Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the 66-ton wonder

Options
  • 30-01-2016 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

This is an article about some recent titanosaur discoveries, in Argentina. Wonderful! Have a look at the charming illustration: the Abelisaurs, not wee creatures by any means, are nevertheless dwarfed by the huge Notocolossus, now believed to be one of the largest dinos ever! But, as the article reveals, there was another, even more mysterious Argentine titanosaur that was larger still...Read and enjoy!:)

www.post-gazette.com/ae/art-architecture/2016/01/20/Humongous-but...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Story not found?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Linnaeus

The link appeared as I have shown it. There may be some error...At any rate, there are numerous online news items about Notocolossus, if you Google in "Notocolossus" the article I cited will appear...Sorry about that; I really HATE e-mail links, they so often are defective or go awry...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

Yep, story not found...

That's really cool about Notocolossus but, looking at the wikipedia article, it seems all that's known from it are a few bones (the colored ones in this picture):

640px-Notocolossus.jpg

I strongly suspect sauropods (and dinosaurs in general) were a lot more diverse in their body designs than currently believed, and that the old "oh it's a titanosaur, it must have looked like other titanosaurs" approach may be really flawed.
    I'm still waiting for a stilt-legged sauropod or a toothless duckbilled one or something like that; the skulls and complete limbs are very rarely found, so why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

May as well mention in case there's confusion that this is apparently not the same animal I posted about recently (the one from the New York museum and David Attenborough's documentary).

So there's two giant titanosaurs in the news right now.

OK, try these links instead:

amazing-sauropods.blogspot.com/2016_01_01_archive.html

laht.com/article.asp?CategoryId=13936&ArticleId=2404075

The article I originally cited, which speaks also of an even larger, still unnamed titanosaur, is entitled "Some of Earth's largest dinosaurs are discovered", and is surely found at www.post-gazette.com ; as for the rest of the link address, I cannot say, considering that I copied it exactly as I saw it but it does not seem to work anyway. Please do look for this latter article, which is especially rich in details.

• Advertisement

Perhaps the still unnamed titanosur now on display at the New York museum is that ultra-dino mentioned along with Notocolossus, in the article I cited today.

Advertisement