Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accrue holiday pay while out on sick leave

Options
  • 30-01-2016 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭

Hi there, a little advise needed. I have a staff colleague who was out last year for 2-3 months around August-November 2015.
    He tells me that he will be getting holiday pay building up while he was out in sick leave. From google, it says there was new legislation bought in in August that this would be the case.

We are both long term part timers - 30 hours a week and get holidays based on 8% of hours worked.

My question is how would our employer calculate our holiday pay if we are off sick from work- as in getting state benefits while out and then also accruing holidays of 8%, of what though?
    Just question his belief here as I couldn't see it happening...
    Any experience on it here,?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,572 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It depends on the company is the answer. I don't believe there is legislation forcing employers to pay sick pay.

Some companies pay sick pay, some don't.

Company I work in managers and supervisors are paid sick leave, general employees are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

_Brian wrote: »
    It depends on the company is the answer. I don't believe there is legislation forcing employers to pay sick pay.

Company I work in managers and supervisors are paid sick leave, general employees are not.
    Thanks for the reply. We don't get sick pay here but he reckons he will still get holiday hours\days being built up while he was off though?
    This is the legislation - https://www.workplacerelations.ie/en/news-media/workplace_Relations_Notices/AL_accrual_on_sick_leave.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Hi there, a little advise needed. I have a staff colleague who was out last year for 2-3 months around August-November 2015.
    He tells me that he will be getting holiday pay building up while he was out in sick leave. From google, it says there was new legislation bought in in August that this would be the case.

We are both long term part timers - 30 hours a week and get holidays based on 8% of hours worked.

My question is how would our employer calculate our holiday pay if we are off sick from work- as in getting state benefits while out and then also accruing holidays of 8%, of what though?

Your friend is right, he will have accrued Holiday Leave entitlements whilst on Sick Leave .......... his 30 hours per week, whilst on Sick Leave, will be treated the same as if he'd worked those 30 hours when calculating his Holiday Leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

_Brian wrote: »

The question was about Holiday Leave entitlements whilst out on Sick Leave, not Sick Pay itself.

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Your friend is right, he will have accrued Holiday Leave entitlements whilst on Sick Leave .......... his 30 hours per week, whilst on Sick Leave, will be treated the same as if he'd worked those 30 hours when calculating his Holiday Leave.

Thanks for the reply, a friend working in HR said the same today too.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

to answer it simply you do not stop accruing your baseline of 8% while out sick.

8% of the hours you would have been working, ie a doctor signs you off as unfit to work for 3 months, you work full time, you still get your 8% holiday entitlement. weather you get paid sick pay of not.

Its the law now tell your 'friend' that they need to take it within 15 months though

Yep, they got it. Thanks

Advertisement