Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's normal temp for i5 6600

Options
  • 30-01-2016 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi all,

What's the normal temperature for a 6600 during gaming?

It's being used with the stock heat sink/fan and there is also a sapphire r9 390 in my sons fractal design define r5. Temperatures can run into the high 60s, which sounds too hot to me .

Is this normal? Can somebody give me an idiots guide to checking normal temperatures and more particularly what to do about it if it's too hot?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

High 60s sound a bit warm but you're a good 25-30°c off too hot so you're grand, no need in a new cooler or anything IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭€>sense

Idle temps are mid 20s to mid 30s.

The msi motherboard app doesn't seem to be able to report the cpu fan speed, but I can adjust a fan % for the CPUs fan.

2 large case fans report their rpm in same app.

Also there appears to be "smart" fan control in the app, with a fan % vs temp graph, but I haven't a clue what to do there, no point adjusting anything if I don't know what to adjust for.

Btw son spent a solid 2 hrs on team fortress 2 just now, r9 temp reporting 49C but cpu reporting 62c

Yeah that's not at all anything to worry about

Intel CPUs will work up to 105°C I think, and most AMD cards self throttle at 94°C

You can hit 94 on the card easy but 100°c on a CPU would be unheard of in gaming for the most part

Your idle temps are perfect

Any advice on fan controller settings, or just leave to mb defaults?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Whats your airflow like? That can play a significant role.

CPU Fan on auto is normally fine unless its a whiny bugger, but you can try setting it at 80% all the time to test its effect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I don't think you really need to worry. 60's is perfectly fine, but if you're not happy just get a third party cooler, or else improve the airflow in your case as pointed out above.

From looking at reviews it has one fan on the back of the case, install another on the front taking air in.

Or else add another outtake the top of the case and have two fans taking in air at the front.

2 case fans one at back, one in front. Other temps such as mb and r9 390 are lower than expected. It's very quiet, I'm starting to worry that the cpu fan is not being controlled properly given that I never hear the fan spin up and the mb cannot report its speed. The stock Intel fan does report its speed right?

Motherboard utility (msi, h170 gaming pro) called command centre has sliders and settings for MHz and ratio apparently for each core, and is showing a range of total MHz from 3300 to 3900. Surely that can't be right? I don't have the over clockable 6600k nor the z170 over clockable mobo so It can't be over clocking to 3900? Can it? That might explain the heat tho.

2 case fans one at back, one in front. Other temps such as mb and r9 390 are lower than expected. It's very quiet, I'm starting to worry that the cpu fan is not being controlled properly given that I never hear the fan spin up and the mb cannot report its speed. The stock Intel fan does report its speed right?

Motherboard utility (msi, h170 gaming pro) called command centre has sliders and settings for MHz and ratio apparently for each core, and is showing a range of total MHz from 3300 to 3900. Surely that can't be right? I don't have the over clockable 6600k nor the z170 over clockable mobo so It can't be over clocking to 3900? Can it? That might explain the heat tho.

It's supposed to read temps anyways.

That's the chips inter Turbo I'd say, all core chips have it afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Are you sure you have it plugged into the correct header? Some mobo's have more than one four pin connector but only one will correctly control cpu fan/report temps.

What you're seeing MHZ wise is turbo boost, as in the processor can boost to a higher speed if needed, most intel processors do this.

• Advertisement

There are 2 headers labelled cpu fan 1 and 2. I've tried both headers: the fan spins with both, but neither the bios or Windows mobo tool report the speed of CPU fan.

Could I try swapping a case fan for a minute or 2 just to see if it's a mobo or fan issue? Case fan speed is being read by bios / win mobo tool.

If a fan is spinning, but not reporting speed, can it be fixed with a bit of solder somewhere? I'd rather not tackle a new heat sink/fan with worrying over thermal paste if I can avoid it.

OK re turbo boost, I'm not interested in over clocking, I didn't think tho that turbo boost would have clock/multiplier sliders and 3300 to 3900 is quite a boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Kinda further to this, what is a nice program to log CPU/GPU temps so I can check a graph later? I've never really paid attention to them properly due to having more than sufficient cooling. http://www.thermalright.com/html/products/cpu_cooler/macho_revb.html

Be nice to know how much average headroom I'd have if I started looking into overclocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

Try hwinfo64. I can't remember if it does graphs but it's definitely the most complete PC monitoring app I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Cheers luck. That worked a treat.
    Attached a picture below of my i5 3570K (not overclocked) with that stupidly large cooler. Added GPU (GTX 760) temps for my own interest.

CPU Idle: ~27degreesC
    GPU Idle: ~24degreesC

Playing Borderlands 2 at 1080p high/ultra settings for about 30mins.
    CPU Busy: ~43degreesC
    GPU Busy: ~52degreesC

High 60s seem pretty ok for a stock cooler i'd say. You might get better results if you put down the thermal paste yourself. They kinda overkill it on the stock cooler.

Advertisement