Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV licence and licensee

Options
  • 30-01-2016 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

I am renting a room in my own house and at the moment I don't have a TV so I am not paying for the TV licence. However I am planning to buy one.

Is the licensee supposed to share the TV licence with me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

<MOD SNIP >

it applies to any tv regardless of what you use it for the exception would be a monitor with no tuner, ie. not capable of receiving a tv signal.

OP, if the owner of the house already has a tv they're paying a license fee that covers all tvs on the property, so there would be no need for you to pay, as they're not incurring any extra expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭pasquale83

not true, it applies to any tv regardless of what you use it for
    the exception would be a monitor with no tuner, ie. not capable of receiving a tv signal.

OP, if the owner of the house already has a tv they're paying a license fee that covers all tvs on the property, so there would be no need for you to pay, as they're not incurring any extra expense.

I am the owner and the licensee and myself are sharing all the expenses. So I think it is natural he will share the TV licence as well. Is that correct? At the end of the day it is another expenses like electricity or internet, isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

pasquale83 wrote: »
    I am the owner and the licensee and myself are sharing all the expenses. So I think it is natural he will share the TV licence as well. Is that correct? At the end of the day it is another expenses like electricity or internet, isn't it?

I am an owner and do not ask my licensee to pay the TV licence. I would consider that to be excessive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Licensees are not on annual leases, so whilst its fair they pay utility bills I think asking them to contribute towards annual bills like this is unfair and a bit mean.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I am renting a room in my own house and at the moment I don't have a TV so I am not paying for the TV licence. However I am planning to buy one.

Is the licensee supposed to share the TV licence with me?

No. As a rent a room scheme is I operation the home owner is responsible.

• Advertisement

MouseTail wrote: »
    Licensees are not on annual leases, so whilst its fair they pay utility bills I think asking them to contribute towards annual bills like this is unfair and a bit mean.

Well, if he uses my TV or any other TV in the house I think it is fair for him to pay. And the TV licence can be paid pro-rata.

Well, if he uses my TV or any other TV in the house I think it is fair for him to pay. And the TV licence can be paid pro-rata.

It's a silly argument. If he doesn't pay will you every him?
    If he doesn't get one and the tv inspector knocks on the door he will just point to you as the home owner and the legal implications land at you.

kceire wrote: »
    It's a silly argument. If he doesn't pay will you every him?
    If he doesn't get one and the tv inspector knocks on the door he will just point to you as the home owner and the legal implications land at you.

OK, let's put it in this way. I think he is not obliged to share it but would be gentle and fair for him to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Man11

<MOD SNIP >

it applies to any tv regardless of what you use it for the exception would be a monitor with no tuner, ie. not capable of receiving a tv signal.

A ha it does not now . There's one for ya

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

at the moment you don't have a tv, and presumably neither does he. if you get a tv for you to watch you are responsible to pay the licence. if, after you get the tv, the licencee decides its perfectly ok to watch/use the tv as he does the other things in the house then i believe he has a responsibility to pay a share of the licence and any tv subscription pack fees.

• Advertisement

hdowney wrote: »
    at the moment you don't have a tv, and presumably neither does he. if you get a tv for you to watch you are responsible to pay the licence. if, after you get the tv, the licencee decides its perfectly ok to watch/use the tv as he does the other things in the house then i believe he has a responsibility to pay a share of the licence and any tv subscription pack fees.

That is exactly what I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭SteM

That is exactly what I think.

Are you going to make him pay half the property tax too?

Imo, there are certain bills a home owner has to pay that should not be passed on a tennant on a rent a room scheme. Tv license and property tax.

SteM wrote: »
    Are you going to make him pay half the property tax too?

Imo, there are certain bills a home owner has to pay that should not be passed on a tennant on a rent a room scheme. Tv license and property tax.

I won't force him to pay TV licence. I will ask in case I get a TV. If he is fine with that what's the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Put it this way, why do you want to annoy your licensee over €80?

Put it this way, why do you want to annoy your licensee over €80?

My choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭SteM

I won't force him to pay TV licence. I will ask in case I get a TV. If he is fine with that what's the problem?

You have to live with this person, share your home with them. Why take the chance of creating an issue between you both that could sour things for the sake of 6.66 per month?

You are buying a TV for your home. Did the licensee ask you to buy one? If they didn't then you really have no reason to ask them to pay half the TV license imo.

My choice.

That it is. It's also their choice to up and leave with an hours notice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

I have never asked any licensees to pay towards the TV licence in my house. As far as I am concerned it is my responsibility to pay for things like that not theres

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Some people are miserable.
    Getting up to 12k tax free per year off some lodger you can boot out on the street without notice and you still want to squeeze 80 euro out of him.
    Have some decency.

Legally the owner of the TV is responsible. So cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Some people are miserable.
    Getting up to 12k tax free per year off some lodger you can boot out on the street without notice and you still want to squeeze 80 euro out of him.
    Have some decency.

Legally the owner of the TV is responsible. So cop on.

Incorrect, regardless of ownership, whoever is using it is liable. However, having had a licensee in my home at one point, I never looked for them to pay towards the licence. I'd agree with sentiments above.

• Advertisement
Advertisement