Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pay as you go sim- top up every month?

Options
  • 30-01-2016 10:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

This is probably a really stupid question but I've never had payg so am clueless and anyone I've asked is also billpay. I need a backup cheap phone I can use for nights out and for walking dogs etc . my smartphone is huge and expensive and don't want to bring with me these times. Can I buy one in Tesco with a new sim, top up once and use that top up indefinitely. I envisage I won't use the credit for months and months, as would only be sending the odd text when I'm out for the night. Don't want to have to top up every month just to maintain the sim

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I'm in the same position, I have a cheapo tesco payg just to carry when running, the credit lasts about 6 months for me as far as I can figure.

I use the sim in one of these, unbelievably small, slim and light and a charge last for months if only switched on a couple of hours a day:
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Cheap-Ultra-Thin-Basic-Mobile-Phone-AIEK-M5-Card-Mobile-Phone-4-5mm-/301458886983?hash=item4630599147
    Charge lasts a couple of weeks or so if constantly powere on. Brilliant phone as an emergency back-up for hill walking, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭clint_silver

same boat here. looking for a sim that I top up randomly when it needs it, not every month.

I cant find a payg sim on tesco thats not part of a plan, how did you get it? do any of the other providors do same?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

same boat here. looking for a sim that I top up randomly when it needs it, not every month.

I cant find a payg sim on tesco thats not part of a plan, how did you get it? do any of the other providors do same?
    I just bought it at a checkout, it's called a simpack and it's €2.50 but you get credit when you first top up. I think meteor give out free sims on their website. You could always email them and ask how long their payg credit lasts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Check out the Nokia 130 on Meteor PAYG. Battery has about one month stand by time. 30 EUR for the phone. Top up every 240 days or you'll lose your credit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

That's perfect. Only top up after 9 months! Thanks
    Am calling into Tesco tomorrow so will see what option to have too but doubt as good as that one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Tesco have a 9.99 phone. But the battery is only 1 week stand by. Alcatel 1010

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Not so much the phone I'm concerned about as how often have to topup

Advertisement