Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offsite backup for NAS

Options
  • 30-01-2016 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

I'm going to be installing a NAS in a small business and I'm considering the merits of cloud backup vs. offsite disk storage.

How big an issue is confidentality with the cloud services?

If I went the direction the taking disks offsite would regularity would I need to swap around the disks and do the medium price range NAS devices support such a hot swap setup?

Regarding the NAS devices and hot swap I will admit that it may seem like laziness on my part in that I haven't researched them - I do intend to but just wanted to ask above questions incase someone here has experience and would save me having to dig out that info first....

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I'd look into something like S3 or B2. They have decent security around them, but you are still storing your data on someone else's computer. That said, I've never heard of anyone having major issues with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Personally I use Crashplan, they have TNO so I hold the keys and they just store encrypted blobs for me. Unlimited for $6/mo, more for business plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Bladeserver

Synology and Qnap do some decent inexpensive NAS boxes which you can hot awap in and out HD's if you are looking to bring them off site. You can always go to RDX/TAPE for long term storage as it's cheap and effective..

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭theroomisonfire

I am looking to back up my synology nas offsite. I managed to get crashplan up and running on the nas with some difficultz. Unfortunately, a recent update has meant that crash no longer backs up from the NAS.

Because crashplan isn't properly supported by the nas, I find that the set up of crash plan is just too tedious. Are there any better offsite backup options for a synology nas or has anyone found a better reliable of backing up a synology nas to crashplan. Please bear in mind that I am no IT expert!

Advertisement