Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I ungrateful or actually underpaid?

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 126 ✭✭Whyohwhy?

I'm sure the revenue are reasonably on the ball, but the service(food or otherwise) industry is ripe for fiddles, always has been and always will be. Same with tradesmen and many others.

To think they are an all seeing organisation, that'll catch you at some stage is a little naive imo.

I must add, I only speculated that the op was in the food service industry, I don't think it was confirmed. I was offering my opinion on what industry they may have been in(based on my experience in an industry that is well known for cash payment/top ups, along with tradesmen...)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Whyohwhy? wrote: »
    I'm sure the revenue are reasonably on the ball, but the service(food or otherwise) industry is ripe for fiddles, always has been and always will be. Same with tradesmen and many others.

To think they are an all seeing organisation, that'll catch you at some stage is a little naive imo.

I must add, I only speculated that the op was in the food service industry, I don't think it was confirmed. I was offering my opinion on what industry they may have been in(based on my experience in an industry that is well known for cash payment/top ups, along with tradesmen...)

You are aware that a. banks are obliged to report transactions above 10k, b. Revenue have been given specific powers in recent years to enforce getting information from banks on levels of transactions in cash businesses etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Stheno wrote: »
    You are aware that a. banks are obliged to report transactions above 10k, b. Revenue have been given specific powers in recent years to enforce getting information from banks on levels of transactions in cash businesses etc?

Love the clutching at straws to burst his bubble.

Considering the banks actually ask you where you got the money from and explain why they need that information I'm guessing the OP knows, that is, if he did try to lodge a large amount.
    Anyone getting cash bonuses knows you don't lodge it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Senna wrote: »

Considering the banks actually ask you where you got the money from and explain why they need that information I'm guessing the OP knows, that is, if he did try to lodge a large amount.

My OH lodged over 40k via cheque a couple of years ago.

No questions asked at all.

Reporting still required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

'not lodging it' is not a magic bullet to hide money from Revenue. All they need to do is look at declared income vs lifestyle (house/car/holiday/assets) and any significant cash income suddenly becomes clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

RainyDay wrote: »
    'not lodging it' is not a magic bullet to hide money from Revenue. All they need to do is look at declared income vs lifestyle (house/car/holiday/assets) and any significant cash income suddenly becomes clear.

Yes any why would they be looking at the OP 's lifestyle vs income, he's a PRSI worker not a contender for a CAB investigation. Straws and clutching comes to mind again.

Anyway, OP, you're not underpaid and best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,662 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Senna wrote:
    Yes any why would they be looking at the OP 's lifestyle vs income, he's a PRSI worker not a contender for a CAB investigation. Straws and clutching comes to mind again.

Why would you feel that people here have an agenda against the OP?
    Your "clutching at straws" statement is off the mark. People are giving their views on the thread taking everything into consideration.

What the OP is doing is morally wrong and outright illegal, just because they may get away with it doesn't change that. I suspect that you might use the argument that some bankers, politicians etc do similar but so what, it's still wrong. And it is difficult to swallow that if you're a fully divulged PAYE worker. More so if you're struggling financially.

I think that attitudes such as yours is why we end up with tales of massive corruption and so on from time to time. The only difference between those and what you are advocating in this case is the scale of the opportunity to defraud. The mentality is the same.

Finally, CAB obviously wouldn't be involved. They wouldn't need to be, Revenue are more than capable of fighting their own battles and if they get an inkling of something amiss, they'll take their time and get to the bottom of it. There is no statute of limitations when the suspect illegal behaviour. They could look at the OP for a number of reasons, as have been mentioned, just because they might not isn't a justification in itself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

//MOD

People while I understand the discussion on the money under the table is a hot topic please return to the topic at hand as per OPs first post.

//MOD

Revenue are not CAB. CAB are not Revenue.

Auditing individuals is just another tool in the Revenue toolbox to use if they suspect cash transactions that they are having difficulty finding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

You seem overpaid, 20k CASH bonus, is like ~40K for PAYE workers as mentioned, yes you work hard, but you make very nice money - so don't complain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Angry bird

Make hay while the sun shines OP. When your personal or family life needs more of your time then look to cut hours or have an exit lined up to a Job where hours suit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭screamer

OP I think you are very well paid for what you do and you've risen up the pay ranks quickly. I know people who work highly pressurised jobs for far more hours then you work who don't get any bonuses or company cars. I don't think you realise how lucky you are TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

screamer wrote: »
    OP I think you are very well paid for what you do and you've risen up the pay ranks quickly. I know people who work highly pressurised jobs for far more hours then you work who don't get any bonuses or company cars. I don't think you realise how lucky you are TBH.

On for heavens sake. He is obviously a very good sales man. He works hard and is rewarded appropriately.

Don't be jealous, be good at what you do and work for an employer who appreciates you. Y you will have no problem earning this to poke of money then. Luck has nothing to do with it...

FrStone wrote: »
    Don't be jealous, be good at what you do and work for an employer who appreciates you.
    I'd have thought that an employer who actually appreciated you wouldn't use illegal methods that expose you to future tax audits, interest and penalties.

Advertisement