud.com/activationlock/
    If it's activation locked ask them to remove the device from find my iPhone if the seller cannot do this for any reason do not buy the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

It's not nearly as risky as some would make out.

As has been said, and the only real points of importance:

Buy from seller with solid feedback.

In the company of the seller, ring the network that it has been used on and ask tell them that there is a change of ownership (at least there will be a record should the seller want to pull a fast one)

Ensure find my iPhone is off and reset the handset to factory default in the company of the seller, and set up quickly as a new phone for test purposes. Make a call, check speaker/mic, wifi, vibrate, etc; You can undo this and restore from a cloud backup later on from the comfort of your gaf.

• Advertisement
Advertisement