Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eBay clothes

Options
  • 30-01-2016 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

I have just purchased two dresses on eBay. The first one arrived and I was horrified to see a Primark tag. It was listed as 'Atmosphere' without stating that this was a Primark brand. The second was ( I thought ) a great bargain Gok Wan designer dress but have just realised he does budget branding for Sainsbury. Both dresses going straight to Charity shop.
    I did not attempt to return them as technically, sellers did not lie but I feel they have deliberately deceived buyers.
    Anyone else fallen for anything like this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

annascott wrote: »
    I have just purchased two dresses on eBay. The first one arrived and I was horrified to see a Primark tag. It was listed as 'Atmosphere' without stating that this was a Primark brand. The second was ( I thought ) a great bargain Gok Wan designer dress but have just realised he does budget branding for Sainsbury. Both dresses going straight to Charity shop.
    I did not attempt to return them as technically, sellers did not lie but I feel they have deliberately deceived buyers.
    Anyone else fallen for anything like this?

Buyer beware I'm afraid. It's fairly well known that Atmosphere is a Primark brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

What did you 'fall' for?. You got an Atmosphere dress and a Gok Wan dress. You surely bought them because you liked the look of them? Do they look different now that you know they are not designer dresses?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

I had no idea that Atmosphere was Primark as I do not shop there. Also, yes the dresses are different now, I could not wear them to work with confidence.
    They are obviously much cheaper than I paid for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I had no idea that Atmosphere was Primark as I do not shop there. Also, yes the dresses are different now, I could not wear them to work with confidence.

I don't shop there either but I know it. The tip with eBay is to always Google the brand or better still do a reverse image search for the dress. Not a scam at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

This is far from a scam.

They advertised, and you bought, an Atmosphere and a Gok Wan dress.

You got exactly what you paid for, and there seems no reason to think that they deliberately deceived you. When uploading clothes to sell on ebay it asks the seller to list the brand, and this is exactly what they did.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

You weren't deceived. The ad was clearly honest. You bought a brand that you knew nothing about and just made an assumption on it's quality. Surely if you hadn't heard of the brand you'd Google it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,227 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I do not see the scam at all. What I do see is an uninformed buyer. Maybe you should stick to going to the physical shops to buy your clothes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

How do you see that they deceived you? They listed the exact details (even listing atmosphere rather than just saying primark). The did absolutely nothing to deceive anyone. I hope you leave them good feedback. The mistake is yours and yours only.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It's worth noting that the OP didn't feel it necessary to pass a single comment on the look or feel or the merchandise. Nope, pure brand snobbery of the highest order.

How dare Gok Wan design 'budget' clothing for Sainsburys and who would be seen dead wearing Primark?

Misleading thread title, not a scam at all, simply poor consumer research.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Ye, I don't get it either. A dress is either nice or it isn't. My own wardrobe includes expensive stuff and Penneys stuff, whatever I think looks fine on me. I'm sure there are business environments out there where you just couldn't wear a Primark dress. I don't know, probably wouldn't be on to wear some something from Penneys if you're working in the Chanel section in Brown Thomas or so. Fair enough. But unless its that kind of environment its all about how you wear it.

Certainly not fair to call it a scam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I love the idea of people buying second hand clothes on eBay being snobby about penneys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

I did not attempt to return them ....

Why not? Bought online, distance selling reg's cover this - no? You have a right to return.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I don't get it. You liked the look of the outfits so much you bought them but because the invisible tag inside is for a brand you're too snobby to wear means your confidence will be affected??!!

Sounds like you have bigger issues than confidence...the biggest being to get the hell over yourself! Do you realise how shallow and pretentious you are coming across here? Some people....!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

ejabrod wrote: »
    Why not? Bought online, distance selling reg's cover this - no? You have a right to return.

On ebay is it not at the discretion of the seller whether to accept returns, and usually at the cost to the buyer?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Bear in mind that oftern so called High Brands are often made in the same place that Chain Stores are made in. I bought a top in a very well known high end store and came across thw same top in Dunnes. Exact same.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - please lay off on the personal attacks on the OP. That has no place here.

dudara

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Are they though?, have you checked what Sainsbury price the dress at? Even if it is slightly higher it was invitation to treat and the seller hasn't done anything wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

K.Flyer wrote: »
    On ebay is it not at the discretion of the seller whether to accept returns, and usually at the cost to the buyer?

Buy it now transactions are covered by distance selling rules as it's an online sale and eBay rules say that returns must be accepted.

Auctions aren't and returns are at the discretion of the seller unless the items were faulty, damaged or otherwise not as described.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Dodge wrote: »
    I love the idea of people buying second hand clothes on eBay being snobby about penneys

What's with this and all the thanks for it? Because unless I missed something completely - and in fairness to the OP - it says nothing about second hand anywhere. :confused:

K.Flyer wrote: »

Distance Selling regulations

• Advertisement

Treadhead wrote: »
    Buy it now transactions are covered by distance selling rules as it's an online sale and eBay rules say that returns must be accepted.

Auctions aren't and returns are at the discretion of the seller unless the items were faulty, damaged or otherwise not as described.

Correct, listed under the last point in the 'cancellations' section of the Distance Selling regs

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

I would just put it down to experience, OP. You can always resell them on eBay if you don't want to keep them. I buy a lot of clothes on eBay - high end brands usually. People often sell on things that they bought for a special occasion, wore once and are unlikely to wear again, and you can often find things with the tags still on. If you buy brands you know and you know fit you well, it can work very well.

But for me there is no point in buying Penneys clothes on eBay, as they are so cheap to buy new and the cost of postage/Parcel Motel adds to the price. OK for a Hobbs dress costing a couple of hundred new, less ok for a Penneys dress at 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Treadhead wrote: »

To throw another spanner in the works, consumer law only applies when buying from a business. If the ebay seller is a private seller then you've no statutory rights whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

slimjimmc wrote: »
    To throw another spanner in the works, consumer law only applies when buying from a business. If the ebay seller is a private seller then you've no statutory rights whatsoever.

Correct.

The OP has not said whether she bought from a business or a private seller.
    A private sale has no come back whether its auction or buy now.

Advertisement